Magickal Gardening - A How-To

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I've seen a few threads about dying plants, or how to get started with gardening, so I thought I'd make a sticky to start combining helpful suggestions and ideas of what you can do to ensure your plants longevity and to help your garden prosper during any season as you can not only keep them outside but inside as well! Please PM me or another moderator so that we may add it to the guide here so it all stays together! (: (That is, until this part gets too long and then we'll figure out how to make it look nicer from that point. Haha. ) Thanks!

Getting Started

There is no right or wrong way to create a garden which is why this section is going to be incredibly short and vague. Those on this path know that Wicca and any kind of witchcraft is incredibly specific to its practitioner. However, I can give some good guidelines/questions of what to consider to help you get started:

- Where will you be keeping your garden? Is it going to be an indoor garden or is it going to be outdoors? If you are planning on having it outdoors, then make sure the plants you choose will prosper in the area you choose. Keep in mind if it's shady or if it's extremely sunny as each plant has different needs. The same goes for your indoor gardens, but there are also artificial lights that can be purchased and used to help keep these plants alive.

- What kind of garden do you want? There are more options out there than just flowers. Some people like to keep herb gardens, which are great for magickal practitioners to keep on hand. It's definitely a lot cheaper too! Then of course, there are also fruits and veggies that you could try to grow. My family used to keep a hydroponic garden in the basement and for those that aren't familiar with that term, it's gardening without the soil. There's a system of water that keeps the plants hydrated and it's a much more energy efficient way to garden, I do believe. Don't quote me on that, as I never helped out with their garden. Haha.

- What is your budget? Of course this might be a no brainer, but you'll want to plan out how much money you're willing to spend on this. Some seeds are pricier than others, and it also depends on where you get them from too. Research into different places you can get your seeds and plants from. I do wish to warn, however, that you do not want to import seeds and you can read about it on the sticky found here: Invasive Species & the Danger of Importing Seeds.

- Do you have children and/or pets? Some plants (such as lupines and hyacinth), while beautiful or wonderful in smell, may not be safe to have around young children or pets that will not know any better. This is not to say that you can't keep plants like this in your yard or home, but you'll want to make sure you keep a close eye on the little ones to ensure nothing happens.

- What is your schedule like? Some plant species require a lot of care and work, believe it or not. While most plants need water and sunlight to create their food, some plants require extra steps to care for them. An example of this would be the lovely flowers called Orchids. They require a very specific amount of water, and also specific lighting as they are originally from rainforests and dwell in the canopy under the leaves. They are usually shaded a bit and don't get direct water from rain, so they can't be incredibly wet (which means not watering daily) and also can't be in the direct sunlight as they usually only catch glimpses through the leaves. These are important things to keep in mind!

I am sure I'm missing some things, but this is meant to be something that can be expanded upon! So don't be afraid to share your ideas and experiences!

My Plants Are Dying/My Plants Aren't Growing!

There are different factors that might play into why a seed or a plant isn't growing or may seem to be perishing. Some of the most common include:

- Too much light
- Not enough light
- Too much water
- Not enough water

Sometimes, things such as temperature can effect a plant as well and coming from a magickal stand point, I do believe that plants can pick up on negativity around them and that can poison their systems as well. Now, this is not the belief for everyone, but I just wanted to add it in here.

How can you fix this?

Unfortunately, the tips I can give you will really only work for still-living plants. I have yet to see a plant come back from the dead (and we're talking a plant that has fully lost its life force and has reached the point of no return). If anyone has ever been successful at bringing something so far gone back, I'd love to hear about it below! You may not be giving the plants the right kind of environment, as stated above with the water and the sunlight. Take a hard look at the conditions the plants are living in, and this may help you find the source of your problem! If this doesn't work, however, here are some tips:

- Examine the plant: Plant leaves and the condition of the plant can tell you many things about your plant's health. Is it bending over? Do the leaves seem really dry or really droopy? These can tell you the problems your plant might be having. Dry leaves can mean not enough water is being given, while droopy leaves can mean too much is being given but also can mean you're not giving enough. Plant body language is a skill that all gardeners should learn!

- Look online: A lot of people out there garden and a lot of them may have very well run into the same problems as you! Look around forums and websites, to see if you can find the problem your plant is having to find suggestions. It may be a vitamin problem, for example, which can be fixed in different ways. Some of which I've seen before, is using egg shells in the soil. My grandmother used to do this, and showed me to do it with my own plants.

- Energy Healing/Reiki: Believe it or not, plants can be healed by the same energy healing means as humans can be. This doesn't mean you have to believe they have a consciousness, of course, but because they are living they do have energy which is how they grow. You can always try to send them white light and healing energies if they aren't seeming well. I've known many people who use this - and I myself do too! - who have had great luck with it. I usually put my hands on the soil or the pot itself, and imagine white light filling its roots and spreading up through the plant's body to heal itself.

Thank you to Levitating Cat for submitting the following:

Gardening by the Phases of the Moon
(Source: http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/phases.html)
Planting by the moon is an idea as old as agriculture, based both in folklore and superstition, but there are scientific ideas to back it up The Earth is in a large gravitational field, influenced by both the sun and moon. The tides are highest at the time of the new and the full moon, when sun and moon are lined up with earth. Just as the moon pulls the tides in the oceans, it also pulls upon the subtle bodies of water, causing moisture to rise in the earth, which encourages growth. The highest amount of moisture is in the soil at this time, and tests have proven that seeds will absorb the most water at the time of the full moon.

New Moon
At the new moon, the lunar gravity pulls water up, and causes the seeds to swell and burst. This factor, coupled with the increasing moonlight creates balanced root and leaf growth. This is the best time for planting above ground annual crops that produce their seeds outside the fruit. Examples are lettuce, spinach, celery, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and grain crops. Cucumbers like this phase also, even though they are an exception to that rule.

Second Quarter
In the second quarter the gravitational pull is less, but the moonlight is strong, creating strong leaf growth. It is generally a good time for planting, especially two days before the full moon. The types of crops that prefer the second quarter are annuals that produce above ground, but their seeds form inside the fruit, such as beans, melons, peas, peppers, squash, and tomatoes. Mow lawns in the first or second quarter to increase growth.

Full Moon
After the full moon, as the moon wanes, the energy is drawing down. The gravitation pull is high, creating more moisture in the soil, but the moonlight is decreasing, putting energy into the roots. This is a favorable time for planting root crops, including beets, carrots, onions, potatoes, and peanuts. It is also good for perennials, biennials, bulbs and transplanting because of the active root growth. Pruning is best done in the third quarter, in the sign of Scorpio.

Fourth Quarter
In the fourth quarter there is decreased gravitational pull and moonlight, and it is considered a resting period. This is also the best time to cultivate, harvest, transplant and prune. Mow lawns in the third or fourth quarter to retard growth.
More information: http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com

That is all I can think of for now! As more things come, this topic can be edited to have advice and ideas that will help others out. This is merely the beginnings of a guideline towards gardening.

I hope it helps!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
valerian moon

Re: Magickal Gardening - A How-To

Post by valerian moon »

question: if my annual vinca is completely dried up and dead, can i possibly bring it back to life by watering it and sending healing energy?
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Unfortunately, as I mentioned on here, if the plant is so far gone, I don't think you're going to be able to bring it back to life. ): I've not seen this happen just yet, but I could be wrong. I've just never experienced it before and usually when something's dead it's dead. It doesn't hurt to try, though! But I can't promise it would work.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

This is a lovely guide, Sakura, very well put together! Thank you for writing it up! :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Thank you, Heartsong! (: I can preach it, I just can't do it... Haha! I really need to work on getting a garden at my new house.

Lillady

Post by Lillady »

Just read this guide for the first time as we are moving into our new house Friday and I have been given the go ahead from mgmt to plant a garden! I am so excited havent gardened or planted in years and have been itching to. Just hard to when you live in an apartment, whether it is indoors or out. Thanks!
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

No problem! I've been considering gardening here too, even though it's a rental. The yard is a mess, and it'd be nice to bring some aesthetics to the outdoors here. The yard has so much potential to be beautiful. I'm sure the landlord wouldn't care. Haha.

I wish you luck with your endeavors!

Luna87

Post by Luna87 »

A very useful thread in deed :) As Imbolc is not to far away, I have start to plan out my ideas for the garden. So I have made a place build up surrounded by stones were my herb garden will be. Planning on haveing strawberries in pots, some vegetables on a spot in the front of the house and some different flowers. Still I am wondering which types of plants or herbs would be good on a balcony?
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

This information is so useful, Sakura and Levitating Cat! Thank you so much for sharing this!
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

No problem, Seraphin! I'm glad it's beneficial!

Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Luna, I honestly think any herbs would be. (: I'm not super knowledgeable on herbs but if I remember correctly any kind would be alright. You can also have an indoor herb garden too as my grandmother used to do that. If you like ivy, that could be nice too. Are you using a flower pot that goes on the railing for it or are you using something else? Marigolds would go well and pansies too. Snap dragons are also a good choice!

Luna87

Post by Luna87 »

Sakura Blossom wrote:Luna, I honestly think any herbs would be. (: I'm not super knowledgeable on herbs but if I remember correctly any kind would be alright. You can also have an indoor herb garden too as my grandmother used to do that. If you like ivy, that could be nice too. Are you using a flower pot that goes on the railing for it or are you using something else? Marigolds would go well and pansies too. Snap dragons are also a good choice!
Thanks :) I am planning on start growing my herbs inside first :) I have three balcony and have not decided on how to do it :D Still I love your tips :) Hm Maybe I will have some flower bed boxes to hang over the balcony for herbs? Like the idea of Sunflowers in big flower pots on the balcony. Trying to have different themes on each balcony and also on my small garden :) Can`t wait for the return of spring :)
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Sorry to chime in here out of the blue, but I have been getting lots of fantastic ideas for vertical herb gardening to save space on Pinterest! If you are interested you should check it out!
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Thanks for sharing that with us Rosie, we're going to check it out!
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Luna87

Post by Luna87 »

Rosie wrote:Sorry to chime in here out of the blue, but I have been getting lots of fantastic ideas for vertical herb gardening to save space on Pinterest! If you are interested you should check it out!

Return to “Gardening”