How I See The Magician

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
Serendipity

How I See The Magician

Post by Serendipity »

This is one of my favorite cards, perhaps because I identify with it so closely.

All three of my favorite decks have very similar graphics for this card, a male magician, with various tools displayed, and either sun or moon illumination in the background.

My take on this card is a little different from what the books typically say about it. That may be because some aspects of this card speak very strongly to me in a very personal way. I believe there is a kinship between science and magic and this card to me speaks to that kinship, but I’ll talk more about how that relates to the Magician later.

As I see it in this card the background illumination is about learning, the “light of knowledge” you might say.

The tools that we see on this card are important as they give us very clear information about how the Magician views and practices his craft. I’ll go into more detail in a moment.

It is important that we note that the Magician is male. Many of the books about various tarot decks I’ve read make the fact that the Magician is male about being active and or working or connecting with outgoing energy, as opposed to feminine energy which is seen as more internal or passive.

I just don’t see it that way, and here I’m going back to things I’ve mentioned earlier about the way the tools are used, the type of learning that happens, and the way I see magic and science as compatible disciplines as well as my opinion that all people have both male and female energy as part of their make-ups.

The male and female brains work a little differently. Typically men use the left, or liner, side of the brain a little more than they do the right, or global, side of the brain, that’s reversed for women, with women typically using the right, or global, side of the brain slightly more than they use the left, or linier side of the brain.

The left or linier side of the brain, favored by males (and the male aspect of a female) is all about logic and reasoning through the steps of a problem in a systematic approach and such. The right or global side of the brain, favored by females (and the female aspect of a male) is described as global and tends to work through a problem without using a linier approach. It “sees the big picture” all at once, it is often seen as intuitive and is inclined not to use tools and such but to simply work with its own power and energy.

I see the Magician working with the tools in the way associated with left brain usage and learning. I see him as the scholar of the tarot deck. His magic isn’t about passionate abandonment; certainly the Magician is passionate, but his passion is for measured reason and logic and he applies this reason and logic to his magic. And yes I do see reason and logic as compatible with magic.

This is pretty much how I see the Magician as a stand alone card; of course this view can be heavily modified by where it shows up in a spread and the cards that surround him.

I don’t think I’ve explained my vision of this card as well as I would like too. But this is a card with a lot of depth and tone. Hopefully I’ve put enough here to give people an idea of my vision of the Magician.
Y0m

Re: How I See The Magician

Post by Y0m »

This is one time I wish we had a rep system.

Nice one Serendipity!
Love.
All I know is I love you.
That's about all I can do.
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

Thanks YOm :)

and what is a "rep system?"
Y0m

Post by Y0m »

Haha, it's like a points system where members can progress in rank.
You give someone points for being helpful or making a good post.
In my opinion as a mod/admin though it can cause pissing contests.
Love.
All I know is I love you.
That's about all I can do.
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

I think you're right it would cause tension between some of the more competative people lol.

But, saying that was a really sweet thing and I thank you for it. I try really hard to bring something of value to people when I make a post. Even if people totally disagree with me I hope that at least I've given them reason to think and enjoy the process. :)
Greek_Male_Witch

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

What if I tell you Serendipity that what you described about Magician, is what I feel for this card? its amazing! :D
What Goes Around,Comes Around!

Return to “Tarot Talk”