Excited about choosing my first deck!

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
Fae

Post by Fae »

I've only recently gotten into any form of divination, and I believe tarot is the right place for me to start. Since I don't have much available to me locally, I've scoured the internet for different decks, and info about them and their creators.

I think I've finally settled on my first, Legacy of the divine by ciro marchetti. The images themselves really speak to me, and I love the detail he uses and the realism in the deck, despite the fantasy theme. I know it might not end up being the right deck for me, but I'm so excited to finally pick one that I just felt like I had to share it.

Has anyone else felt a connection to his work, or do you have a deck made by someone else that you love? I'd love to hear other people's stories.
rachelanne4567

Re: Excited about choosing my first deck!

Post by rachelanne4567 »

Congratulations! Tarot is wonderful. Ciro Marchetti does beautiful work, I have "The Gilded Tarot," and it's beautiful. He participates quite a bit with his fans on Facebook also. My favorite Tarot deck is "Tarot of the Crone," by Ellen Lorenzi-Prince.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

rachelanne4567 , Why don't you head on over to the Member Profiles section and introduce yourself so we can welcome you properly? :)
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Fae

Post by Fae »

rachelanne4567 wrote:Congratulations! Tarot is wonderful. Ciro Marchetti does beautiful work, I have "The Gilded Tarot," and it's beautiful. He participates quite a bit with his fans on Facebook also. My favorite Tarot deck is "Tarot of the Crone," by Ellen Lorenzi-Prince.
Thanks, I'll definitely have to check him out on Facebook. His work really is stunning. I haven't heard about the tarot of the crone deck, but I'll have to look that up as well. Some of the decks have the most beautiful artwork in them, it's just amazing. And welcome to the forum, I'm sure we'll be seeing each other around. I imagine I'm going to have tons of annoying first timer questions about my readings!
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

Never heard of it but just googled it now and it looks beautiful! I started with the basic Waite deck because the pictures matched the book I was learning from which made it easier for me to memorize the meanings. But it really grew on me. I think it is time for me to add another to my collection though. I read that you could also use multiple decks for more intricate readings :D I think I will search for one with fairies.
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

That is a stunning deck! Congratulations on choosing your first tarot. My very first deck was also the Rider-Waite, but I've had quite a few over the years. My absolute favourite is the Medieval Scapini deck. I'm absolutely in love with everything about that deck. :)
Fae

Post by Fae »

I've heard really good things about the rider-waite deck, especially for those just starting out. I actually had it in my amazon cart when I stumbled across this new deck, which just completely captivated me.

I love faeries as well, and saw some really beautiful decks with them as the theme. There's another post in this forum that had a link to a site with hundreds of decks listed, and even had pictures of some of the cards. There were self published decks, rare, out of print decks, just tons of them listed. It also said how many cards were in the deck and some other basic info. They're all listed by deck title and author.

I think the site is eclectic.net. it was a fabulous resource to help me look through the different options. Definitely worth checking out if any of you are thinking about getting a new one!
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Rider-Waite is a good deck for starting out because there is just a lot of information out there on it. There are many decks that are rider-Waite "inspired" so they match up well with that information out there. So once you learn the rider-Waite system it can cross over to all decks inspired by it as well. If you learn something other than the rider-Waite to begin with, then if you change decks in the future, you may feel limited because you don't understand the rider-Waite system. Does that make sense? OR it could turn out the total opposite and you could just love the deck you get and never want to change or use another style.

One of my all time favorite decks is the Sprial deck by Kay Steventon. It has lots to draw off of in the images and it's rider waite inspired. It was my very first deck and it was difficult at first because there is so much going on in each image, but once I got use to it, I absolutely loved it. I recently purchased my second deck ever and I got the Joie de Vivre by Paulina Cassidy. Since I understand the rider-Waite system, it was very easy for me to pick up and understand the meanings behind the images on the cards. So so so many people like the Shadowscapes deck and it can be purchased at most Barns and Noble's. It's very pretty. Also, check out tarottotes.com as they have several decks available to order and their prices are reasonable. Good luck!

Rosie
Fae

Post by Fae »

RosieMoonflower wrote:Rider-Waite is a good deck for starting out because there is just a lot of information out there on it. There are many decks that are rider-Waite "inspired" so they match up well with that information out there. So once you learn the rider-Waite system it can cross over to all decks inspired by it as well. If you learn something other than the rider-Waite to begin with, then if you change decks in the future, you may feel limited because you don't understand the rider-Waite system. Does that make sense? OR it could turn out the total opposite and you could just love the deck you get and never want to change or use another style.

One of my all time favorite decks is the Sprial deck by Kay Steventon. It has lots to draw off of in the images and it's rider waite inspired. It was my very first deck and it was difficult at first because there is so much going on in each image, but once I got use to it, I absolutely loved it. I recently purchased my second deck ever and I got the Joie de Vivre by Paulina Cassidy. Since I understand the rider-Waite system, it was very easy for me to pick up and understand the meanings behind the images on the cards. So so so many people like the Shadowscapes deck and it can be purchased at most Barns and Noble's. It's very pretty. Also, check out tarottotes.com as they have several decks available to order and their prices are reasonable. Good luck!

Rosie
Thanks for shAring, that's seriously useful information! I probably should've started with the rider-waite deck, but I figured I'd go with something that really popped out and sort of take it from there. I'm usually a quick learner, so hopefully it goes well. If not, I know what to buy next!

I saw some of the cards for that shadowscape deck, and you're 100% right, the images are stunning, and from what I've seen around the forums quite popular amongst eutm members. Something tells me I'm probably going to end up purchasing several decks just because I love the artwork, even if I don't actually practice with them. I'll definitely have to check out the decks you mentioned too, I find it fascinating to see what other members like. I honestly feel like the deck you really connect with is almost like a peek into parts of the actual person, if that makes any sense?
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Rosie is right the Rider Waite Smith decks are the easiest to learn, they have no baggage and follow the true archetypes so onces the basics have been picked up they just flow and help the reader to develop their intuition independently :)
Learning the Legacy is like jumping in the middle, missing the Gilded and the Dreams decks. But just mho
Fae

Post by Fae »

Ivy wrote:Rosie is right the Rider Waite Smith decks are the easiest to learn, they have no baggage and follow the true archetypes so onces the basics have been picked up they just flow and help the reader to develop their intuition independently :)
Learning the Legacy is like jumping in the middle, missing the Gilded and the Dreams decks. But just mho
Thanks for the insights, it's definitely helpful to someone just starting out. Sometimes I get a little ahead of myself, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the legacy deck so far. From everything I read in ciro's companion book, it was mainly built off of rider-waite ideas with some of his own mixed in of course. I absolutely plan on getting his other decks as well since they all sort of time together, but can also stand on their own.

My experience so far with this deck is incredible. I'm not sure if it's from growing up around it, maybe I picked up more than I thought, but I have a real connection with this deck. I took a few days to look over the cards and interpret them in my own way, and then compared them to what the companion book had to say. I slept with them beneath my pillow, and tried my first reading last night. I won't bore everyone wit h the details, but it seemed very accurate, and I was surprised with how comfortable/familiar I feel with it. I still have a long way to go, but I'm excited for the journey.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Fae wrote:
Ivy wrote:Rosie is right the Rider Waite Smith decks are the easiest to learn, they have no baggage and follow the true archetypes so onces the basics have been picked up they just flow and help the reader to develop their intuition independently :)
Thanks for the insights, it's definitely helpful to someone just starting out. Sometimes I get a little ahead of myself, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the legacy deck so far. From everything I read in ciro's companion book, it was mainly built off of rider-waite ideas with some of his own mixed in of course. I absolutely plan on getting his other decks as well since they all sort of time together, but can also stand on their own.

My experience so far with this deck is incredible. I'm not sure if it's from growing up around it, maybe I picked up more than I thought, but I have a real connection with this deck. I took a few days to look over the cards and interpret them in my own way, and then compared them to what the companion book had to say. I slept with them beneath my pillow, and tried my first reading last night. I won't bore everyone wit h the details, but it seemed very accurate, and I was surprised with how comfortable/familiar I feel with it. I still have a long way to go, but I'm excited for the journey.
That's really all that matters. If you connect with the cards and can get meaning from them, then you are doing just fine. I looked up the deck you bought and it is a rider Waite inspired deck, so a lot of the general information out there about those decks or about those archetypes is going to correlate to your deck. Check out a aeclectic.net. That was a great resource when I first started out.

Rosie
Fae

Post by Fae »

That's really all that matters. If you connect with the cards and can get meaning from them, then you are doing just fine. I looked up the deck you bought and it is a rider Waite inspired deck, so a lot of the general information out there about those decks or about those archetypes is going to correlate to your deck. Check out a aeclectic.net. That was a great resource when I first started out.

Rosie[/quote]

Thanks, that site is actually how I found the legacy deck in the first place! I looked through literally hundreds to see what they looked like and what appealed to me, and when I saw that I knew it was the one. They have a ton of other valuable resources that I've been using too. Not to mention I can always post here in the forum if I get really stuck with something. Thanks again!

Return to “Tarot Talk”