Guerilla Gardening/Gathering

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
Pallando

Guerilla Gardening/Gathering

Post by Pallando »

Condo living has its merits, certainly. But, one of the down sides is that I do not own land. Nor do I have a place to tend a real garden with the hundreds of trees, herbs, flowers, ferns, bushes, mosses, mushrooms, etc that a good spellweaver needs.

I have been discovering and creating an alternative.

Guerilla Gardening is an actual thing, and not exactly what Ive been doing... but it surely sounds appealing so I chose to borrow the term for my title. It truth guerilla gardening is the art of growing a community food or beautification garden on abandoned inner city lots... reclaiming, and re-purposing if you will. http://www.guerrillagardening.org/

This post is not about that. It is about witchcraft.... ninja stealth witchcraft.

Frankly, when I visualize an ancient herbalist, I see multiple canvas and leather pouches slung on belts and over shoulders. I see a stroll through meadows, glades, and groves to familiar haunts. I see a pause, a stoop, a prayer and a pluck, as well as a tending, maybe by watering, pruning, training or protecting for each needed plant as it sits in its real environment, surrounded by its duller competitors.

This is exactly what Ive been doing.... without owning the land ;)

My technique is to find, with relaxed wandering (and marking on my hand drawn map (and by gps :))) all over my city. I am noting and revisiting all sorts of plants, as well as soil types, stone sites, hives, nests, dens, rubs, etc, that exist on public or non-residential private land, and ... well... garden them. I do avoid trespassing on ALL residential and all developed commercial land, and have had exactly ZERO trouble from fellow citizens or authorities to date.

I am blessed to live in a neighborhood that has a public alley that separates every house from its back fence neighbor. These alleys run parallel to the long streets and, though intended to be passed through by vehicle, they are generally untended grass and overgrown to the point of near wilderness. They have also been over taken by the various back yard plantings that have escaped the confines of the fenced areas, and spared a reprieve from the dreaded lawn mower and weed killer. While these literal MILES of free gardening spots provide most of my needs, I have also found much luck along the edges and tree lines of many public parks. There is even opportunity at the back sides of commercial parking lots, where there hasn't been any business yet to replace the native wilderness there.

Yes... this method has its risks, such as showing up to find a bulldozer has visited, or a home owner has finally mowed outside the fence. So duplicate plantings are recommended, but duplicate planting is just good conservation anyway. Plus, there is a certain thrill to the adventures and the searching, and the not knowing, and the relief at seeing old plants that have survived and even improved by my tending at my last visit. And there is also the added benefit of being outside with the God and the Goddess in dozens of 'my gardens' from river bottoms to hill tops, as opposed to rushing out the kitchen door to tend to 'garden chores' between other chores.

Frankly, this is what grounds and feeds me most on my path. This one thing. If I owned the land necessary to hold my gardens, I dont think I would be spiritually expanding at nearly the rate that Ive enjoyed so far.... its the strolls, and the purposeful explorations that feed me. So, if herbalism calls you, but land ownership eludes you.... try Guerilla Gathering to start, and keep a map. I'll wager, that soon you'll find yourself planting and praying along the way to becoming a Guerilla Gardner... pagan style.

Just food for thought.

Merry met.
Pallando the Blue

Pallando

Re: Guerilla Gardening/Gathering

Post by Pallando »

I'm new here, and the above post is my first offering to the community.
I hope I have chosen the correct placement for it.

If not, please forgive me and let me know where it gets moved to?
freyja13

Post by freyja13 »

Pallando wrote:I'm new here, and the above post is my first offering to the community.
I hope I have chosen the correct placement for it.

If not, please forgive me and let me know where it gets moved to?
Beautiful picture!
Are you in Europe or the U.K. by chance the reason I wonder is that their laws are a lot more lax when it comes to land compared to say Arizona lol.

I'd suggest reposting in the Garden forum. I'm pretty sure there's one around here somewhere.

What kinds of plants do you find thrive in your secret gardens? How often do you check on them? Do you plant native plants or also non natives?

I love this idea and would love some help. There's a huge piece of land behind my condos however I don't know where would be best to grow my magickal herb garden.

Blessings,

freyja13.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

What a wonderful activity Pallando! I love the idea and I can imagine how beneficial it must be for you and for the environment.
Please tell us more, I'm very interested in the questions that Freya asked.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Good ideas. Not too far from my house, across the river, a neighborhood garden has been flourishing in a huge empty lot. it's been going for a few years. Other blocks make impromptu parks.they clean up the space and move in several swing sets.
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

freyja13 wrote:
Beautiful picture!
Are you in Europe or the U.K. by chance the reason I wonder is that their laws are a lot more lax when it comes to land compared to say Arizona lol.
Im in Texas. The whole point is that Im working basically on right of way land. Owned by the city, but it is just little tiny pieces of world that no one uses... and if I DO stick a seed in the ground... whos gnna be mad that I planted a flower in the dirt? I bet if you take off waking, you'll find LOTS of places to dig in a tree, a bush, a flower, a 'weed' or an 'herb'.
freyja13 wrote: I'd suggest reposting in the Garden forum. I'm pretty sure there's one around here somewhere.
ICwutUdidTHere
freyja13 wrote: What kinds of plants do you find thrive in your secret gardens? How often do you check on them? Do you plant native plants or also non natives?
Almost exclusively natives, I dont want to introduce foreign species that will cause troubles, and might even get me in trouble... the exceptions would be the edible herbs. I walk out in my mother and father's world almost every day. It just happens that I am walking with a small trowel, a couple bottles of rain water and a couple little burlap sacks to fill as I go ;).... I dont actually have two or more plants sitting next to each other anywhere. My plants are just where ever I have found a wild rose bush, an echaenacia, or a willow tree, etc.... I note them... i tend them... and I harvest them. The whole city is my garden. I carry about 30 - 40 types of seed along with me in little envelopes as well.... and when mother or father nudges me to do so.... I give them another little wildflower, or butterfly bush, or basil plant. No plan, just awareness...... when you harvest your own seed, it is easy to just scratch the soil and sprinkle a few dill seeds, or acorns out... say a prayer, sprinkle a bit of water, and move on.

If you put things all in a row... all edged and marked.... youre gonna get attention from someone. I dont mind if my plants get attention.... just not me. So, just stick em in at random spots and go back to see the occasionally.

freyja13 wrote: I love this idea and would love some help. There's a huge piece of land behind my condos however I don't know where would be best to grow my magickal herb garden.
Instructing a beginner is easy.... just go out there into that lot and walk around with no plan whatsoever.
Look.... feel.... smell.... take pictures.... mother a father dont think you visit enough anyway.... go see them.... and listen to them. They will show you what, where, when, and how.... enjoy, and tell them I said hi.

Blessed Be
Pallando the Blue
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

This is a quick snap of my desk. You'll see a few rose hips from yesterday's walk and glass jar that is being filled with a type of butterfly bush seed. in the little envelope are a few vine seeds.... its flowers arent pretty but the bees love them, so I keep a few growing along my routes.

PS... as long as this thread remains active, Ill continue to fill in pics and info.

It is winter here, and though short, it means that most of my efforts at the moment concern gathering seeds. That doesnt make for very exciting pictures, but I'll get some in the next few days anyway. As spring comes along, If there is still interest via posts here from you all.... Ill just use this as my little diary of wanderings.

Blessed Be
Pallando the Blue
freyja13

Post by freyja13 »

Pallando the Blue,

I am so happy to have read your post. I am going to try and go out after Yule and scout some good spots for spring gardens. We all would love to hear more of your adventures growing herbs and in general beautiful experiences in the wild. :)

Blessings,

freyja13.
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

The cold snap broke today in southern Texas, and the mid day temps got all the way up to 60+.
Plus it happened to be a scheduled day off from the office ;)... so I hit the path briefly.

Went to one of my holly plantings, and found that none of the trunks are big enough yet for a wand, so I tended them a little, left a gift of water and dark soil, and harvested four of the middle sized 'trunks' with about 100 total leaves. They will be used as components for spells concerning dream magick, luck, and love.

It occurred to me that I do not have an Ivy planting of any kind to harvest from. That must be rectified this spring. I already have many pine cones and needles harvested last Yule, so I didn't harvest anything there today. So my apothecary gained a jar of Holly leaves and four pieces of Holly wood... all harvested on their highest power correspondence day.

I also gathered a few large bamboo leaves that had luffed off onto the ground. Big, Flat, Hard surfaced... Seems like they may be easy to write upon, and that they would burn quite well. Looks like its time to use the ink I made out of wild persimmon skins earlier this year.
I believe I'll offer some luck spells for my new friends here on EUTM.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

:flyingwitch: :D ::coolglasses:: :mrgreen:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Gremlins wouldn't let me type letters...very weird.

Anywhoo, really love this. I think plating natives is a great idea. Is Ivy a native?
The only disadvantage to this sort of thing where I live would be tbe high volume of traffic in the said work zone ...not to mention the lack of places to do such a thing, but you have raised my green cockels and I shall keep an eye open to my urban areas that would be a good candidate for such....I'm especially fond of California poppies and now would be the perfect time to go a sowing...(we just had rain and are due for a bit more.)
We have a guy locally who plants cactus varities on one corner of a main Blvd. intersection that had been pretty unsightly for as long as I can remember...even though they aren't necessarily native to here, they fit the drought bill. And he used a good variety of textures and colors.
I shall stay tuned loveface
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

Found some Ivy.

Its growing up a fence at the back of a office building parking lot.

Funny what the Lord and Lady will give you if you just ask.
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

AAAaaaaaaaand,
Thank you Mother and Father.

As requested from our Lord and Lady, all the components of an upcoming Good Luck Ritual are coming together.

Also found recently;
Mexican Buckeye Tree for a new wand. Working on spell/ ritual for the collection of a branch from the mother tree.
Thrift store copper kettle
Bamboo leaves (pictured earlier)

Now to learn how to nurture and tend this wild clover right where it is... maybe even transplant some to my small home container garden.
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

Found this wonderful Coral Vine(http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2050/) very early in my parking lot explorations.

I have been waiting not so patiently for the right time to gather some seed, and as all the local non-retail businesses in town are closed today, I thought Id swing by.... perfect timing;

In under fifteen minutes I collected enough seed to fill both of my gardening pouches, and after 'shelling' one of the bags, I have a JACKPOT of seeds to store.

This vine is classified as Invasive II in my region, so I wont guerilla plant in. But Ill save the seed for an arbor covering or a low fence topper, once I have my own land.

Merry Meet,
Pallando the Blue
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

Yes, please.
Ill have some of this for my apothecary, my pressed flowers, and for adding into my paper pulp for Luck Spell sheets in my BoS.

If you look back in this thread, youll see that I found this plant some months ago, and I have been tending, protecting, watering it etc, on my wanderings. Thank you Lord and Lady.

Return to “Gardening”