Deerstep's Esbat Camping Guide

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Deerstep

Deerstep's Esbat Camping Guide

Post by Deerstep »

Sometimes, for a religion/spirituality that emphasizes connection with the earth, we sure like being cloistered in our houses and apartments. To keep in touch with Our Dear Old Mom, sometimes it's therapeutic to just jump back into the wild with both bare feet. Most people would argue that 'camping is expensive and dangerous'. I find it to be the complete opposite. Camping, hiking, backpacking, what-have-you, is only as expensive as you make it. It takes planning, but it is completely doable to camp solo and celebrate the turning of the wheel completely surrounded by the woods--and, do it safely and comfortably. Follow these properly, and you can camp pretty much anywhere; even in the winter.

-Whenever going out on any outdoor excursion, tell someone and leave a note. This note should detail where you're going, the route you're taking, and when you plan on coming home. Make sure that you have somebody who knows that you're out in the woods, in case something goes wrong.

-Before you go camping, find a map and use it to find a good place to set up. What you're looking for is a place that is relatively flat, clear of trees, close to a road, and close to a river or lake. Or, you could just Google your local established campsites.

-Warning for fall campers; if you're going to be around your camp during the day, make sure you are wearing something brightly colored. It is hunting season, and depending on how far off the beaten track you are, a hunter might mistake you for something he'd like to shoot. This happens very very rarely, pretty much almost never, but it does still happen.

Gear List

Layers- Sweaters, hats, and scarves are your friend. Your feet will get cold the most easily, so I would recommend thick wool socks. My usual night-time gear (in order of importance) includes; wool base layer/good long johns, a heavy sweater, two pairs of thick warm socks, a watchcap/balaclava/long scarf, a light jacket, and sweat pants.
If you have to skip on anything, I would skip the jacket and the sweat pants. Long johns are vital, but if the weather is okay and you're not relying on just an army blanket, you could probably pack less, but the sweats, scarf and socks are absolutely vital to keeping warm. Wool is best here, but synthetic is okay. For colder weather, bring double the socks and sweaters. One trick to keeping your feet warm is to put them in your stuff sack (the bag your sleeping bag came in).

Water- For an overnighter, I'd recommend a 64-ounce bottle. Some for drinking, some for cooking and washing up.
I like using a steel Klean Kanteen for any campout I do. You can boil it in the fire (with the lid off) and once it cools down a bit you can keep it in your bag for a little extra warmth. Three seasons of the year, this is definitely optional. But, in winter, I would say it's a requirement. Just make sure it's only warm to the touch, not hot. Too hot and you might melt your sleeping bag. Never, ever let your water freeze!

Sleeping Pad- This is very, very important. Insulation from the ground will keep you warmer than even the best -20* sleeping bag. Cheap solutions are; Hardware store egg-crate foam or closed-cell foam. This stuff is awesome, and it usually only runs you about $20-$30. Make sure it's between 1-1/2 to 2 inches. Anything thicker than that, and you may have difficulty packing it around. But, if comfort is the most important thing to you, go as thick as you'd like. Be sure to get a tarp to protect your sleeping pad from ground moisture. It doesn't have to be big, you can trim it to fit the area your pad will take up.
For winter, I strongly recommend getting a sleeping pad specific to wintertime camping.
If you need a pillow, I recommend taking what layers you didn't wear, putting them in a stuff sack and using that. Inflatable pillows are overrated.

Sleeping Bag- A good rule of thumb is to get a sleeping bag rated for 10* lower than the expected night temperatures. You can likely find these used for a rather reasonable price. The weeks before Christmas are the best times to score a good one. Average price for a warm-weather bag is $50-$60. A winter bag is slightly more expensive, as it contains more filling. I personally prefer mummy bags because they tend to retain heat a lot better than square-bottom bags.
Be sure to get a bag liner. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, just capable of protecting the inside of your bag from sweat/condensation. Because sleeping bags are a b**** to wash. Your layers should be doing most of the job keeping you warm at night. Average bag liner is $10.

Tent- A small, 2-man pup tent is ideal for solo ventures. I say 2-man because you need somewhere to put your gear. Make sure it has a good floor and rainfly that won't leak at inopportune times. If the weather is going to be clear, the tent is completely optional. Sleeping under the stars is one of my most favorite parts of ritual camping. If it is windy, overcast, or if there is even the slightest chance of precipitation, bring the tent, and set it up first thing when you get to camp.
These range from the really cheap but really flimsy ($25) to something a little more high-end ($50-200).

Camp stove/Fire- If you get to the campsite early enough and the weather's been dry, you can likely build a small fire. Just be sure to be very, very careful with said fire. PLEASE CHECK YOUR LOCAL CAMPFIRE LAWS. Always bring a collapsible bucket, and keep it full and within reach of the fire. If there is a wildfire risk, leave the lighter/stove at home. If it's not safe to build a fire where you are, there are camp store MRE's that don't require a fire to make a hot meal. But remember, the size of your fire is directly proportional to your ingenuity and creativity; a small fire means a smart camper. A big fire either means Beltaine, or someone who's a rookie.

Food- You could probably just eat at home before you leave and skip the 'cook at camp' part, and pick up breakfast on your way home. This is the safest option, as it significantly reduces your (already very very small) chances of a bear encounter by carrying no food with you. If you need to carry food, you won't need much. Probably a 1/2 cup of powdered soup mix in a sandwich baggie for dinner, a bag of trail mix, and a packet of oatmeal for breakfast. Best thing about these is you can eat them cold and skip trying to make a fire.
For cooking, all you need--for ANY venture-- is a steel mug and a spork. No pans, no pots, no fancy cooking gear. They waste precious backpack space, and are more often than not completely redundant.

This is literally all you need for an overnight. It's a good idea to bring a flashlight, a way to call for help, a knife, and some rope and a bag to make a bear hang (if you brought food). You don't need to have a lot of stuff, contrary to what most outdoor magazines would lead you to believe.

Picking a Campsite

Picking a campsite is a matter of personal preference. For me, I can camp nearly anywhere. But, most people prefer established campsites. Depending on what kind of ritual you want to hold, you may want places that are more secluded and discreet.

An overnight campsite on public land usually is only $15-$25, less than a cheap motel. The more expensive it is, the more amenities it has such as bear bins, running water, toilets, fire pits, parking space, or even RV hookups. Again, YMMV.

If you're camping sans-RV, you have to look for certain dangers before pitching up.
1) Is it flat? Flat land is best, but if you have to sleep on an incline, sleep with your feet pointed downhill and your head uphill.
2) Is it fire-safe? Remember, most wildfires are caused by people not managing their fires properly.
3) Is it near water? You need water when you're camping, to drink, cook, and douse fires. That said, always, always, ALWAYS camp at LEAST 300 feet/90 meters from the nearest water source. This is to keep you from contaminating the water by accident. Also, animals really like water as well. Unless you want to run into a skunk, keep your site well back from the riverbanks.
4) Is it under any widowmakers? (Dead branches, loose rocks, anything that could fall on you while you're asleep. Trust me, they earned the name 'widowmaker'.)
5) Is there any sign of animals/unpleasantness nearby? Look for ant nests, weird fungi, scat, recently disturbed dirt, anything that says 'something other than humans was here recently'.
6) Is it protected from the weather? Caves seem like an attractive option if they are nearby, but don't go for it. Bears, mountain lions, bats, and even skunks and badgers like caves too. And it's likely that real estate's already been claimed.

Bringing Ritual Tools

Bring what you feel like you can carry.
Really.

I'm not one to tell you what you can or cannot bring to your own rituals. That's your trad, not mine. But, I do strongly recommend bringing smaller, more mobile tools that won't take up as much space in your pack. If you can get some of your gear to double as ritual tools, more power to you. That steel mug you used for cooking your stew? That can be a pretty decent cauldron. If you brought a knife, you can (carefully!) use that as an athame. You can build an altar out of stuff near your campsite and disperse it when you're done with it. Flowers, feathers, rocks, twigs, bark, shells, what-have-you. What I bring for a campout ritual can fit into an 8-oz Mason jar.

But still--have fun! I might be repeating some redundant information, but camping doesn't take as much cash as you'd think. The super deluxe palace camping toted in magazines sure is. But basic, down-to-earth stuff is just a matter of finding a few crucial elements and making them work, just like magic. It's likely you have all the stuff you need in your closet. If you have a weekend free, this is something that most people can hash out of their schedule. It's just a matter of arriving early and leaving early.
"You're mad, bonkers, completely off your head. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are." ~Lewis Carroll
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Deerstep's Esbat Camping Guide

Post by Firebird »

This is a great resource list Deerstep! Thank you so much for posting :fairy:

If you have never been camping I highly recommend it. There is nothing more invigorating and grounding than waking up in the out-of-doors. Being comfortable is important otherwise you might not want to try it again.
I've camped my whole life and have done everything from sleeping on the ground with just a sleeping bag and an ice chest of beer to a full on trailer with hook ups. While a trailer can be nice in the winter and just a sleeping bag and beer in the summer, somewhere in between is best.

I'd like to add a couple points...

Sleeping)
Deerstep pointed out the mattress as being a key componet to staying warm, I totally agree, there is nothing more miserable than feeling the cold eek in from the ground. One year at Joshua Tree I froze my butt off with out a ground barrier. Nowadays I also bring one of those emergency blankets which is basically a mylar sheet, I find that makes a good barrier from the cold and put it under my mattress.

Fire/stove)
Never leave the matches at home, even if you cannot have a fire, they are essential survival tools should you get in a jamb, (you can deal with the law later if it depends on your survival) I use a sterno stove which is usually acceptable everywhere though you may need to get a fire permit from the local ranger station. When you posses a permit you're supposed to have the bucket for water and a shovel. The other thing about a sterno stove is the sterno can be used in the tent to add warmpth if it is totally freezing out.
Deerstep wrote:A big fire either means Beltaine, or someone who's a rookie.
:lol: or it's my husband the bad Indian!

Water) always bring more than you think you will use or camp somewhere that has a spigot. There is nothing worse than running out of water. If hiking in, bring tablets to purify water drawn from a lake or river, or boil it for 10 min. Giardia is nothing to mess with. Again if in a jamb, extra water may be life saving. (Or extra beer) lol
Deerstep wrote:ALWAYS camp at LEAST 300 feet/90 meters from the nearest water source. This is to keep you from contaminating the water by accident. Also, animals really like water as well. Unless you want to run into a skunk
excellent excellent points!

A couple other things I would bring just for safety sake:
Mirror (or CD)... worst case scenario... these could be a signaling device should you find yourself lost.
Whistle, can be used to scare off wild animals or signal for help (screaming will wear your voice out)
Pocket knife, being a florist, I always have one. (Never know if youll need to make an arrangement! Lol)

As for ritual gear, my blade is essential it can be used for ceremony or for protection if need be. I used to bring a ton of stuff, but if hiking in I will find items in nature for the altar, if driving in I may bring candles, incense and the chalice along with other tidbits.

I personally like semi-developed (or fully developed) campgrounds. There you will have a rest room, water, fire ring and most likely other people you could employ to help should you injure yourself.
Get to the dirt people! You will never know what you are missing until you try it. :fairy:

Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”