Frequently occuring lucid nightmares..

Discussion about out-of-body experiences (astral travel), lucid dreaming, and other sleep related phenomenon such as night terrors and sleep paralysis.
Lillithjaymes

Your dream.

Post by Lillithjaymes »

I have had dreams like that as well. What I do before i go to sleep now is tell myself that i am going to dream about......something different and something that you want to dream about, and while you are in a lucid dream tell yourself if you are able to talk that it is a dream and that YOU have the power over it. if that doesn't work, i don't know. I am an insomniac as well. I drink mint tea with chammomile about an hour before bed and play soothing music as i sleep because usually my dreams are an after effect of the days stress. Hope this helps.
[SnowRaven]

Post by [SnowRaven] »

In addition to telling yourself what to dream prior to sleep, I would suggest small alterations/additions to the sleep environment.

A calming [non burning] scent would aid you - lavender is my first suggestion, but you might find solace in a different smell. On a bedside table or even within your pillowcase, place a sachet of the plant itself or a simulated oil might work just as well. [Oil/reed diffusersare available everywhere nowadays.]

If you are at all interested in crystals, might I suggest placing amyethyst under your pillow or bed. It might even be sewn into the muslin/cheesecloth sachet with the lavender...] There are other crystals/stones that aid in sleep.

As a last resort, you might place other protections around the bed/room or try sleeping in another room altogether. [perhaps switching bedrooms with another or an office] In the past I slept poorly in a room where I had experienced assault - only when I physically removed myself from it did I start to sleep better.

Good Luck!
Leo*Moon

Post by Leo*Moon »

You might want to research clairaudience. If you have the ability, even with out knowing it, you will be most likely to hear "voices" or sounds when you're falling asleep. I know from experience, it has scared the crap out of me quite a few times.
So the fact that you are hearing things and assuming that you have clairaudience would lead me to believe that there are spirits in the home that could be messing with your dreams. For example:
I once stayed at a friends house for a few days. I heard a voice a couple times and then every night I had nightmares that were just strange and abnormal for me. When I told my friend, he was kind of like, "Oh by the way, I have a poltergeist." So after a night terror I woke up and pretty much just spoke into the air like, "Look dude, you've had a good laugh. Now let me be." I think we came to an understanding.
So I don't know if this entirely applies to your situation but I hope it helps.
Here is one of my sleep easier essential oil blends I like to use:
5 drop Lavender
5 drops tea tree
2-3 drops Balsam Fir
in an oil diffuser
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. ~Shakespeare
Elem

Post by Elem »

Howdy,

I wouldn't worry about the whole 'hearing voices' thing - it happens to a lot of people, usually before they nod off.. But occasionally when waking up, too. It's all to do with hallucinations that can occur during a hypnogogic state (onset of sleep), or a hypnopompic state (leading out of sleep).

These hallucinations are quite common, tending to manifest themselves as someone calling you / shouting you / random voices / noises / bangs / 'explosions' of noise / etc... Often these auditory hallucinations are combined with visual ones too - colours, shapes, random 'out of focus' looking objects that appear to swirl and lack clarity.. All very usual during either of these states.

As for the nightmares, lilithjaymes offers some good advice - trying to teach yourself to dream lucidly - to have direct control over your dreams. I used to have terrible nightmares as a child; waking up shaking, frightened, teeth chattering. Then one day somebody told me I could control my dreams by 'thinking away' the 'scary things', and 'making them something nice'. I must've only been about six at the time, but it worked wonderfully. Never had a nightmare since! I appreciate that given you're older, it may be more difficult to train your brain into doing it now.. But you should give it a go. Once you get the hang of it, it's really not too hard :). There's a whole wealth of information on lucid dreams around this forum / the Internet.. Just have a quick search and a readup on it. The first step towards achieving lucidity in dreams is starting to consciously think about it. Once you start to become aware of your dreams and sleep patterns you'll find it becomes a lot easier. I tend to have a specific object that triggers my lucidity - strangely, it's usually my shoes. I recognise that the shoes I'm wearing aren't the ones I usually wear.. And that leads to me realising I'm in a dream. Once you get to that point, it's easy - just have fun doing everything you could, well.. Only ever dream of doing :).

Good luck, hope I've been able to help you out a little.

Elem
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

This page contains many great comments from posters who have had strange sleep experiences such as hearing voices. The article is mainly about hypnic jerks but read the comments.

If any of the suggestions here have helped, it would be nice if you would post again and tell others what has helped you. Otherwise, we will just think that the monsters ate you up and you are dead now.

Bright Blessings,
Mairte

Post by Mairte »

Just curious if you experienced any sort of emotional or physical trauma before these dreams started?
When my sister died I immediately started having nightmares, every night, not just once and they were SO real.And seemed to continue for a while upon awakening. That and the only other common thread is that she was always in them. This was over a year ago and still happening a few times a week.
Its hard for me to put this into words because I am still trying to understand it completely.
Different blends of aromatherapy seem to help me, all of them had lavender as an ingredient.

Return to “OBEs, Astral Travel, Lucid Dreaming”