My very first Samhain?

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
WitchyMermaid95

My very first Samhain?

Post by WitchyMermaid95 »

Hello everyone,

With October coming to an end, I've come to the realization that this will be my first year celebrating Samhain as a Witch and I'm honestly not sure where to begin...I've done a little research and it seems one if the most common ways to celebrate are with bonfires and outdoor activities. Unfortunately, I don't have access to outdoor space (at least not one where I could build a fire). Anyway, I'm sure there are other, beautiful ways to celebrate and I'd like to know how you all do it!

Thank you!
*Witchy Mermaid*

The world is full of magic things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper...
corvidus

Re: My very first Samhain?

Post by corvidus »

Invite your friends over and have a party :)

That's always the best way to celebrate.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

WitchyMermaid...
No matter what you do for Samhain
Remember to take a few minutes to reflect on those who passed...
Thank them for leaving a mark on your heart.
Thank your Goddess for the guidance She shares with you...
...and if you can, leave a few bites of whatever you are eating
outside somewhere where an animal can get it, as an offering.
Don't look back after setting it down, just keep going.
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Just think about what the holiday means to you, and invent a way to embrace that within your means.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I have a well defined tradition of pumpkin pie failures, but hadn't given details. I've tried one from scratch by peeling, baking and pureeing a live pumpkin. That one fell in the sink. When I tried making the pie from canned pumpkin, id left it on the counter to cool and then run errands. When I came home, the pie shell was empty and the cats were rather sick for a few days. Eew. Then I tried a frozen pie...it defrosted and leaked into the bag on the way home from the store. It's a a curse, im sure.

However, I've had a crazy dumb supper gathering, with each participant contributing whatever oversized utensils, mismatched and whacky dinner wear, such as flower pots, they could scrounge; & even drinking from a "glass slipper", and using anything to make consuming the meal hilarious. We served spagetti with no forks, and mud pies for desert. We provided bibs. The "dumb" part was that talking was not permitted, or you forfeited your utensils. Laughing, giggling & loud snorting was allowed. A special place was properly set in memory of our ancestors.

Another time a few of us sharing an apartment together held a Halloween open house with free fortune telling. We dressed up in kaftans and turbans. We just served snacks, cheap pizza and candy, and told fortunes.

If I'm by myself, like I usually am, I've done an ancestor altar with mementos and family photos, and a period of reflection on the generations who preceded me, & special time for divination. Another time I roasted marshmallows over a small BBQ coal & twig fire in my cauldron as my offertory. I was outdoors on the back door stoop. It was really cold that year, and snowed on Halloween. Once I just lighted a single candle, sat before it, and gave thanks. That year I'd made a "memory board" with names and dates from Salem, which I was researching at the time. An "elder board" with pics of famous Craft leaders and authors is another idea.
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Typically, I do a very simple offering of apples and whiskey in my backyard. Sometimes I also fill my cauldron with water and meditate.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”