rowan tree

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
movingcloud

rowan tree

Post by movingcloud »

I am looking for a rowan tree to plant in my back yard and have had no luck. I would like to start it as a seedling. Does anyone know anywhere in the US that I can get some seeds? Thanks.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: rowan tree

Post by Firebird »

Sorbus aucuparia dosen't grow here well, unless you are in the northeast. I'm not even sure if you can get true rowan. You may be able to find mountain ash. I would try a specialty nursery, they may be able to locate one for you. Good luck! let us know if find one. BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
movingcloud

Post by movingcloud »

I have a good friend who's family is in England. She's going to check with her nan to see if maybe she can get some seeds for me. I know that you cannot send live plants through customs. Just not sure about seeds...anyone know?
Mashiigwe

Post by Mashiigwe »

Seeds can be mailed. However, please reconsider receiving any plant life from another part of the World and trying to establish it here. For as long as Europeans arrived on this continent, foreign species and diseases have been ravaging our native ecosystems. Everyone that has thought it would be a good idea what they brought here, and didn't foresee any problems, have caused major damage: Gypsy Moths to make silk, Emerald Ash Borers found their way in shipping materials, wild garlic mustard, babies breath, purple loosetrife, spotted knapweed, eucalyptus trees... gee, this would be a huge list. Please, please consider helping native species that have received a beating over the years. It may seem like seeds for a tree are innocent, but it's possible that they carry a disease which doesn't affect rowan trees but could put the hurt on trees here. Think of the diseases that people of European heritage carried that wiped out native populations who had no natural immunity.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

That's a very useful reminder, Mashiigwe! Thanks for sharing that with us!
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
random417

Post by random417 »

We have so many of those in Indiana where I live! The ash borers in particular were a HUGE problem for a while. We had a couple of harsh winters, and the population died back enough we don't hear about them on the news any more, but I still see them once in a while, so it's only a matter of time.
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
random417

Post by random417 »

Cloud, why rowan in particular? We may have other suggestions depending on why. The mountain ash is a good one. If it's too attract the fey, lilac bushes actually work great. I like willows for general rowanness without being rowan, energy just feels close to me
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44

Return to “Gardening”