Celebrating Beltane as a Solitary?

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
floridawitch

Celebrating Beltane as a Solitary?

Post by floridawitch »

Hi everyone.

I recently began studying Wicca, and Beltane will be my first sabbat. I am a solitary practitioner. I do not have a coven or even know any other Wiccans or witches. So, my question is, is anyone else celebrating alone? If so, what are you doing?

I'm probably going to hold my main ritual on April 30th night, followed by a backyard fire pit and some wine. On the 1st, I am going to go and pick some blueberries at a blueberry festival with my boyfriend, so in a way, that is a celebration all of its own. :)
Blessed Be!
crescent

Re: Celebrating Beltane as a Solitary?

Post by crescent »

That sounds lovely! I prefer acknowledging events in my own ways, and by what it does and does not mean to me. At the last circle, I went through motions and my heart wasn't there (even for the sake of of fun). So that phase is probably over, but even though I prefer being solitary, it doesn't mean I feel on my own. I can celebrate with my husband, my pets, or my forest "family". I also start at sundown, so planning a bonfire on the 30th. The next day, spreading ashes for abundance and protection.
floridawitch

Post by floridawitch »

That's awesome. :) I like the idea of spreading the ashes the following day.
Blessed Be!
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

This is my first time for Beltane as well. I am sort of "understudy" of a Wiccan priestess (is that the correct term) who works in a coven. She won't tell me much about her coven as I'm too new, but she assigns homework. And for this she wanted me to read up on Beltane. I have had so much going on I have not done so, though I saw it was coming up. So I did some reading on it. I certainly have no means for a bonfire where I live. Most flowers mentioned as being significant do not grow here in the high desert. I wonder if I should look into planting something for future celebrations? I liked the idea of making meals symbolic of the holiday and using decorative ribbons and flowers. Probably all I can do this time.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Since the flowers mentioned don't grow in your area, I would try researching what could be used as alternative flowers. If the tradition you're following, had started in the high desert, flowers from the high desert would have been used. Part of the path, is adapting your practice to fit your situation.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Becks

Post by Becks »

I wholeheartedly agree with Snow. Being in tune with the seasons is about celebrating the life that is unique to where you live.
WitchyWhitney

Post by WitchyWhitney »

I am celebrating by going to a friends, who is having a bonfire. I am new as well and I have been searching for a good ritual I can do before hand, at the fire, and tomorrow. I could not fall sleep last night till 3am and that is rare. I woke up early this morning tho and my heart was very happy. I am exited.
floridawitch

Post by floridawitch »

WiccanWitch wrote:This is my first time for Beltane as well. I am sort of "understudy" of a Wiccan priestess (is that the correct term) who works in a coven. She won't tell me much about her coven as I'm too new, but she assigns homework. And for this she wanted me to read up on Beltane. I have had so much going on I have not done so, though I saw it was coming up. So I did some reading on it. I certainly have no means for a bonfire where I live. Most flowers mentioned as being significant do not grow here in the high desert. I wonder if I should look into planting something for future celebrations? I liked the idea of making meals symbolic of the holiday and using decorative ribbons and flowers. Probably all I can do this time.
I read, somewhere, that planting something for Beltane is good luck? Even better, if you're going to use it in future celebrations and rituals! :) I also like the idea of symbolic or special meals for holidays. I made some Beltane cookies, and have some fresh flowers on my altar.
WitchyWhitney wrote:I am celebrating by going to a friends, who is having a bonfire. I am new as well and I have been searching for a good ritual I can do before hand, at the fire, and tomorrow. I could not fall sleep last night till 3am and that is rare. I woke up early this morning tho and my heart was very happy. I am exited.
That's awesome! Are your friends pagan as well? I, too, am excited for tonight and tomorrow. :)
Blessed Be!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I'm also solitary, and like to make pop corn to share with the birds, and maybe imbibe a little bit of wine, with libations, although I usually share an apple. Weather forecast is for rain, so I'll wait and see. I meditate on the season.
floridawitch

Post by floridawitch »

SpiritTalker, that is a wonderful idea. Sharing popcorn with birds sounds lovely. Nice way to connect with nature and enjoy a tasty snack! :)
Blessed Be!
floridawitch

Post by floridawitch »

rsz_1photo_3_2.jpg
Some Beltane cookies I made. :)
Blessed Be!
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

Those are neat. Is today Beltane or tomorrow? I read it is may 1 but the celebration starts the night before?
floridawitch

Post by floridawitch »

Thanks! Tomorrow is Beltane, but I believe that, traditionally, celebrations start on the night of April 30th and go through sundown of May 1st. I'm not entirely positive, but that is just what the internet turned up during my searches.
Blessed Be!
crescent

Post by crescent »

As I understand, days begin at sundown, as is observed in some cultures. I agree with working with what you have and your location. There are usually downed trees to clean up, so for us it was more of a "scheduled" bonfire and practical since burn season will end soon. We worked all day cutting up trees and dragging them over to the fire, with just enough firelight at dark to have a small ritual at a stump-altar.
floridawitch

Post by floridawitch »

crescent wrote:As I understand, days begin at sundown, as is observed in some cultures. I agree with working with what you have and your location. There are usually downed trees to clean up, so for us it was more of a "scheduled" bonfire and practical since burn season will end soon. We worked all day cutting up trees and dragging them over to the fire, with just enough firelight at dark to have a small ritual at a stump-altar.
That is how I understand it as well.

Your ritual and bonfire look lovely. It's nice that you were able to hold it out in nature. Beautiful!
Blessed Be!

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”