Forming a bond with your Tarot

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
Ravencry

Forming a bond with your Tarot

Post by Ravencry »

In my honest opinion, the power of the Tarot comes from the relationship that you form with it. If you treat the cards like their toys, then they'll act like toys and not give you accurate readings. But if you treat them with the respect that you would show a wise crone, then they will be more than happy to give you accurate readings and advice.

But how should one go about 'respecting' their Tarot cards.

Well, upkeep is one of them. Make sure that they are in a bag or wrapped in cloth of some sort, to protect them from water damage and other possible sources of damage.
When I have smudges of dirt and stuff on them, I take a lightly damp cloth and carefully clean this spot off. (Be careful with how much water you apply to any form of card, too much will soak and warp it, making it unusable).
I like to make specialty bags for my Tarot, one that seems to fit the personality of the cards. (I try not to use cheap fabrics like felt for them, but its honestly what you feel would be best)
I always suggest sleeping with your cards underneath your pillow for at least 1 night. I slept with my most accurate deck for 3 nights.
When doing readings, greet your cards like you would a good friend, in your mind. I start with 'Hail good friend, I have some advice that I would like to ask of you' Not to sound crazy, but the cards always respond with something similar to 'What is it that you wish to ask?'
Before I started readings with my Tarot cards, I consecrated a quartz crystal to protect the cards and allow more accurate readings. I kept this crystal with the cards for a while, (I admit, I took it to use for my childbirth, and then after, I am going to replace it to the cards. But I 'told' the cards of this and they were fine with it.) but I suggest getting a quartz point, no matter how big or small (I like the small ones because they fit into the pouch with the cards)
I also like to offer incense to my cards. To do this, I waft the incense around the cards, and say something similar to 'I offer this fine incense to you. May it appeal to you'
Shuffle your cards often, and pull random cards. Say aloud the meaning of this card and what it relates to in your life. Say you pull the Ace of Wands, and you wish to open an art gallery. You would then say the traditional meaning, and that it relates to you because you wish to open an art gallery. Then shuffle and pull another.
And always, when reading your cards and you feel that the traditional meaning isn't what the cards are trying to say, listen to your inner voice and that of the cards, also.

I hope this helps anyone thats having a hard time getting accurate readings.
ScarlettRose

Post by ScarlettRose »

This is very true & great advice! (:
Thanks for sharing. I even sleep with my tarot cards under my pillow some nights, especially when I first get a deck to bond more with them.. If that makes since... heh
Breathing in I feel gratitude; Breathing out I give thanks.
Breathing in I feel joyful; Breathing out I celebrate.
Breathing in I know compassion; Breathing I am compassion.
Breathing in I feel loved; Breathing out I offer love.
Breathing in I am still; Breathing out I am at peace.
Om.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

It makes perfect sense, I do the same:P
ScarlettRose

Post by ScarlettRose »

Yay!! :D
Breathing in I feel gratitude; Breathing out I give thanks.
Breathing in I feel joyful; Breathing out I celebrate.
Breathing in I know compassion; Breathing I am compassion.
Breathing in I feel loved; Breathing out I offer love.
Breathing in I am still; Breathing out I am at peace.
Om.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

So, just an update. Since I took the crystal out of the card's bag, and not even a week later, they were stolen. So, NEVER TAKE THE CRYSTAL FROM YOUR CARDS. This was a petty mistake that I made, and I am now paying the consequence. The quartz crystal even got stolen!!!
Munnag

Re: Forming a bond with your Tarot

Post by Munnag »

Great information, Thank you!!
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

No problem, Munnag. I hope you and your Tarot form an excellent bond :D
TornUpReaper

Post by TornUpReaper »

I love your suggestions and have started using some of them upon reading this. I want to better understand the cards that I pull.
Nixie

Post by Nixie »

I sleep with my cards under my pillow most nights. They are never far from me, at home (when not under my pillow) they sit in a willow box (willow is the tree i am most connected to). When I am not at home, they are wrapped in 100% cotton and placed in a drawstring back and in my handbag.
m_apollo8239

Post by m_apollo8239 »

I agree forming a relationship with ones deck is pretty vital to obtaining good readings. And best of all one that you'll understand. I keep my cards wrapped in white cotton when not in use and spread the cloth out when reading. I empower my decks in the light of a full moon.

:flyingwitch:
starlady

Post by starlady »

thanks ravencry,for the advice on bonding with your tarot cards?i didnt know that??i do keep them in a velvet-bag,and slept with them last night too,so i am following this,has i do readings for me and my youngest daughter?but it is basic card meaning i get?im only been doing tarot since last summer,im learning more since im joined this group :)
Lunair

Post by Lunair »

I didn't know you could form a bond much faster if you slept with the tarot deck under your pillow. I always thought of sleeping with them under my pillow but I never knew why so I never tried it. Thanks Ravencry :)
WillowMoon

Post by WillowMoon »

Oooh, awesome piece of informationI might have to try a few of these tips as I do this with gemstones and crystals and it works the same way. But I never thought about trying this with tarot. :) I have just tried this with my runes as well as they are wooden, And I've heard several thought impressions in my mind presumably from the wooden energies of the trees. Ooooh, got a lovely new way of working with them, many thanks.
MrNitpicky

Post by MrNitpicky »

Is putting a tarot deck under my bed below my pillow good because I don't want to wreck my tarot deck
under my pillow?
Desire -> Expectation (Fear and Worry is not expectation) -> Action
WillowMoon

Post by WillowMoon »

Try putting it in one of those tarot bags that you can make or get perhaps first before putting it beneath your pillow. I usually don't use this method but do prefer the Hail and Welcome Friend for getting to know your cards with. I find sleeping with them can affect your dreams, but if you do feel drawn to try it then definitely do go with what you're drawn to do but I'd recommend that they were cleansed first before you try it, though. :)

Return to “Tarot Talk”