Any tips on lucid dreaming?

Discussion about out-of-body experiences (astral travel), lucid dreaming, and other sleep related phenomenon such as night terrors and sleep paralysis.
Kassandra

Any tips on lucid dreaming?

Post by Kassandra »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kJ5-ad5Mvk

I'm trying to brush up on my lucid dreaming skills and was wondering if anybody had any good pointers, little things they do to help the process, dos and don'ts, etc.? Thanks.

Kassandra

Re: Any tips on lucid dreaming?

Post by Kassandra »

It's like "pre-programming" myself, it seems. Thanks, I'll try that.

North Star

Post by North Star »

Hey Girl! How did I miss this? lol

I love lucid dreaming. I don't think I can explain it though, it just happens I guess. One tip I recently read and agree with, is to try setting your alarm for 3 or 4 in the morning (or midway through your sleep time). Just the brief waking is enough to either help remember or to get you there. I have done that before when I become frustrated with dreaming ability and it always helps. I also have some great lucidity during naps, my recall is always so much clearer as well. (something about that briefer sleep length that seems to work wonders). My advice would be to set the alarm or take a nap with the intent to be lucid! Here is a little something I recently saw posted about this subject...

From Spirit Science and Metaphysics

Here are the top 10 tips for lucid dreaming:

1. Spending at least 10 minutes in putting down and recording your dreams in the morning. Even if you wake up in the middle of the night, try to remember and write down what happened.

2. Performing as many as 10 or more reality checks during the day, and these should be spaced out during the day. Does your reflection look normal in the mirror? Do the palms of your hands look normal close-up? How long do you stay in the air when you jump? Perhaps even make a marking on your hand and look at it throughout the day, and in your dream you will notice it missing and will become lucid.

3. Spending up to 20 minutes in the afternoon to incubate a lucid dream. The techniques to use here include meditation, self hypnosis, and visualization of what you wish to experience in your dream.

4. Before you go to bed at night, repeat this to yourself: "I will remember to recognize that I'm dreaming". Fall asleep repeating this in your head, and this awareness will subconsciously carry into your dreams. Know that in your dream, you will remember that you are dreaming. Affirmation is important.

5. Identifying your dream signs. You may also have that nasty experience of always running out of fuel whenever you are on your way to write a final exam. Again, it may be that you always have that horrible experience of your teeth falling off from your mouth. The best and most reliable way of determining your personal dream signs is by keeping a dream journal. Whenever you check it, you can easily identify those dream signs that
are regularly occurring. When your future dreams contain them, you will realize it's just a dream sign.

6. Imagine yourself being back to a previous dream. But this time, you have to re-live the ending differently. Visualize the scene in the dream in such a way that the details are clearer than what is obtainable in the previous dream. Next, search for the dream signs. Of course, this should be some unusual characters,
locations and objects which should reveal the dream to be mere fantasy; something you wouldn't see in real life. Next, start telling yourself that you are dreaming. Although you are just day dreaming (and this is by no means a lucid dream) continue to experience an imagined lucid dream fantasy. Do whatever you would do if this were a real lucid dream.

7. Research has shown that waking up during sleep can increase one’s chance of being lucid. So, in order to have more lucid dreams, you may want to wake yourself up in the night and bring yourself to full consciousness for a few minutes. You can spend those few minutes in reading about lucid dreams, meditating, visualizing, etc.

8. At times, you may wake up in the middle of the night and found yourself in this dreamy state. If this occurs, there is no need for you panic for your body and mind are already relaxed. Just drift into the dream world and of course, this can easily be accomplished without the least effort.

9. Lucid dreaming out of sleep paralysis. If you are undergoing sleep paralysis, you will find it practically difficult or even impossible to move your limbs. In this case, you have to try and float out of your physical body. How can you accomplish that? Well, just imagine how it feels when you're swinging really high on a swing in the park; that kinetic sensation can free you from your body.

10. This final step involve stepping into the lucid world and this means submerging your awareness fully into the lucid dream as well as stabilizing the dream to eradicate any chance of waking up.

There is an awesome lucid dreaming program available with 6 informative ebooks and audio files. Find more tips, techniques, benefits, and guidelines on lucid dreaming and astral projection here: http://tinyurl.com/o7nyr7n
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

North Star wrote:Hey Girl! How did I miss this? lol
Hey, what's up. Yeah, this is a post from way back in July. lol I just figured no one else here lucid dreams, so I just kind of forgot all about the post.
North Star wrote:I love lucid dreaming. I don't think I can explain it though, it just happens I guess.
Really? How did you discover that you were a natural lucid dreamer, and how old were you? Was it from an article you read? Or, was it discussed in your home growing up? Odd that the ability doesn't come easily for me though, considering other woo woo things I do. You seem really comfortable and well-versed on the topic, like it's an old friend. :)

So, like, what do you do when you're "over there," when you're in that lucid dreaming state? ....if you don't mind my asking (if it's personal, I understand, lol).

Thanks for the tips! I'm sure if I do all of those things it would kickstart the process. Out of all the things on the list, one thing I do do already: I have, for many years, kept a dream "lexicon" of my personal dream language. I've always had a lot of fun with that. I wonder if there's a ritual or a spell I could add to the process that would help me focus or program my mind, add more fuel to this. Hmm.

Thanks again.

scaravich

Post by scaravich »

I didn't see this until now, either! I also can lucid dream, but my ability to comes and goes. I don't particularly practice it -- it is natural to me. But when I make more effort to do things to make myself lucid dream, I usually encounter lucid dreams more often.

One thing that's important about the dream journal is that you're keeping the dreams on your mind. Whenever you remember a dream and write it in your journal, read it again a couple times throughout the day. Try to be really detailed when you write it, and try not to make stuff up (it can be tempting... like when a part was really hazy, and you think you remember it but not sure, or when you would have liked the dream to be a little different... simply thinking about what you wish you were dreaming about can alter your actual memory of the dream! So try to be realy accurate, even if you're writing "somehow" and "I don't know" a lot.) But yeah, read it again throughout the day and try to remember it all day long. Later, come back to it in a few days and read again... see if you remember having the dream, or if you just remember writing about it. The more you remember the actaul dreams/images, the more likely you will be to encounter lucid dreaming I think.

I also found it helps to talk about dreams with others. Telling others your dreams in detail, just like writing it in the journal, helps keep it in your mind.

Pretty much, the more you think about your dreams, think about the difference between dreams and realities, etc. the more likely you are to encounter a lucid dream it seems. Also, making sure you go to bed calm and happy is important. You want to go to bed thinking about the thing you want to dream about, or thinking about dreams. If you have worries or are stressed out, your mind will probably wander without you really noticing and it will 'ruin' your dreams (or at least distract you from having a lucid dream).

I can sometimes have vivid lucid dreams, but often when I have them, the more I try to control them, the more likely I am to wake up. But sometimes I can control them a lot. Usually I cannot change the setting, but I can interact with what's already there once I realize I'm dreaming. I usually can only control the other 'characters' to a small extent. They don't so much act on their own, but become a lot less lifeless once I realize I'm dreaming.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

scaravich wrote: Also, making sure you go to bed calm and happy is important. You want to go to bed thinking about the thing you want to dream about, or thinking about dreams. If you have worries or are stressed out, your mind will probably wander without you really noticing and it will 'ruin' your dreams (or at least distract you from having a lucid dream).
Interesting, that's the first time I heard this advice for lucid dreaming in all that I've encountered. It makes sense that calmness would be important. It sounds a lot like meditation --yes, one could meditate in an agitated stated, but the ideal meditational state is to begin calm, content. Thanks for all your thoughts on this, scaravich.

North Star

Post by North Star »

Honestly I never knew until a few years ago how I dreamt is considered 'lucid' until I read it on a prescription warning and looked it up lol. I thought everyone dreamt that way and knew they were dreaming. I haven't done much research on it at all, besides the short basics here and there on the subject in my witchcraft books. As far as what was discussed around me, oh most likely! I was raised around the metaphysical and witchcraft, my mother and 2 aunts. Lots of things I can't really explain, it has just been like this. I think I formed a lot of stuff (and maybe opinions lol) at a young age and some it just feels... normal. I think dreams are magickal (and I do use them as a tool in magick) and can be used and interpreted so differently from one person to the next, the more time you spend on them the stronger your ability to know and control them.

I don't really have dreams like I see some others describe, its like real life for me. Nothing really spectacular, sometimes pretty boring... No strange beings or weird symbols or crazy experiences or nightmares, not really. I haven't really tried (or experienced) anything in the spiritual sense either, but lately have been thinking about it, feeling a little out of sync with my Goddesses and that may be something I try in the future. I am working on a dream pillow and ritual ideas to help me with some kind of message, maybe a lucid visit to whom I should pay some attention to... something like that. I need a freakin' sign! LOL

Basically, I have conversations, visit places and people... Since I have been here in Alaska I dream of being at the ocean or other places I love (usually with someone but other times alone, kind of like ocean meditation in dream state I guess), I really enjoy my water dreams! Hearing the waves, smelling the ocean air, feeling the sand. I even remember once dreaming I was near the ocean and thinking how much it is going to suck when I wake up and see that is -20 and snow on the ground. Yeah I can ruin a dream quickly that way LOL. Knowing I am dreaming can be a buzz kill sometimes! :lol: Like Scaravich said, the more you try to control sometimes makes you wake up, so I try hard not to control too much or altar things in dreams I want to stay in. But ocean visits are a favorite, I can usually induce by listening to ocean sounds. I choose to be alone or spend time with someone else, all depends where the dream is when I realize I am dreaming.

I guess I really noticed more when I was on medications years ago for depression and insomnia the control factor. That was a dark time though and the dreams were not fun, lots of stress dreams. The drugs made it so much worse, I disliked my dream activity during that time. I started to realize more through that, that I knew I was dreaming, controlling what I said and did in those dreams and if I wanted to wake up or stay in it. I have woke myself up a few times and many times the dream picks right back up though, maybe just a different angle, but the same movie...waking myself seems to adjust if I do not like the direction it was going. But sometimes it fights to go right back where it wants to go. I have also been able to pick back up some good dreams too! That is tough to control also, to wake up and go back into it, but it does happen. Some feel like long movies I keep pausing, others just seconds long and totally disappear.

The last few years (med free, btw) I have a lot of dream activity with someone I have a strong connection with but far away from. Last one was on the full moon (that always seems to help!) during a 2 hour nap, this particular dream I remember his arms around me and as I woke up I could smell his skin and hear the echo of his voice and before I even open my eyes I try to absorb that as much as possible, and it sticks with me. I control everything I say to him, everything I feel and do. I tell myself in these dreams 'don't wake up!'. Some we are just together, maybe walking and holding hands, sitting near the water at our favorite spot, very simple but extremely real and I always know I am dreaming. What ends it is the thought that I don't want to wake up, and it wakes me up! Of course there is a whole different type of dream I have on occasion with him but I am going to keep this PG rated. :wink: I tend to have a lot more control of everything in those dreams and able to hold them a lot longer. Lucididty+dream magick+sexual energy= some pretty great dreamin'! (those are the ones I can control easily).

The other wonderful dream I have had recently is my friend who passed 2 years ago, similar dream experiences with her. I can feel her, smell her, still hear her voice when I wake up. I 'visit' with her when I am battling a big decision. She was the one who let me know I was doing the right thing as I was deciding whether to move here around the time of her death. I just had the second dream over this summer while another issue has been on my mind. It is an awesome feeling to see her and talk to her. I do struggle with contacting some other lost loved ones, another focus of mine currently. I do not try controlling those at all, I want her to control why she is there. The message means more to me that way.

I think for me, lucidity plays an important role in my recall. It is a lot easier for me to remember, my 'big' ones need no record they are as real to me as if I just experienced it. I think I like to let them play out (more than control them) and look to my recall ability as the real gift in lucidity. Recall can be tough for me sometimes, unless I am lucid. Sometimes I have been so unsure if a conversation happened in a dream or in waking life, it felt so real, I have had to ask the person if it really happened. Sometimes those have precognitive messages... but that is a whole other subject!

I guess I could describe my lucid dreams as a relationship tool for me. Maybe having so much separation in my life since I was young when I first moved here, it kind of developed into that for me... I don't know. A way of still being with those I miss. I spend a lot of time with the people I love in my dreams. That to me is awesome and I love being able to use them that way. Those dreams can help to bring me closer to them in other ways, help me work through issues I may need to deal with that person or just within myself, find messages in them, or just have fun.

In any dream work, a journal is key. The more you pay attention the more you will be able to be lucid. Meditation before you fall asleep can help, and working on sixth (third eye) chakra... for seeing and intuition, or to perceive and to command. And burn mugwort before sleep. :)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

This was a very rich post, North Star. Thank you for sharing so much of your lucid dreaming experiences. Great that you were raised in a metaphysical environment, versus a religious environment, which, from what I've seen, is a train wreck from which people seem to have a very difficult time healing. But I noticed my acquaintances who describe being raised in a metaphysical environment tended to have their psychic experiences validated, and they seemed to adjust to adulthood better ...just an informal observation, nothing scientific or anything.

Anyway, I like how you choose not to control the lucid dreams with your late friend, that it means more to you if she controlled what she did and said. Then, at other times, you do control where you go, what you do (the ocean visits sound really nice). Yes, I think separations from people probably have played a part in strengthening your lucid dreaming ability. I read that trauma strengthens all psychic abilities, it's kind of a reflex, a survival instinct we all have, etc.

And I know what you mean about the "buzz kill" dynamic in your lucid dreams; the same thing applies to out-of-body-experiences, too. I learned never to say, "Hey, look at that, I'm out-of-body now, well isn't that nice..." or anything like that 'cause then the boring, linear, 3D, buzz-killing mind goes, "Excuse me, this is impossible, you can't do this," and pulls the plug like a parent turning off the TV commanding, "Go to bed, now." I learned to just go with it and stay in the moment. I guess all of life should be that way, really. lol

Questions:

How do you use lucid dreams as "tools of magic"? That sounds intriguing. Burning mugwort before sleep sounds intriguing, too. I think I stumbled upon a large mugwort plant the other day, along with a big sage plant (the kind you bundle up and burn), all in the public domain. I'm going to find the groundskeeper and ask if it's OK if I pick some of both, whether it's been sprayed with pesticides, etc. (which I doubt, sage is like a pesticide all by itself).

Another question: the male friend you lucid dreamed of/with several times --were you ever able to confirm with him any of the experiences the two of you had? Or were they just experiences kept to yourself? I've had some pretty funny astral experiences with a friend confirmed.

And keep us posted on the dream pillow and the rituals you come up with, if you choose to. :wink:

Thanks!

North Star

Post by North Star »

Yes shared dreams can be fun, does not happen too often but I have had confirmation before. My intention was to keep it to myself but he would bring it up. Maybe they are shared, maybe just similar dreams, there is so much mystery in dreams. :wink:

I have to agree with the idea that keeping a journal and paying more attention to dreams is key to developing lucid abilities. When I start dismissing small, less meaningful dreams I tend to have a harder time with being lucid, and definitely tougher for recall in all my dreaming. It is the most important thing you can do to help your dream ability. The tools may help... dream pillows, meditation, stones, incense, but nothing will be more powerful than your own dream journal. Then the tools are just the 'icing' and make it more fun, or used for specific intent in dreams. My favorite tool lately has been a 'moon sachet' with stones and herbs that I hang in the window, kind of a spin-off of a dream pillow. :) And bay leaves. Love those bay leaves! Anyway, here is something I read recently...

Dream Interpretation and Recall Dream interpretation is the process of assigning meaning to dreams. In many ancient societies, such as those of Egypt and Greece, dreaming was considered a supernatural communication or a means of divine intervention, whose messages could be unraveled by people with certain powers. In modern times, various schools of psychology have offered theories about the meaning of dreams. In his book, "Die Traumdeutung" - "The Interpretation of Dreams" - Sigmund Freud argued that the motivation of all dream content is wish-fulfillment, and that the instigation of a dream is often to be found in the events of the day preceding the dream, which he called the "day residue." Although not dismissing Freud's model of dream interpretation wholesale, Carl Jung believed Freud's notion of dreams as representations of unfulfilled wishes to be simplistic and naïve. Jung argued that Freud's procedure of collecting associations to a dream would bring insights into the dreamer's mental complex, but not necessarily closer to the meaning of the dream. Jung believed that the scope of dream interpretation was larger, reflecting the richness and complexity of the entire unconscious, both personal and collective. Jung believed the psyche to be a self-regulating organism in which conscious attitudes were likely to be compensated for unconsciously within the dream by their opposites. Why not start a dream diary or dream journal in which you record your dream experiences. This can include a record of your nightly dreams, personal reflections and waking dream experiences. Dream diaries are used by people trying to lucid dream, and they are a useful catalyst for remembering dreams. The use of a dream diary was recommended by Ann Faraday in "The Dream Game" as an aid to memory and a way to preserve details, many of which are otherwise rapidly forgotten no matter how memorable the dream originally seemed. The very act of recording a dream can have the effect of improving future dream recall. Keeping a dream diary conditions you to view remembering dreams as important. http://www.thesmartwitch.com/

We use meditation to get ourselves in an altered state... I just think dreamtime can be just as important and powerful (maybe even more so) than any state. You can explore new possibilities within yourself, find the answers to questions, send or receive messages, add energy to a spell/ritual, and yes, share dreams on occasion!... lots of ways to use dreaming as a magickal practice. It has taken me a long time, and having gone through and noticing different 'patterns' over the years has helped me to work with them better.

This makes sense to me also... source 'The Wicca Bible: The Definitive Guide to Magic and the Craft' by Ann-Marie Gallagher (she just explains better than I could, in a way I can relate to)...

"While some people have the gift of insight into other peoples dreams, there are no hard and fast truths concerning all dreams or all dreamers. We have to construct our own dream dictionaries by observing the significance of our personal iconography, and in turn we can learn a great deal about ourselves.
You may have had the experience of being conscious, while dreaming, that you are in fact dreaming. This is known as lucid dreaming and in the craft we use this form of consciousness to do useful exploratory work. When we become adept at entering and prolonging this state, we may even use it for ritual use. This method of spell-working can have some powerful results. It has the advantage of allowing your imagination to manifest in ways that are more immediate, for example, invoking the elements or deities in a dream can result in a visual manifestation not usually experienced in circle-work. This in turn can make it easier for us to focus on the objectives of a spell and direct of energies toward achieving them."
(great book, btw!)

I have a tough time with visualization in a waking state, maybe dreaming has been my way to deal with that. It all ties together for me. I do most work ('work' can be a simple prayer to the Goddess, or a full ritual or performing of a spell, to chakra or other meditation) before sleep. Every time I tried to create my altar outside of my bedroom, never worked for me, it has to be close. I try to keep myself surrounded by my magickal stuff when I sleep. :fairy: Dreams and magick just always seem to be one of the same for me. I have been putting objects under my pillow since I can remember as dream tools. I can wake up feeling totally amazing from dreams, or absolutely drained and miserable. Decisions in my life show more random symbols, and tarot can help a lot in analyzing. I get a lot of messages, things I need to look at deeper, from dreaming. And none of it would work for me without being lucid.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Interesting quotes --thesmartwitch really is smart, lol gets into Freud, Jung, et al. I actually have The Dream Game book by Ann Faraday (haha, I mentioned it somewhere on this message board in the past). And thanks for finding that insightful quote by Gallagher on incorporating ritual into lucid dreaming (sounds like a great topic for the "Advanced Wicca" forum).

I guess I got inspired: as I read over your post, I instantly "saw" a working that might assist with lucid dreaming in my mind's eye. It involves water in a large silver bowl, willow branches, moonstones, a white candle, an oracle card (tarot, or other) that relates to dreams, and mugwort/rue incense. I'll have to put that together. Thanks, again!

Holdasown posted about a neat dream charm she just made: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 24960.html Saw some interesting comments in a search of past posts, as well (search: lucid dreaming). If anyone else has thoughts on lucid dreaming, don't hesitate to jump in! Different points of view, and/or different approaches, are great. :wink:

scaravich

Post by scaravich »

Kassandra wrote:.

Interesting quotes --thesmartwitch really is smart,
What a fitting name :)
I guess I got inspired: as I read over your post, I instantly "saw" a working that might assist with lucid dreaming in my mind's eye. It involves water in a large silver bowl, willow branches, moonstones, a white candle, an oracle card (tarot, or other) that relates to dreams, and mugwort/rue incense. I'll have to put that together. Thanks, again!
When I read this, it sounded inspiring... and the first thing I thought was "add lavender" :)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Nice.
North Star

Post by North Star »

I love this! Willow branches and moonstone, sounds wonderful!

Yes I would love to hear more from others about this also. I like to hear how others dream and relate to their own dreams. I have not found much on dream magick... I wonder if there is an actual whole book on the subject. I have looked into dream magick material through my amazon window shopping, havent found anything.

Keep us updated, Kassandra! I know Xiao was working on some analysis methods, this could be a great subject for the advanced forum. We could use a thread to share tips and experiences and rituals for dream magick. :)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Hmm, it seems lucid dreaming is also known as "dream yoga" in some circles, as there is a long tradition of working with lucid dreaming in yogic and Buddhist traditions. Here's an interesting interview hosted by Tami Simon, publisher of Sounds True media, and her guest, Andrew Holecek who compares "classic lucid dreaming" with the spiritual practice of "dream yoga." Lots of insights in the interview. The substance he mentions during the course of the interview is galantamine.

http://podbay.fm/show/307934313/e/13794 ... utostart=1

As for me lately, have had vivid dreams, as usual. Nothing I'd calll lucid dreaming, though.

Thanks.

Clairsentient_Wolf

Post by Clairsentient_Wolf »

Kassandra wrote:.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kJ5-ad5Mvk

I'm trying to brush up on my lucid dreaming skills and was wondering if anybody had any good pointers, little things they do to help the process, dos and don'ts, etc.? Thanks.

Unfortunately all of my lucid dreaming was done in high school through the use of Robotussin Cough and Cold gels...I wouldn't recommend trying that though because it's extremely dangerous and at the time, I was stupid. They call it "Robo-tripping" and obviously, you trip major ball sack. But there are plateaus that you reach according to how much of it you took. I don't remember how many I took but once, when I was alone, I did it and an hour later I had a spiritual experience involving Jesus Christ, the Lord and Savior of Christians (if you didn't know), Buddha was there and he was actually the one talking to me about the things in my life that were wrong that I could fix, and I do remember another spiritual being being there with them but I cannot remember what this spirit looked like or how he/she played into the experience. For all I know it could have been my spirit animal speaking to me through Buddha or Jesus.

By the way, I'm not against Jesus Christ or Buddha - I just believe that they were prophets rather than how Christians view them. I can say this because I was raised in a Christian household and still am living here in the same household (money issues prevent me from moving out and no one except my brother who cannot move on his own because of his condition knows that I have moved "to the dark side where we have cookies"). Just my two sense on that one.
Strong men run into battle and destroy their foes;
Wise men wait for their foes to destroy themselves.

Return to “OBEs, Astral Travel, Lucid Dreaming”