YanaKhan's gazillion projects :)

If you'd like to have your own blog here, start yourself a thread. Use your member name somewhere in the title so people will know who you are. The blogs here should be mostly about your spiritual path and beliefs.
YanaKhan

YanaKhan's gazillion projects :)

Post by YanaKhan »

So, hey everyone. Kassandra suggested I start a personal blog to keep a journal of my plant projects. And so, here we are.
In another thread I started describing how to grow a wheat - grass. So, here's the link (as I am too lazy to type the process all over again) http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ml#p184453
And 4 days after planting the little sprouts I have this:
wheat.jpg
I water the wheat - grass every day, once a day. So in about 3 days I'm going to have wheat - grass ready to make juice.
Again - I am not a maniac of healthy eating, but I don't miss a chance to cleanse my body.
Anyway, next I am going to plant some herbs as I really enjoy having all sorts of seasonings in my kitchen and home grown herbs are the better option than bought ones. And I planted a ginger root not long ago, so we'll see if that's going to grow :)
Any suggestions and comments are very welcome :)
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Re: Elcida's blog/journal/project diary .. thing :)

Post by Starwitch »

Is wheat grass the same as the grass they sell to feed to pets? I can't believe it grew that fast in four days! I'd love to grow some indoor grass like that, maybe even a whole little plot of it to give the pups somewhere to pee and poop besides my floor! (They have a place, of course, they just prefer the carpet.)

As far as re-typing the whole thing again, you could also just copy/paste it instead, if you feel it's something you need here.

Anyway, it looks great. I really might have to get me some of that.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Yay, I can't wait to read your posts. We're gonna foray in the green with you.

Might I suggest, "Elcida's Garden" (even though it's indoor, still a garden :wink: ) or something like that for a title? Just a thought.

Wheat grass looks awesome, just like in the stores. Do you have one of those wheat grass presses?

YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Ah, ok, I am so sorry I have been absent for such a long time. I got in one of those loops where I work (like 12 - 14 hours), cook, clean, sleep and do it all over again. December and January are difficult months for me.
So anyway, to answer the questions, yes, this is the very same grass people feed to pets, it's absolutely natural. And no, I don't have a press unfortunately. I chew it instead of making juice out of it as I heard it's not very good made in a blender. So, here I am again, hopefully I won't be absent any more.
And to add info, This wheatgrass is my first one, ever since I got this first one, I grow it - I put seeds every ten days, so now I have a constant supply. And it actually feels great.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

It's been a good while since I started my last project. And I am a person who likes to experiment a lot and would like to learn just about everything. So I decided I am going to learn how to engrave. Yeah, it sounds like something hard to learn, but in school I remember having these classes where we learned how to do different things - we made candle holders and pillows and bags and cakes and other things and one of the things we learned how to do was engraving on linoleum and wood. So I bought the cutters (they cost about 2 Euros here) and decided to start with linoleum first to recall what was it like. Of course there is this little detail that you are supposed to be good at drawing which I am not, but still... So, here's the result.
fairy.jpg
It's not very good, but it's been over 20 years since I've done something like that. So, I'm quite happy with it.
Next on my list is making a talisman on wood perhaps with some of my runic sigils. It will probably take some time, but I will most definitely share it with you :)
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

So, as i said, I am going to practice some wood carving. It's a great way of spending your spare time, at least for me it is.
And I decided I'm going to start with something small. I found some wood bark and made my daughter a sign for her door. I painted it and then covered it with sparkly nail polish. My husband said it's not going to last very long because of the nail polish, but he said he'll find me some wood to work with (I don't want to go and chop trees) from his friend who is a carpenter. And here it is, the sign :D
tabelka.jpg
Not a big deal, but it's made with the linoleum cutters.
Actually yesterday I went and bought wood carving chisels and a hammer. The only thing now is to learn how to use them :) Still, there is this wood carving master here and he seems very very sweet and nice (he has tons of bonbons in his workshop and when he sees kids, he gives them candy) and I'm going to ask him if he could teach me the basics if I brought my instruments and wood.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Such a creative soul.

loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I think that engraving came out great, especially since you said it's been 20 years since you've done it. It looks great.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Thank you :)
Things are going slowly with the wood carving. I have some trouble finding good wood to work with as it turns out pine is not one of them. I also found out my chisels are crap (well, that was to be expected, considering I bought them too cheap to be good), but at first they will have to do. Besides I have my linoleum cutters and they are excellent for the fine work.
I printed some stencils from the internet and I am working on carving letters now. Next will be flowers. Once I find myself nice piece of hard wood, I will start working on that door sign I wand ever since we got married :) I have muscle strain from sandpapering but I think I might actually become quite good at this.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Well, today I had nothing to do. I am not at work this week and my daughter is spending 2 months at my mom's, mu husband's at work and I decided I am going to make some decorations. At first I was thinking about making a canopy over my daughter's bed, but my husband said it was not such a great idea and besides my kid was not really fond of it, so I thought I can make her some fairy - like lamp or something like that. I had these Christmas lights I don't really use and thought they would be perfect for it. Here is the final result. I will describe the technology in the next post.
lamp.jpg

Hopefully it will look better in the night. I will also take a picture of it when it gets dark.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

And here we go. I went and bought some thick wire from my local hardware store. It cost me about 0.20 Euro (that would be about 35 cents). I took 4 m of it and 1m of the fine wire.
I also needed a pair of pliers, fabric of liking, needle and a thread. And here we go.
Here's some pictures of the process. On the first picture we have the wire and instruments. Obviously you don't need the cat, she just likes to help me whenever I try and do something :)
pic1.jpg [Оригинален размер].jpg

Once you get everything, cut from the wire just enough to make a circle. Secure it with the finer wire. Then you need 2 half - circles ending with hooks.
pic2.jpg [Оригинален размер].jpg
The hooks are very easy to make - just twist the wire with the pliers. Once you have the second half - circle, make sure you place it under the first one.
Then secure all the connections with the fine wire. At that point you should have something like this.
pic3.jpg [Оригинален размер].jpg
The hardest part of it all is actually cutting the wire. At the end, I actually added another half - circle so the lamp gets this nice round shape. But it's not really necessary.
After you make the frame, just twist the christmas lights around the frame.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

And we come to the fabric. I had this old curtain I don't really need and for a while I was wondering what to do with it. It's not really see - through, but not really thick either. I just covered the whole construction with the fabric and sew it to the frame.
pic4.jpg [Оригинален размер].jpg
The final result is a light construction that is not going to hurt my kid even if it falls. I actually added some nice cloth bugs inside and I guess you can get creative and add whatever you want in the lamp. My idea was for it to look like it's got fairies inside :)
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

How cute. I see the cat tried to "help' lol.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Yeah, she is my little helpful sweetheart :D
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Actually, because I didn't really like the effect of the christmas lights tied on the frame, I decided to put them in the back. So here's the updated version of the night lamp :)
Attachments
lamp2.jpg

Return to “Members' Personal Blogs”