how to tell if a tarot reader full of bs?

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
ashedion

Post by ashedion »

I went to a reader a few months ago back in march and her words were as follows:

U have no bad energy around u. I see a move to the ocean in 2010. Be careful who you trust. Alot of jealous ppl are around you. (which is true in any situation right? ppl will always be jealous) The person that you love loves you too, theres nothing between him and the interference.(um, then why was it that a few days later he cheated on me with her?) I see a lot of heartache for you, things will get better during the summer. ( I paid forty five bucks for that?)

I went to another reader about three months ago and told her the other psychics was bs. She said the same thing

Be careful who you trust. You are stubborn, I like that. You have a curse on you, on your love life. Has anyone gotten your hair or anything? I was like wtf total bs. She was like normally I charge 500 for cleansing but since I like you I will do yours for 300. I was like can I see your list of prices anywhere? She said if I wait, the karmic cycle would be over in October. Then she said from now on, since she likes me, she will do my readings for ten dollars, normal price is twenty five. So she must have been tellling the truth about something to lower it that far right? But the other lady said she saw no bad energy around me, so what the heck?
NightRose
Banned Member

Re: how to tell if a tarot reader full of bs?

Post by NightRose »

ashedion wrote:She was like normally I charge 500 for cleansing but since I like you I will do yours for 300. I was like can I see your list of prices anywhere? She said if I wait, the karmic cycle would be over in October. Then she said from now on, since she likes me, she will do my readings for ten dollars, normal price is twenty five.
Something like this would send me immediately running (not walking) for the door. I'm willing to bet that she does not have a price list anywhere, or if she does, she makes the prices ridiculously high so that people think they're getting a really good deal.

There is another thread on here somewhere with similar questions to this, but general consensus of the board at large is that any psychic who tells you there's a curse on you is probably a fraud. And things like this usually lead to "Well, now that I've cleansed you, I'm going to have to do a follow-up spell for only another $100 or so..." and so on.

Think about it honestly. How rare are real curses? And who on earth would put a curse on you? You don't happen to wander around irritating rogue witches, do you? And if so, why would they curse your love life instead of just cursing you to fall down some stairs? The psychic probably chose love life because everyone has had some issues in that area, and it can be really easy to believe that you had these problems because of a curse.

And her reading doesn't sound all that personalized and accurate. Everyone should be careful who they trust (especially when trusting psychics :D ) and stubborn is an easy thing to guess. Granted, as time goes on and she gets to see you more and hear more of your opinions, she'll magically be able to read you better, but you don't need psychic powers to do that.

Summary: don't pass go, don't pay $300, and find yourself a different psychic. Preferably one who isn't trying to milk you for money.
Starwitch Stone

Post by Starwitch Stone »

You can pretty much assume that all paid psychic/tarot readers are scamming you in one way or another unless you have some solid reason to believe that they are not. Most of them have no ethics. They'll say anything you want to hear in order to get paid.

My advice, if you are going to continue paying for readings, is to write down (or record) everything that they say and look at the notes a year or two later and see if anything came true.

The last psychic I spoke with told me that I would find my soulmate, I would write a book, big things were happening in my life, etc. etc. blah blah blah. I have the complete transcript of it from the recording I made. I can look over it now and see that I was totally leading her the whole time, telling her all about myself and letting her repeat it back to me with a few lies thrown in. I never found any soulmate (besides staying with Ron, who I had already been with for years.) Psychics are typically really smart people (con artists). If you aren't smarter than them, they'll be able to fool you. Most people are NOT smarter than a "psychic" from what I've seen. If you want to see a psychic reading script (because they do use scripts a lot) you can visit this page here and click on the script link:

Psychic Scam Artist - There is a good video on this page about "Psychic Loretta". She was busted by a British TV show for scamming people. I think it would be educational to watch it.

Psychic Reading Script (This was a reading that was given to me through email five minutes after I asked for my "free reading" from a psychic who wanted to partner with my website. Notice how the things it says really would apply to most anyone.

Another page I have about this topic is

Psychic Claims Curse is On Me

These pages have links to other sites that will teach you more on the topic.

Save your money.

Bright Blessings,
Visit Everything Under the Moon for Love Spells, Money Spells, & Wicca Spells.
roseonfire

Post by roseonfire »

That doesn't even SOUND like a real reading. A suggestion I would make, for you and anyone else who may be in the same situation, is to do some research into how readings are done ligitly and to check out some of how the members on this forum give their readings in the free readings section and compare that to the readings that people are asking money for.
The Goddess is like the moon itself, guiding us in our darkest moments.
SouthernBelle

Post by SouthernBelle »

On a trip to London with my friends, I had my runes read...ish. I pulled a rune from her bag she said I was unbalanced and that was it
I'm 17 of course I'm unbalanced, also my friend took a picture and she had my friend delete it.
Last edited by Firebird on Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: punctuation and capitalization
PurplePixie

Post by PurplePixie »

I think most of them watch you and that leads them to answers. They want to tell you what you want to hear. My friend would play a poker face, no reaction to what they said and they would look lost. So if you give them no reaction to what they say and then they clam up they maybe be trying to BS you.
creatrix

Post by creatrix »

Anyone who says they want to remove a curse for money is a scammer. This is actually VERY common. Some will tell you you have a generational curse too.
I believe there are con artists and then there are legitimate readers/psychics. I've gone to fairs/festivals (that were not just for psychic readers) and had good luck with readers there. I once went to a psychic fair and did not like the energy I was around, I felt drained afterward. So it all depends. If you know someone who got a reading done and felt it was accurate/helpful you can go to the same reader.
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

Because I'm a girl, I'm 100% sure they all think I want to hear that I'm going to meet my soul mate and live happily ever after so as soon as I hear them start saying something along these lines, I know they're making it up.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

I once had a tarot reading done. I asked specifically for a Celtic cross. SHE ONLY USED 9 CARDS! And then! And then she went on to tell me that i marry fall in love with a nice girl and romance her off her feet. Like A) I'm transgender B) Im aromantic. I just gave her a 20 and stormed out. Now adays i just do my own tarot.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Adiens

Post by Adiens »

My partner and I went to this reader, whom my friends had been praising. I did most of the talking since my partner is agoraphobic and has overall stranger danger issues. It resulted in, her telling us both that our shared goddess (The Morrigan) was scolding me for being so bossy all the time and how my partner needs not to be so weak-willed.

In reality, despite my partner's phobia, he's the more strong-willed between the two of us. However, hearing that it this message supposedly came from my goddess, which the reader only knew because we both had mentioned that fact, really had me worried. My partner said the reading didn't sit well with his animal totem. We both meditated to The Morrigan when we got home, and were told she clearly got the message wrong.

Needlessly to say we never went there again.
MizLynn3

Post by MizLynn3 »

When I give readings, I don’t ask for anything. I want to help. Also, I don’t need to know your question, the cards tell me what you need to know. It’s not my business.
Recently I gave a reading to a friend in NC and I recorded it on video. The only thing I ask is that you write your question on a piece of paper hold it and think about it. I also use 2 amethyst stones. You hold one n I the other. That is the only connection.
I clean my cards after every reading because you are holding the cards, you’re shuffle, all I do is tell you what they are saying.
I don’t look at you, being an empath I protect myself so I don’t interfere with the cards.

And if you curse someone it doesn’t affect them it affects their children and my #1 rule is: Do No Harm.
Karma has no favorites.
Last edited by Firebird on Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tapatalk signature advertisement. please remove
SapphireRoad

Re:

Post by SapphireRoad »

Starwitch Stone wrote:You can pretty much assume that all paid psychic/tarot readers are scamming you in one way or another unless you have some solid reason to believe that they are not. Most of them have no ethics. They'll say anything you want to hear in order to get paid.

My advice, if you are going to continue paying for readings, is to write down (or record) everything that they say and look at the notes a year or two later and see if anything came true.

The last psychic I spoke with told me that I would find my soulmate, I would write a book, big things were happening in my life, etc. etc. blah blah blah. I have the complete transcript of it from the recording I made. I can look over it now and see that I was totally leading her the whole time, telling her all about myself and letting her repeat it back to me with a few lies thrown in. I never found any soulmate (besides staying with Ron, who I had already been with for years.) Psychics are typically really smart people (con artists). If you aren't smarter than them, they'll be able to fool you. Most people are NOT smarter than a "psychic" from what I've seen. If you want to see a psychic reading script (because they do use scripts a lot) you can visit this page here and click on the script link:

Psychic Scam Artist - There is a good video on this page about "Psychic Loretta". She was busted by a British TV show for scamming people. I think it would be educational to watch it.

Psychic Reading Script (This was a reading that was given to me through email five minutes after I asked for my "free reading" from a psychic who wanted to partner with my website. Notice how the things it says really would apply to most anyone.

Another page I have about this topic is

Psychic Claims Curse is On Me

These pages have links to other sites that will teach you more on the topic.

Save your money.

Bright Blessings,
Just a friendly reminder :flyingwitch:
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

The danger is 'payment' as a requirement in any psychic work.

Everyone, even the most psychic, has off days and is limited by their ability to comprehend what they read about other people (universal symbols Vs personal symbols).

But when it is a source of finance you need to produce results - every time - regardless of whether the magical spigot is flowing or not. And little lies are cumulative and before you know it the whisp of magic has gone and inspiration becomes pure dry invention.

The only 'reader' you can only truly trust is yourself and even then when you are able to analyse the results later in the cold light of day to understand the symbology and separate the detritus of desire and fear from the genius of experience borne from intuition as an ally.

-----

As for people failing to 'perform' in front of a disbelieving audience? Remember there is no such thing as 'disbelief': it is all 'belief', even if that belief is used as a counterforce. The combined disbelief of a thousand eyes? There's a reason the fae have aversion to iron and why magical acts are best 'occulted'.
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

You're quite correct as the journey goes (with the evolution of current things) although none of it is really black n' white when it comes to people doing real work.
Corbin wrote:As for people failing to 'perform' in front of a disbelieving audience? Remember there is no such thing as 'disbelief': it is all 'belief', even if that belief is used as a counterforce.
Sounds bad but I like the idea from Castaneda's books stating that it is not to convince anybody. People are rather marked, or touched when it is decided suitable.
A public setup on street might be a ridiculous option but there is like million different situations where things can be done.
Magically you can wield the curtain of adversity by appropriate means.

I think I might not agree with what I wrote. This is difficult topic.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
NeverMoonAWerewolf

Post by NeverMoonAWerewolf »

People do not value things for free most of the time, and you will get abused and used if you do not require some sort of payment more often than not. In old times, payment came in the form of help or food most of the time, nowadays it is money.

Reading Tarot is work, and it is ok to be paid for it.

The scammers are something we'll never get rid of, and in my opinion those so-called psychic hotlines need to go away, but that won't ever happen I fear.

Return to “Tarot Talk”