Tomato and strawberry advice

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

I simply cannot stop day dreaming about my garden plans next year! Last year, I really got into it. Reading everything I could and learning a lot as I went. Anyways, I don't know everything and I was wondering if anyone here had any advice for me..?

I'm planning to grow tomatoes next year. I'm an urban gardener so space is limited to 3, 3x6 ft raised beds. I want to grow 2 Roma, 2 beefsteak (or some sort of slicing tomato) and 2 cherry variety, (I'm thinking red robin) in hanging baskets in going to hand on the fence. When reading into the red robin type, I read it was an open pollinator and I had to look that up. So that got me looking into plant pollination and realized I don't know as much as I think I do. If I have more than one type of tomato plant in my garden, do I need to worry about cross pollination? If so, would spreading them out away from each other help any? In reality, there's not much room to split them too far because 2 of the beds are full sun and the 3rd is partial shade, and the tomatoes need to go in the full sun beds.. So does anyone happen to know??

Next question in about strawberries. I've started making a homemade strawberry planter. I want to plant perpetual strawberries and I know it will take a couple of seasons to get any fruit from it. Because of the shape of the planter, I going to have to plant the strawberry seeds into the planter, I don't think transporting them is going to work. So my question is, when do I plant the seeds? I've read some that say to plant fruit seeds in February. But, our last frost down here is usually mid to late April. Will the seeds be okay outside in the planter until then? Should I wait until April?

Thanks to anyone who can advise!

Rosie
Bychan Wulf

Re: Tomato and strawberry advice

Post by Bychan Wulf »

About the tomatoes I have to ask my mother in the morning.
Regarding the strawberries, they are usually planted in autumn,so that they can get used to the soil and be protected during the winter. It also counts,what kind of seeds do you have. If you live in Europe, the spanish seeds are the best. They are very resistent and make fruits in the first year. Beginning with the second year, they start making fruits in May and end in October/November. It's really funny when you pick up strawberries from under ther snow.
For the more resistent type of seeds,April is ok. Actually,they can be planted when snow and ice melt down. Because they are resistent, it's hard to fail. Once planted, these things will try to take over your entire garden ;-)
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

So this isn't mine, mine isn't finished, but this is what the planter looks like:

So I'm not too worried about them taking over, since they will be hanging down. So it would be okay to plant after the last snow but before the last frost? If I have resistant seeds? I live in the southern United States actually, but u can order seeds online if I need to. I want them to get going as soon as possible but I don't want to ruin them.

Rosie
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I have never successfully planted strawberries...

But tomatoes are impossible to kill :)

I'm looking forward to gardening this year as well.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

I've done all of my veg gardening a few months ago! I have about 6 different cherry tomato varieties. I can't remember all the names off the top of my head but Smogie is right tomatoes grow like weeds and are pretty hardy.
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Don't let your cat build it's toilet there;it's the only thing that kills them :))
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

I know, that stinkin' cat! lol, she has tried to use it as a toilet, I run her off every time I see her do it. She seems to do it more when it's empty than full too.

I know tomatoes are hardy, but should I worry my different varieties will cross pollinate?

Rosie
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

No, as far as I know they won't. Unless someone knows something I don't?! Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

Just did a quick google search http://www.sheknows.com/home-and-garden ... ollination
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I don't think cross-pollination can occur either. It's not impossible though...many strange things grew on farms in the last few years.I'm kidding, don't worry,there is almost no chance of cross-pollination. ;-)

What I know for sure,Rosie, it's that cherry and roman tomatoes can't grow if they are too close to each other. The roman ones ,tend to grow many leaves and take all the sun from the poor cherry tomatoes. Cherrys also grow high,but they are a lot weaker than the others.
CleverlyDisguised

Post by CleverlyDisguised »

Apparently bat guano is really good for tomatoes

A man's Magick demonstrates what sort of person he is, what is held most deeply inside of him.
There is no truer gauge of a man's character than the way in which he employs his strength, his power. -- Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden
Ego sum vir prudens non magicis artibus...
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Bychan Wulf wrote:I don't think cross-pollination can occur either. It's not impossible though...many strange things grew on farms in the last few years.I'm kidding, don't worry,there is almost no chance of cross-pollination. ;-)

What I know for sure,Rosie, it's that cherry and roman tomatoes can't grow if they are too close to each other. The roman ones ,tend to grow many leaves and take all the sun from the poor cherry tomatoes. Cherrys also grow high,but they are a lot weaker than the others.
Thanks for that advice! Luckily I have the bed planned out so that the cherries and Roma's won't be sharing the same soil. The cherries I'm actually planning to out in some hanging planters this year and mount them to the fence. They should get plenty of sun there.

Rosie
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

That is great! I think you will have a couple of happy plants in your garden this year... smiley_dance
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Ethereal Moon Rose wrote:No, as far as I know they won't. Unless someone knows something I don't?! Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

Just did a quick google search http://www.sheknows.com/home-and-garden ... ollination
Finally got time to read this! Thanks so much for sharing! Looks like if they do cross pollinate, no biggie, still safe to eat. It's only the seeds that could possibly become hybrids, but even then not very likely. I also learned tomatoes are self pollinators and don't need outside forces to make fruit, like cucumbers from this article, so that's why the chances would be lower I think. But, since I'm going to have cucumbers and many other plants in and around the same garden, I think that's going to raise my chances of it happening, from insects. It's okay though, I just won't use the seeds. So good to know!

Rosie
Pallando

Post by Pallando »

Here is EVERYTHING you need to know about cross polination:

1) Unless you actively work to eliminate it, it WILL happen.
2) It doesn't matter at all with respect to the fruits that will grow. The fruits get their instructions from the plant, not the pollen.
3) Only the SEEDS of the new fruit will be affected, so dont expect to harvest purebred seed out of fruits that come from unprotected flowers. They will almost certainly be crossed if there is more than one variety growing in the location at the same time. Yay Bees!!
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Pallando wrote:Here is EVERYTHING you need to know about cross polination:

1) Unless you actively work to eliminate it, it WILL happen.
2) It doesn't matter at all with respect to the fruits that will grow. The fruits get their instructions from the plant, not the pollen.
3) Only the SEEDS of the new fruit will be affected, so dont expect to harvest purebred seed out of fruits that come from unprotected flowers. They will almost certainly be crossed if there is more than one variety growing in the location at the same time. Yay Bees!!
Super! Thanks for clarifying!

Return to “Gardening”