Which Type(s) of Empathy Do You Experience the Most?

Questions and discussions about psychic ability, mediumship, channeling, automatic writing, clairvoyance, clairaudience, clairsentience, dream premonitions, telepathy, empathic/empathetic ability.

Which Kind of Empath Are You?

Emotional Empath
44%
Physical Empath
13%
Animal Empath
24%
Global Empath
6%
Earth Empath
13%

Total votes: 165

North Star

Re: Which Type(s) of Empathy Do You Experience the Most?

Post by North Star »

Emotional, Physical and Global.

Don't think I really ever experienced animal. Earth in some ways, but always at the beach or with tropical storms, thunderstorms (water empath?).

Global is tough on me. I have to limit news exposure.

Work is difficult, but sometimes the abilities can be helpful. I have a pretty good knack for reading people and this does help with my job since I deal with a lot of loss prevention issues.

I can barely breath during a Code Adam at work... I dont know if I am picking up on the mothers emotions or the childs, but a few moments of fear and a child in possible danger makes me sick to my stomach. It happens rarely, but always sends my emotions off the chart.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Oh, it looks like I'm the only one who voted for Gloabl Empath but I see at least one other has said they are. Haha. I'm all of those save for the animal empath. I just haven't ever been able to connect with animals in such a way, which is strange because I can connect to Earth... This was such an interesting video to watch, Kassandra! Thank you so much for sharing! (:

My top three, though, are Emotional, Physical and Global. Physical is the worst! My sisters got their wisdom teeth out recently and I was just in pain in my jaw the whole time. ):
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

To be honest, I didn't like the video - how the empathy types were explained and the examples. Seriously, I believe you can tell if you're picking someone's emotions/pain or if it's your own emotions/pain. It might be overwhelming for some people but it's really easy (or at least was easy for me) to learn how to control it and work with it.
It depends on how conscious you are of your own emotional/physical state and it can be easily distinguished, especially if you can control and monitor your own emotional state (you're constantly aware of how you feel).
Here, example: You're meditating, feeling peaceful and calm. Suddenly you're feeling overwhelming sorrow and you KNOW that you're just globally epmathizing. It just can't be mistaken for your own sorrow. It's exactly the same with emotional or any other kind of empathy.

As a kid I used to be highly... sensitive. I'd pick up the emotions of other people, animals, "feel" certain places as if the emotions were hanging still in the air etc. But I quickly learned how to deal with it by making sure that my own emotions aren't a mess and creating some healthy boundaries between me and the outside. Now I have no problem controlling my empathy, to make sure I use it properly to help other people or to find out/acknowledge something without asking.
The only kind of empathy that's overwhelming for me to this day is global empathy. I can't control and deal with a sudden outburst of emotions of all people on Earth, simultaneously picking tons of "images" from around the world of people dying, suffering, fighting, killing, being in despair, feeling numb etc, with just a tiny portion of pure happiness and joy. It breaks my heart, goes through me like a tornado and leaves me crying and hoping that maybe I took at least some of that sick mess away from the people.

EDIT:
And what about "spiritual" or universal empathy? I don't really know how to call it but I know people, including myself, who share this kind of empathy for worldwide spiritual "cycles". We usually know when some kind of strong spiritual currents are approaching. And I agreed with a lot of people that it feels like a spiritual Sinusoid that's going through the universe. Once you pick it you flow with it. Anyone else experiences something similar and maybe has a better way to define it? :>
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Levitating Cat - It's not always easy for everyone to distinguish between what is their emotional state and someone else's. (: I speak from experience, as I always thought that I had something wrong with me until I met someone who taught me that it wasn't true, that I was just picking up on others' emotions. Sometimes it really is difficult to distinguish which is my feeling and someone else's. The example you stated is good as it is rather obvious in a situation like that, however if you were in a crowd of people it might be difficult to tell. (: As for feeling pain, some people suffer from conditions like fibromyalgia that can cause random pains, so it can be confusing too. It depends on the situation, after all! For some people, it takes quite a bit of practice to get the hang of it! I've been working with it for years and sometimes I still have trouble. Haha! I'm glad that it is easy for you, though, that saves you a lot of trouble! (:

And I think I get what you're talking about, with the spiritual empathy. I've found that it's incredibly more prominent at night, have you found that? I pick up on it quite often, to be honest. And honestly, I don't have a better way to describe it. I hope someone else can come in and help! Haha.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I have to agree with Levitating Cat. I think the video was rather condescending.

I identify with animal empathy, physical empathy, and global empathy in that order. I have lost count of how many times I've "seen," "heard," or otherwise sensed something happening for no tangible reason.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Haha, I saw an old post I wrote years ago, similar to this poll, but different. For kicks, I unlocked it and stickied it in this forum, in case people care to vote/comment on their personal experiences with the paranormal:

what-are-your-paranormal-experiences- t9774. html
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=9774

Enjoy :)

Last edited by Firebird on Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixing broken link
Muirìn

Post by Muirìn »

For the emotional empathy, well, I've always been a "feeling sponge", always helping people even though it kinda hurt to share their pain and suffering, I always I should help because most of the time I was the only one around who could actually understand what they were ging through.
Sometimes it's really annoying too. One of the best example is when I put on a song or watch something I like, and then somebody else comes in the room (or like, in a car with the music) and I can't enjoy the music/movie anymore, cause I feel their distaste for it. And I just want to go "Could you feel a bit quieter?!"
And when there was big fight between the parents in the house I live (I'm a live-in au pair), I had to literally leave the house cause it was just too hard to bear.

For the physical one, I'm kind of like BabyBear, it works much better on people I know and, even better, love. For instance, people have always been amazed at my massage ability, and how I always find the right spot, even though I never had an ounce of training. My (recently)ex boyfriend had lots of troubles with his body, all his negative feeling and energy expressing through muscle pain, back and head ache, etc... and I was the only one who was ever able to calm him down and soothe his pains. I was even the first ever he let touch his eyelids and around his eyes (for his headaches).
I don't know if any of you feel like this, but sometime I also think, since I've always been a touchy-feely person, it helps.

As for animal empath, mine works mainly with cats and horses. But I've never been able to try with aquatic creatures such as dolphins etc... though. I'm sure it would be interesting, with my water element background.

For earth empath, I'd be like North Star "Are there water empath?" cause that's how I feel. And having lived in a subtropical country, monsoon was a dream come true!!
AlasseShadowDragon86

Post by AlasseShadowDragon86 »

Well I seem to have Emotional Empath, Animal Empath and Earth Empath not sure what the other 2 are.
Emotional Empath I have always had this where I can sense things about people like their emotions etc in HS I had people always asking for help or if they were sad and I knew it I would try and talk to them etc
Animal Empath as a baby I was raised with my moms cat who was ferociously protective of me and my grandmas garage is where the stray cats always went. Every time I would go over there I was in the garage playing with the kittens and I have been raised around cats and dogs. When I was 17 we had a dog who was part wold and part husky and loved to sleep in my bed and follow me around and listened to me. Right now I have 2 kittens and they know when I am sick they lay down right close to me. I also held 2 puppies today who seemed to cuddle into my arms.
Earth Empath when I am really mad the wind picks up, when I am sitting with my feet on the ground listening to the sounds around me I have felt as tho my feet had roots attached from my feet to the ground and the wind rustled around me and I could hear nature. As a child I would climb trees and go into the woods with my cousins. I love nature.
Not sure if I have Physical Empath but I can tell when someone doesn't look well or they are in pain and I try to help them.
Not sure if I have Global Empath but every time I read the news about the world I feel a lot of pain and wish for world peace.
Clairsentient_Wolf

Post by Clairsentient_Wolf »

I would definitely consider myself an Empath but moreso, a Clairsentient. Every person I meet for the first time, is not the first time I've met them. Show me a picture of anybody whom I do not know or have never met and I can tell you exactly what kind of a person they are as far as personality traits go and such. I have been this way my entire life...knowing people before I know them, if that makes sense.

It's a blessing and a curse. A blessing that I already know who I'm dealing with when I meet them but a curse in that I know that they could possibly take advantage of this so called "knowledge" of them. I have never "done a reading" if that's what you want to call it on anyone out loud. I keep to myself and this is perhaps my ultimate downfall. Telling your psychiatrist this doesn't exactly put you in a power position either.

There is a constant game of Chess being played in my mind - the right brain vs the left brain. The left brain makes the logical moves and thinks 10 steps ahead while the right brain makes the guessing game even harder by seemingly putting itself in harm's way only to be 10 steps ahead as well. It's quite complicated. If you want to talk further about this ability, feel free to PM me.

I don't bite...except on full moons.
Strong men run into battle and destroy their foes;
Wise men wait for their foes to destroy themselves.
Clairsentient_Wolf

Post by Clairsentient_Wolf »

One more thing, I forgot to post a link to a more clear understanding of the differences and similarities of Empaths vs Clairsentients: https://psychicelements.com/blog/clairsentient/

Hope this helps everyone. Thanks.
Strong men run into battle and destroy their foes;
Wise men wait for their foes to destroy themselves.
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Definitely emotional...most of the time I can control it at work but sometimes I come home and I'm just exhausted - I'll tell my kids I need to rest my brain- and I'll take a warm bath with lavender or lemon and light s couple candles and just meditate
Animal is second because I can communicate with my dogs but I can't hear them say anything but I feel what they're feeling and what they want sometimes and birds sometimes too maybe a couple squirrels in the neighborhood..I drink my coffee in the mornings on my front porch and usually it's like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock movie The Birds! They are covering my yard the sky the trees....I tell good morning...ask them to sing for me...then I'll hear a lot of chirping! It's pretty cool!
Earth too just mostly with the wind and rain...it's really muggy and hot here in the summer and sometimes when I'm outside there's no breeze and sometimes I'll just take my flip flops off stand up close my eyes and say- please give me some air I need to breath just a big gust of wind in my face show me how strong you really are- and I'll feel a big gust of wind in my face! It's the most awesome thing by far that I can do/feel
Rain I have a fern on my porch it's about the only plant that I can keep alive ahaha any way I don't like to water it with tap water just the rain. So when it really needs watered I'll close my eyes and ask for rain to nourish my fern and within the day it will rain it may only last a few minutes and just be a sprinkle but every time I ask for rain it does!
And I think physical too but that's just mostly with my kids. I don't know if it's just a mother thing or not but I always know when they are hurt or don't feel good
Global maybe sometimes, once in awhile I'll get an overwhelming feeling of details of something that hasn't been released on the news yet or something and then usually a couple days later those details will come out and someone will say -did you hear about this or read about that?- I'm like yeah I knew about! Ahaha it doesn't happen all the time though...
Positive Thoughts and Good Vibes
Silversong
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow (if the rainbow is in Oregon)

Post by Silversong »

I experience occasional physical empathy, but ONLY with the closest of my friends, and it's not quite like it's described here, so I'm not sure if it counts.
First of all, it's happened with only two people: Flame, my right-hand girl, and Moon, my right-hand man. It's only happened once with Moon. I can frequently realize it's one of them and not me, usually because there's absolutely zero reason why it should be me hurting.
Secondly, usually what happens is one of the following: a) one of them hurts themselves and I immediately or almost immediately feel a jolt of pain (which may or may not last a minute or three) in the exact same spot, frequently causing me to stumble or "curse" (fires, Hades, fluff, etc. XD My usual nonsense fake-cursing), or b) they hurt themselves, I don't immediately feel it, but a while later while they're still aching, they stop hurting for a little while and at exactly the same time I start hurting. When I stop feeling their pain again, they get it back and feel the injury again. I seriously don't know what that's all about, but we can always tell when that happens, since usually Flame twists her ankle and it abruptly stops hurting (meanwhile, wherever I happen to be: Me: OW! Fires! *starts favoring ankle*) and she kind of looks at it and knows it should still be hurting and goes, "I'm willing to bet Silver's about ready to kill me" and we talk about it later, and the conversation usually goes something like this:
Me: You twisted your ankle, didn't you.
Flame: Yep.
Me: It stopped hurting around eleven twenty-six, didn't it.
Flame: Yep.
Me: I hate you.
Flame: Sorry. (*smothering laughter*)
Another thing: It doesn't seem to matter how far away from her (or him) I am at the time. I've been right next to her (I think we both started laughing because it was immediately obvious what had happened) and I've been miles away, and it doesn't seem to affect the intensity or accuracy of the pain.
With the few people I do it with, and the distance negation, and the more-common "pain exchange", I'm not really sure if this is defined as physical empathy or something else. All I know is, it's happened often enough to be acknowledged as being more than a fluke.
Lady Poppet

Post by Lady Poppet »

Mine are global and emotional. I can control the emotional empathy quite well, but global empathy is a killer for me. Especially in like bombings and air plane crashes, ill fall over and my eyes will swim and i hear ringing in my ears.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Thanks for voting, LadyPoppet. You're one of the rare ones who feel worldwide things. Looks like out of 82 votes, only two other people voted that one. Did you happen to feel the Paris attacks yesterday? Just wondering.

Lady Poppet

Post by Lady Poppet »

Yeah I did, things like that are awful to feel. But I also feel the unity, so many people offering their love. There was a lot of hurt though, honestly when awful things like that happen, there's so much emotion across the world and it's a real assault on the feelings. I prayed for the families of the victims a few times since it happened. I also get a feeling of all the people who wish they could do more, it gets me quite anxious.

Return to “Psychic Ability, Precognitive Dreams, Empathy”