Jack

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jack

Post by Firebird »

Yep, your friend and mine. Jack-o-lantern.
I thought I'd share a couple photo's from my Samhain. Which turned out to be a really lovely day. The weather was cool but not cold and the wind had fallen away quite a bit.
I started in the backyard and made a spiral for meditative walking with all the leaves that had been blown down in the last couple days. As I raked away the crows showed up. There were several squawking and talking to each other and they swooped through the yard on many occations but never settling there. Some would perch on the telephone pole to scream at me for a moment followed by two or three diving and chasing each other under the apple tree and over the fence. It was pretty special. I'll have to get a photo of the spiral too, didn't think of that.
When I went to decorate the front yard, (see, the wild hair did hit) what did I have but a yard full of crows. So I threw them some peanuts. It was a bit of competition between the crows and the squirrel for a time. That was fun.
Hauled out the skeleton and a few ghosts, hung lots of spiders from a giant web husband had made, and a few other ghoulies here and there. Add a little strobe light and the lightning tool and I was ready for the little monsters.
Next it was carve the pumpkins, my favorite part. Love those animated faces. (I'll come back with some "jack" lore)
down to the veins in his eyes!
down to the veins in his eyes!
IMG_2678.JPG
IMG_2690.JPG
IMG_2697.JPG
IMG_2730.JPG
IMG_2727.JPG
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Jack

Post by SpiritTalker »

Oooo. Like it :)
For some reason this area ha few crows.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jack

Post by Firebird »

I think the crows have circuits they travel, there should be a time when they come to your area, let us know when they do check in :D The ones that were gathering here are starting to become less and less.
What I do miss is the V's of geese that would come in by the thousands this time of year to winter at various location like the wildlife basin, the Jr college school, a few golf courses and the flood basin. Now were lucky if a couple hundred or so show up. You always knew winter was soon when the Canada geese were flying by.

So I'm a bit late on the jack lore and I'm sure most of us know the basic story of how they originated in turnips, it would seem the Christians have a hand in the Stingy Jack story, if you can get past all the advertising.
https://www.history.com/news/history-of ... sh-origins

The history channel also has a good article on the origins of trick or treat,
https://www.history.com/news/halloween- ... ng-origins

PUMPKIN PIE RECIPE

I used to make pumpkin pie out of the jack o lantern and called it Jack o Lantern Pie, Seemed having a candle in it warming the gourd slowly for many hours did something to effect the flavor. But it was a huge production to get the pulp to make the pie and it was so much volume of the orange goo, I would make about 5 or 6 at a time. Here's my recipe for one pie:
Jack o Lantern Pie:
8 inch pastry crust, ready made or do your own
1 egg
1 3/4 C. Jack warmed by candle for at least 4 hours then cooked. Peel and boil chunks of pumpkins until tender. Drain, mash, strain. Try to remove as much moisture as possible. An alternative might be baking but I haven't tried that, then there would be less moisture. (CANNED PUMPKIN WILL WORK AS ALTERNATIVE)
2/3C. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon (ground)
1/4 tsp. ginger (ground)
1/8 tsp. cloves (ground)
1/8 tsp. allspice (ground)
1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (which is usually a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice)
1 1/4 C. evaporated milk
Heat oven to 425. Mix all but the eggs in bowl. Beat eggs slightly with hand wisp. Stir eggs into pumpkin mix. Place crust lined tin on cookie sheet (will protect oven in event of spills)
Bake for 15 minutes, then lower temp to 350.
Bake at 350 for an additional 35 minutes.
test by inserting knife into center if it comes out clean it is done.
Cool
Enjoy with whipped cream.

Thanks giving coming! blessings to all,
Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”