Ostara 2017/Spring equinox.

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
TwilightDancer

Ostara 2017/Spring equinox.

Post by TwilightDancer »

Monday, March 20
For those of us in US.

The season is changing. Spring is right around the corner. The time for new life and beginnings is here.

How do you plan to celebrate this time?

Got a favorite Ostara recipe? Share it!

I'm thinking of making my favorite Rosemary biscuits with preserves.

I will also be spending the day transplanting alot of sprouting plants I've started indoors to their forever home outside. I've got big garden plans this year.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Ostara 2017/Spring equinox.

Post by SnowCat »

I might be getting a new job. Not getting enough hours where I work right now, which means I will lose my insurance.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Oh dear SnowCat. I'm currently having the opposite problem right now. My work is forcing me to take the insurance they offer which means an extra hefty bill being added to the monthly budget. :evil:

Perhaps a ritual designed for "out with the old in with the new" is in order.

Siona

Post by Siona »

The spring equinox is one of the few yearly holidays have I have an actual set tradition for. I go out into the backyard, light a small fire for warmth, sit under the big maple, and watch the sun come up (or just watch it get light if it is cloudy). As it starts to come up I will offer some incense and some food and drink to the dawn and sun goddesses I honor. And since I live in New England, it looks like I'm going to be bringing in the spring while sitting in a bunch of fresh snow. ;)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oh that sounds lovely Siona, even with the snow. Looks like we are already into BAKE mode, last few days have been most warm.
And speaking of baking that sounds yummy TwilightDancer, and have fun in the garden that's one of the reasons I love spring...time to plant !!
Looking for work does not sound fun Snow, hope you get to do something witchy.
I'm not sure If we'll be at spring camp or not this year, my regular camping buddy is due to have a baby on the 20th, we may just hike out to the hill for sunrise circle. Charge some seeds for the garden. Last year we had hollowed out eggs and added herbs to them to seed our desires and then sent them floating down the creek. That was fun. Maybe do that again on Sunday.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Silvana

Post by Silvana »

Merry meet everyone!

This will be my 1st Ostara, the 1st time I celebrate Spring Equinox.

I officially accepted my path on Halloween's night. Kind of sweet from my point of view, but the Holiday had more meaning to me because coincidentally or not that was the night I realize I don't need to hide who I am. Before that I almost hid that part of me even from myself (by not letting go and being free in my journey).

Since my awakening I've celebrated Samhain, Yule and Imbolc.
I'm looking forward to Ostara as well. I feel like a young kid who gets to explore a brand new world.

Blessed be everyone! :) <3
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

Ostara is one of the best!
I love making egg heavy dishes around this time- last year I made a quiche with ricotta cheese, onion, roma tomatoes and asparagus. So. Stinking. Good.
I also made an adult beverage with one part St. Germaine, one part Champagne, then I added strawberries, lemon, and flower petals :) A non alcoholic version can be made by replacing St. Germaine with white grape juice and the champagne with either sprite or fresca. This drink is perfect for sipping on a patio- light and spring-like :)
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

I love that drink recipe Smogie!

I will definitely be trying that out. :fairy:

Silvana

Post by Silvana »

smogie_michele wrote:Ostara is one of the best!
I love making egg heavy dishes around this time- last year I made a quiche with ricotta cheese, onion, roma tomatoes and asparagus. So. Stinking. Good.
I also made an adult beverage with one part St. Germaine, one part Champagne, then I added strawberries, lemon, and flower petals :) A non alcoholic version can be made by replacing St. Germaine with white grape juice and the champagne with either sprite or fresca. This drink is perfect for sipping on a patio- light and spring-like :)
Wow, that drink sounds so tasty!
I must try it myself, thank you for sharing this with us.

I will also search and practice other rituals for Ostara.
Just a few days before I saw a post in a Pagan Group I'm in on Facebook about writing all your desires, love, luck, money etc on a egg and burry it on Ostara so The Universe, Gods and Goddesses help you with your intent.

Do you guys know any other traditions, customs, rituals? I'm always happy to learn.
Blessed be!
Shawn Blackwolf
Banned Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

Silvanna :

That ritual came from a dedication to Eostre, the goddess, yet you did not use "normal language." You used *Runes*.

Twilight Dancer :

The old arm position with bowls of incense or small flame, and "dancing/moving," was standing upright to begin, with arms held in a "W" shape, palms upright, holding bowls.

This was the old "Witches Rune" for letting go of the old,making way for the new. It was the position you will see on some old pottery, or frescoes.

Smogie Michele :

When is dinner ?

( sounds like *great quiche* )

Best to all...;)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Had a wondrous rite this a.m. We all managed to get to a location near the top of a mountain before dawn.
Ths veiw into the Valley is tremendous from here.
After a meditation on the springy aspects of the holiday we went for an Ostara egg hunt. Within each egg was a silk clootie cloth with a skill to be healed by written on it...essentially a talent to hone in the coming cycle. We each got 3. One of mine is Ogham, I've been meaning to get a solid foundation in this so now the Gods have spoken!
Soaking up the first rays of the sun is an invigorating and rare treat, as I don't generally do mornings. :P

HAPPY OSTARA EVERONE !

firebirdflys wrote:my regular camping buddy is due to have a baby on the 20th
her and I managed to hike up there to the camp site Friday before full moon, 'twas glorious to enjoy the budding out, she was hoping that big hike would induce baby download on the full moon, but as of now, baby is holding onto being an Aries!
Please, Send your light to this lovely high Priestess with the rainbow hair loveface

If the weather holds next week a couple of us may brave the knats to camp for a day or 3. Couldn't imagine missing it we've been going annually for 15-16 years now.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Sounds like you had an amazing view this am, FB.
firebirdflys wrote: Please, Send your light to this lovely high Priestess with the rainbow hair loveface

Bb, Firebird
Sending light to your camping buddy FB. Hoping for a happy healthy baby. To be born on the equinox. How special.

Smogie: I tried your recipe. I drank all of my st.Germain...
So it's off to the store in the morning for more, so I can enjoy some with my biscuits.

I hope everyone has a lovely Ostara.

SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

WooHoo! We had a thunderstorm during the wee hours of the night. A real window rattler, yet only a refreshening amount of rain. Right now, on this wonderful first day of Spring, we have sunshine, partly cloudy and blessed warmth! Last week's final arctic blast is gone. We had a dusting of snow on the ground midweek! This is bliss. I've been out in the sun just grinning.

I'd woken with a clogged head and sore throat, but beat it into submission about an hour ago after salt water gargling, centered breathing and putting on a bracelet of shungite beads. I'd almost given in and was reaching for a can of Campbells chicken soup, when BOING! It all cleared up. So happy happy happy Spring!

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”