childhood experiences - astral travel or vivid imagination?

Discussion about out-of-body experiences (astral travel), lucid dreaming, and other sleep related phenomenon such as night terrors and sleep paralysis.
Shadows

childhood experiences - astral travel or vivid imagination?

Post by Shadows »

I was recently telling a friend about some memories I have from childhood and he told me it sounds like, based on books he has read recently, I was recounting stories of astral travel. As it is a really unknown concept to me I just wanted to run it by others here.

I have some memories from when I was a young child (couldn't tell you an exact age or ages but prior to starting school) where I was floating through a room in my house. The memories seem as real as any other memory from my childhood - they are not sketchy like a dream. I seem to recall that it was something I did often - floating through the room looking down on everything in it. I was always alone in the room and it was warm with sunlight coming through the windows and I felt absolutely content and at peace. It isn't something I consciously did or consciously stopped doing.

All my life since I assumed these were dreams or the product of an imaginitive young mind but have never been able to shake the imagery from my mind of looking down into that room as I floated nor the feeling of being weightless and thoroughly content.

Just wondering how others here might interpret it. I do feel a bit silly putting it to others who don't know me to posit what I might have actually experienced but I guess I hope this may either seem familiar to others or completely unfamiliar. Nothing ventured, nothing gained so I thought I would see if others have a feeling about it. Thanks.
AP670
Banned Member

Post by AP670 »

This is a good question. hmmm. Some people have just done such things. So its possible to say the least. do you lucid dream much?
Shadows

Post by Shadows »

Thanks Atheist of Peace for taking the time to reply.

In the past I wouldn't have asked such a question but now I am more open to more possibilities. In my own mind I wouldn't have jumped to any conclusions about astral travel but as my friend did I was willing to pursue the idea. In the end maybe it doesn't matter - whatever the experience the memory exists and who is to say what type of memories are valid, right?

I have a lot of trouble with memory around dreams. That is to say, dreaming is something I usually can't remember after waking unless there is a trigger around me that reminds me. But after a day or two it would be unusual that I could recal a dream even with the trigger. Dreams seem to be something my mind can't hang onto for long even if I remember and take a lot of time to think about them - before long they are gone. That said, I know at times in the transitiong from sleep to awakening I will become consciously involved in my dreams - for a moment - but it seems being consciously involved in a dream brings it to an end.
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Post by Release.the.bats »

It's quite possibly both.
Especially as children we are driven by our imaginations.
I have "memories" of things that didn't actually happen.
Like giant planes swooping down above my grandma's car and so on.
Just the same, children also are extremely open to the paranormal, almost like little beacons for activity.
So it is possible you astral projected and that it was propelled by your imagination in some way.

Return to “OBEs, Astral Travel, Lucid Dreaming”