So couple of tarot questions

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

So couple of tarot questions

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

So im deciding to once again trying to learn tarot but with a actual physical deck instead of using one of those apps but i do have a couple questions.
1) can the meaning of a card change depending on the other cards drawn? For example lets say someone drew death and the fool would the meaning of either of the cards change?
2) im planning to get myself the rider Waite tarot deck for beginners has anyone had any experience with this deck?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: So couple of tarot questions

Post by SpiritTalker »

In the most common Tarot Celtic Cross layout the position of the cards within the layout and the image on the card are read together.

In other forms of just linear layouts the adjoining cards influence one another & are read with consideration given to these influences.

The meaning of a card only changes if it is reversed, up-side down.
Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

SpiritTalker wrote:In the most common Tarot Celtic Cross layout the position of the cards within the layout and the image on the card are read together.

In other forms of just linear layouts the adjoining cards influence one another & are read with consideration given to these influences.

The meaning of a card only changes if it is reversed, up-side down.
That sounds quite interesting and less complicated than i thought to some extent.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The LeNorman deck uses a multiple tier spread & lays out the entire deck. Tarot has a variety of cross & triangle spreads read by card image/position; and a full circle spread would use the whole deck. In the circle's case there is no position to read, so the influences of adjoining cards are considered. It just depends on which spread you use. Many readers wing it.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

SpiritTalker wrote: the adjoining cards influence one another
That's what I was going to say! :D
it can really vary if you have "Death" and all light happy cards nearby then death is probably a good thing. If "Death" is influenced by dark and foreboding cards then one may want to examine what the other cards are saying in relationship to that.
I recommend a Ryder Waite based deck to practice with.
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Tarot Talk”