Help! I seem to have a black thumb

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
Deerstep

Help! I seem to have a black thumb

Post by Deerstep »

So, here's my problem. I'm a poor gardener, but I'm great at wild plant identification. I can even point out a few edible and interesting mushrooms and trees. But as far as planting it and actually cultivating it goes... well, to put it bluntly, I suck.

So how can I be a better gardener? I'd love to grow my own veggies. My town does have a local garden where people can rent out plots and cultivate their food in the city, but before I invest in that, I think I should start a little smaller with a pot of soil. But I seem to manage to kill anything I put into the pot.
"You're mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are." ~Lewis Carroll
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Help! I seem to have a black thumb

Post by SpiritTalker »

Soil, water & light are life to plants. Not all seeds have the same soil, moisture and light needs. Some like sun and lots of water. Some want full shade. Some a bit o'both. Some like heat. Bulbs need to go dormant in cold before they can resprout.

It's easier to start with 4" tall seedlings (or taller) someone else started. If you use seeds, plant 3 to a hole and after they sprout, pluck out the weak one's. Use something like Miracle Grow only after seeds have sprouted, and established several leaves as it kills weeds by stopping seeds from germinating. Plant after all frost is gone & temperatures are above 50' day.

Use a raised bed where the loose soil is a mix of peat, black dirt and some sand to prevent clumping. Soil is everything to a plant so a mix is vital. Roots should be disturbed as little as possible when transplanting. Water 1 inch once a week, twice if it's been hot and windy. It's best to water early in the morning. That means softly soak the soil to a one inch depth. Watering late in the day encourages mold, so that's bad. Resist over fertilizing because it burns roots. Leave them alone as much as possible while they get established & get used to their space.

The bed should be where it gets at least 4-5 hours of sunlight for veggies. Companion planting
helps. Certain plants like marigolds repel bugs from other plants, and plant things together that have similar needs. Space them so they have enough room to grow. Squash needs twice as much space as you think it will! Green beans & tomatoes need to be supported with frames or stakes because they are vines.

Starting seeds in paper or peat pots is a help because you just transplant the whole pot and it disintegrates so you don't handle and disturb fragile roots. There are peat discs that expand when wet into 2" clumps held together with a thread net. They are cheap and great aids.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Wonderful advice, SpiritTalker!

Just wanted to add that for a beginner, it is easiest to chose veggies that have been traditionally grown in your area (and I mean your town, think really local). With these, you have the highest chance of success because generations of farmers tested that your climate is suitable for them. This is especially true if you live in moderate or colder climate.

So maybe ask older folks what and how was done traditionally in that place.

For example, I tried to plant some seedlings in half April as I read it was OK. When a neighbour saw me he laughed and said that in this area I should wait till second week of may.

I thought that it was nice and warm, the sun was shining, temperature was almost 20C so I ignored his advice. Guess what? The frost came and destroyed everything.

So yeah, talk to old gardeners and listen to their advice :-)

Once you learn basics, than you can experiment with something more exotic.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

Get on Pinterest and start pinning everything you can find! There are many expanded explanations of everything that SpiritTalker told you, but with pictures :)
Tomatoes are usually pretty easy "patio" plants to grow. I've also had pretty good luck with most peppers.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

My first 2 years of gardening were unproductive, and I nearly gave up. Everything I touched keeled over and died, was eaten by birds, or worse...worms, bugs and snails. Eventually I learned, and had some fun and hard work. There are few pleasures to equal eating a sun warm tomato you've just plucked. And they grow well in five gallon buckets you can move around to get more sun.

FYI yarrow, mint and oregano spread like wildfire and thrive on neglect. Some I'd planted from 25 cent seed packs over 20 years ago is still going strong in mine and all my neighbors yards, & along the alley...and sweet peas return in new places on my fence wherever they want. It's always fun to see them come again. it's a joyful, friendly plant.

If you're interested in natural home style gardening, check out master gardener Jerry Baker.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

I also find lettuce, radishes and green beans very easy. Totally agree with mint :) And chive! There's no better breakfast than good fresh crunchy bread with butter and chives straight from your garden :)
HighMagickHaven

Post by HighMagickHaven »

Moonraingirl (what a nice name by the way) that sounds delicious. I would love to have garden that I could cultivate. All the plants I buy I set them as Spiritual Defense. They always seem to wither. I Imagine that they deal with a lot of negative energy that comes my way that they wither away. Anyways I wish you Luck Friends.

Blessings and Light.

Return to “Gardening”