I feel so unprepared for this Samhain

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
SapphireRoad

I feel so unprepared for this Samhain

Post by SapphireRoad »

I don't have any dark candles in store, will be buying next week.

Don't know what to do. Going into nature was never a good idea on Samhain. Best solution in my life so far just to seal the windows and lit dark candles. Spirits that come, come. Less is more than many.

Don't feel like contacting dead people any extra.

Will be in early stage of new Lunar cycle so it's a bit contradictory to the nature of the Sabbat.

Still I'd like to put this Sabbat on a good use. What is your opinion on the nature and purpose of this feast?
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: I feel so unprepared for this Samhain

Post by SpiritTalker »

Balance the pluses & minuses, smooth the wrinkles, put the garden to rest for the winter, and remember nothing is permanent.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

I feel unprepared as well. My wife and I were just talking about it this week. We haven't done any rituals, or celebrated the last two Solstices. We managed to tell some stories and light a fire when fall kicked in, but we are being kid of absentee witches. We haven't even done much for the secular national holidays either to be honest.

Of course my offering bowl got shattered in the spring, and I've missed two opportunities to buy a new one. I know I don't have to have a dedicated bowl but I liked having a dedicated thing. I have the space and the storage. We made sure to make space for a dedicated altar in the new house and we hardly touch it. Let alone use it.

It creates guilt.

I think of this holiday as an opportunity for acknowledgement. What is gone is not really gone. What awaits is not really new. It has been and will be again.
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Thank you both.
HopefulChild wrote: my offering bowl got shattered in the spring
Into how many pieces?
HopefulChild wrote: I think of this holiday as an opportunity for acknowledgement. What is gone is not really gone. What awaits is not really new. It has been and will be again.
I like this. Fills me with peace.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

SpiritTalker wrote:remember nothing is permanent.
I get depressed about the whole "change is changeless" would prefer to stay in a comfy grove, sigh, where of course growth doesn't happen much. :roll:
SL wrote:Will be in early stage of new Lunar cycle so it's a bit contradictory to the nature of the Sabbat.
Actually if were talking lunar correspondence I believe the dark of the moon is the time of the thinnest veil and could be considered Lunar Samhain.
I've been asked to Aspect the Morrigan for our Samhain rite. I'm still a bit on the fence about this, chances are it will be really powerful because I have had to walk with the Lady recently with the kitty Pumpkin and my brother, But coming out of it can be super emotional and I have only just recently got to the surface of the water. Heck the whole season can be emotional, remembering loved ones lost does not fill me with warm fuzzies, I do like to tell the tales they told but the fact that I cannot feel their warm flesh anymore makes a hole in my heart.
I also wonder if the colors of Autumn aren't the work of the Goddess in her infinite wisdom. Orange is a color to counter the "blues" doldrums, melancholy, and depression. there is much of that happening with the gourds and the trees that change this time of year. We just need to remember to breath that in, or perhaps I speak for myself.
Also much of the herbs and spices we have grown to love at the dark half of the year are things like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, etc... have mood stabilizing qualities to them as well as other health benefits. So have a pumpkin spice latte! and breath in the persimmon hue of fall, Yes?
I feel largely unprepared as well, the coffin is still buried (ha, not literally but under a bunch of stuff) and all the other Hallows décor are still sitting in their boxes, but at least I got them down out of the garage, so who knows, maybe I'll get a wild hair. halfsm
As for the altar, have my photos of this years departed ones and offerings of foods and sweets as the days get closer to Hallows. It looks good with the harvest crop intermingled.
:flyingwitch:
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

If you feel unprepared, do not prepare, come join my circle. ;) I'm having the same feeling... I'm trying to put in real effort for this, but I still feel I'm lagging behind somehow.

Last year was lackluster, I don't even remember what I did? This time I want to be thorough, do a decent celebration and decent ritual with such a bunch I've never had before. Unprepared or not, I will do mine, big time.
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

firebirdflys wrote:
SpiritTalker wrote:remember nothing is permanent.
I get depressed about the whole "change is changeless"

Yeah I frown upon it, I don't even agree with it that much anymore. Don't worry it's not death, it's death & rebirth. If you find yourself embracing the cyclic nature of time you have it all here. Rather still.
firebirdflys wrote:
SL wrote:Will be in early stage of new Lunar cycle so it's a bit contradictory to the nature of the Sabbat.
Actually if were talking lunar correspondence I believe the dark of the moon is the time of the thinnest veil and could be considered Lunar Samhain.
5th Lunar day still Moonless enough? I didn't realise the non presence of the crescent thing so thanks for reminding me. Still I'm doing Hekate's Deipnon today's eve and I can guarantee, if done but few seconds after the appex to first lunar day, that's already too late as that's the time when cheerful entusiasm of the new cycle already hits.
firebirdflys wrote: I've been asked to Aspect the Morrigan for our Samhain rite.
What does it mean? Wear her costume and preside over the rite?
firebirdflys wrote: I do like to tell the tales they told but the fact that I cannot feel their warm flesh anymore makes a hole in my heart.
I also wonder if the colors of Autumn aren't the work of the Goddess in her infinite wisdom.
So have a pumpkin spice latte! and breath in the persimmon hue of fall, Yes? maybe I'll get a wild hair.
BB, Firebird
Touching how you shared your emotions here.
To me autumn was always the time of melancholy, but the right kind of melancholy, the beautiful one. Probably because of those leaves dancing, trees murmuring and smell of water with dirt in the air.
Pumpkin spice I think you shared a recipe on this site so I'm gonna look it up!
Wild hair yes, I'm postponing the hairdresser's visit for too long, now each day haircut is a new adventure of its own, a tale.
Nice that the fashion shifts from stiff well-tailored suits to something more carefree. Men at work even as if afraid to shave their beards entirely, hahaha.
You reminded me of the wild hunt, I might be doing some wild hunt meditations in due time.

Blessings
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

@ FBF - I figure an obstacle is my own resistance to change or a natural part of the cycle, or maybe a bit of both. And yup, I keep looking for Kizmet to walk into the room even though I know her embodiment has been fulfilled. I'm trusting Samhain readjusts the void to advance her into her new existence. My rituals are by necessity pretty low key physically. I've bought the candy & that's as prepped as I can get in this plane. :D. You bring it all into alignment aspecting.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

:flyingwitch: It's getting closer! Really felt the shift today
SL wrote:What is your opinion on the nature and purpose of this feast?
Some would call it the Witches Thanksgiving. We definitely have a feast much like the American feast of Thanksgiving. In large part because it is the time of the final harvest. The one thing we do different is dumb-supper, which is eating the meal in silence. Relying on looking to your guests eyes, hand gestures and expressions to communicate. The reason behind this was to take time to dine with the dead, "speak not and listen well", for the ancestors are without their earthly voice, and they may have a message for you. Also a place setting is made for the ancestors and a portion of your meal is offered to the plate of the departed. Rarely have we been able to finish this meal without some one laughing or otherwise speaking out, or the phone rings, or an early trick-or-treater has arrived.
HopefulChild wrote:What is gone is not really gone. What awaits is not really new. It has been and will be again
so love this saying, it reminds me though of the Zep song What is and What should Never be to...What is and What should Never be, will be Again. :P anyhoo really good to see you around Hopefulchild, it's been a long time.
L.J.Hex wrote:If you feel unprepared, do not prepare, come join my circle
You did say the 30th right? I can make it that day. I would like to take some time in the astral as a deeper connection to the Shining ones. Our group is doing Samhain tonight. ( there are 2 other rituals next week...busy season smiley_dance blue_flee )
firebirdflys wrote:I've been asked to Aspect the Morrigan for our Samhain rite.
SL wrote:What does it mean? Wear her costume and preside over the rite?
Not exactly. Wearing costume can help facilitate a good Aspecting but it isn't necessary. What one is doing is basically a kind of trance channeling where the vessel becomes the aspect of a God or Goddess. A full body takeover. Then the vessel become the voice of oracle for the group. It requires a person to do the invoking who will also act as the grounder to bring the person out and back into their body. There is generally a scribe because the aspected one does not usually remember all that was said. Someone else leads the rest of the circle. It can leave one either exhilarated or exhausted.
SL wrote:leaves dancing, trees murmuring and smell of water with dirt in the air
Ummmmm, I want to walk down that lane :fairy:
SpiritTalker wrote:I figure an obstacle is my own resistance to change or a natural part of the cycle, or maybe a bit of both
thank you for that, I think a bit of both.
SpiritTalker wrote: I keep looking for Kizmet to walk into the room even though I know her embodiment has been fulfilled. I'm trusting Samhain readjusts the void to advance her into her new existence.
indeed, it's like an imprint shadow?, takes time to dissipate I imagine. Also have been expecting to see Pumpkin to look up from her couch spot when I enter the room. I think too her energy is realigning, the neighbor cat Dixie came in and had a look around today. I told her Pumpkin is gone you don't have to be afraid anymore, and she looked at me and said, "me-mouw".

Yea indeed, the wild hunt...
I have a little poem from Robert Cochran's group we use occasionally;

A CHANT TO THE TRIPLE GODDESS
"Her three faces we have known,
Maiden, Bride and ancient Crone
demanding her due in a ring of Stone.
the Hunter, the Stagg, the Boar we become,
for Hunter and Hunted are but One.

Three days, three nights, I lay capped with stone,
'til Past did Present and Future join,
shaping a bridge the Worlds to span.
the Hunter, the Stagg, the Boar we become

Three mystic Worlds the bridge must span,
from Earth, to Spirit, to Shining One,
to return again from whence we came,
and tread the spiral path again.
the Hunter, the Stag, the Boar we become,

Blessed All Hallows!
FirebirdFlys
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Yea Firebird, night of the wednesday 30th, or actually for me its gonna be little bit on 31st at the time I head out. ;) I'm looking at weather forecast, good timing as it should not rain or snow that night, there might be even bit of moonlight with some luck. :D
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Epic post Firebird.
firebirdflys wrote: I told her Pumpkin is gone you don't have to be afraid anymore, and she looked at me and said, "me-mouw".

demanding her due in a ring of Stone.

Blessed All Hallows!
FirebirdFlys
Well spoken by the cat.

what's the meaning of that verse?

Concerning Samhain I think I felt the inner fires lit no sooner than sunrise of October 31st the feast with inner fires lit until the sunrise of November 1st the midnight to deep night of 1st November being the dopppe time. Taking the Greenwich time 1st Nov 2:38 am Moon will hit 0°00' Capricorn the position of Solar Yule that occurs 21st Dec. Doppppe as f goodnevil goodnevil

Blessed be all hallows
Blessed All Hallows
forever, as mote it be.
For "every thing that lives is holy."
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

L.J.Hex wrote:If you feel unprepared, do not prepare, come join my circle.
I will not I'm sorry. Got my field already too mingled with others, I ought to be cleansing myself at least two weeks or so.
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

SL wrote:
L.J.Hex wrote:If you feel unprepared, do not prepare, come join my circle.
I will not I'm sorry. Got my field already too mingled with others, I ought to be cleansing myself at least two weeks or so.
Its ok, everybody is busy with something. :)

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”