Litha/Midsummer rites, anyone?

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Shireside

Litha/Midsummer rites, anyone?

Post by Shireside »

Litha, Midsummer, Summer Solstice...this time of the year has a whole host of beautiful names. With daylight hours just beginning their gradual decline, the days just following that point of greatest light, for me, are a time to acknowledge the less-than-savory ones out there in the Unseen world. From troublesome mischief-makers to proper wickeds, this year I put some of my time and energy towards honoring them for the frightful and tricksy folk they are, to show that they aren't being ignored. I made a poppet to their liking, lacing it with the tobacco that is pleasing to the shadow folk here in America and sweetening its stuffing with a little honey and lot of liquor. I put the poppet on the floor someplace commonly passed, but never lingered around, and for three days following the Solstice, I invited nasties to come and dwell in the attractive little thing.

During those three days, I had my roomates and myself all write our full names on scraps of paper, along with any fears we hold in regards to the second half of the year, and on the third night, befittingly enough a Saturday, I took the pieces of paper and bound them up around the poppet. The biggest fire I could muster in this living space was from an oil lamp on the little townhouse balcony, and it was just right. Careful now not to touch the poppet without tongs--a sweet-smelling spirit trap steeped in flammable liquor to its core--I held it over the fire and watched it burn.

Ideally, I would have liked for my roomates to jump the flame with me afterwards to better partake in its purifying oomph, especially after it had obliterated a trap so full of negativity, but they didn't want to go that far...so, I put on one of each of their worn shirts and jumped it for the lot of us. I had read of a rite like this, and it really resonated with me. All in all, it was a great experience, and probably one that I will repeat come this time next year.

Whether celebrating the fullness of the Sun's light, or for purification like this one, or anything else you fine folk think of for this season, I'd love to hear about any other Midsummer rites!
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Litha 2017

Post by SnowCat »

I don't think I've ever seen that idea before. It makes sense to honor the tricksters though. If they don't feel ignored, they might be less troublesome.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Shireside

Re: Litha/Midsummer rites, anyone?

Post by Shireside »

I feel it to be true, certainly. The rite I carried out was predominantly for the tricksies that make it into my home...the shady folk that cling to the people and things and/or are fed routinely by our latent fears. I'm generally kind towards insects, but if I catch a wasp in my house, you can bet it gets the treatment of banishment-by-swatter. Same idea here.

For shady folk that aren't in my home, I try to pay them their due respect while encouraging them to stay away from me and mine. When me or someone I live with are sick, or weakened in some other way, I'll leave a small offering for the nasties beyond the threshold of my space in addition to whatever (greater) services I pay towards my friendly and familiar folk honored indoors. I find that this kind of courtesy goes a good distance in remedying bad luck.
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.
James122

Re: Litha/Midsummer rites, anyone?

Post by James122 »

Where I live actually on the day it was very hot and there were no clouds so I could see the sun for the entire day. I left some of my clothes out in the sun for the morning and then later in the afternoon I sat in the Suns heat and felt the power radiating within my clothes.
Then I burned some Rosemary and visualised myself for the next part of the year expanding on my spiritual path.
For the next few days afterwards I wore the sun clothes for extra empowerment and a tigers eye crystal which I also charged in the sun. Now every time I feel a little lost on my journey I just meditate on the crystal and it always helps.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”