Samhain, my run down.

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
HopefulChild

Samhain, my run down.

Post by HopefulChild »

So we started off the day with family breakfast, followed by stories and family time.

We made bread.

Took the little ones trick or treating. This is the first year both of them could walk together, so exciting, they rock at begging for candy!!!

Came home and had dinner and candy.

Made an offering for the ancestors and some VERY odd happened, that has never happened before.
My traditional offering to the ancestors is in a little ramekin dish. It is Honey, Milk, Cheese, Bread, a Fruit, and a dab of whiskey.

Tonight, I put everything in, and just like always I added the whiskey last. Well when I added the whiskey tonight, it started to swirl, and almost bubble like it was boiling, and it did that until is was so dissipated that you couldn't smell the whiskey anymore.

I yelled for my wife and made her watch while I added a little more whiskey and it happened again! It started swirling and being all active and we were both amused. She said my ancestors must really like whiskey.

So I did it one more time to amuse myself, and then set up my incense in my space, and added the offering and said my prayers and respects.

Then finally I did a simple Sage cleansing of the whole house, top to bottom and lit incense in the places that open up to the outside most often to let those burn longer.

I'm pretty good at chemistry. Did 2 years of chemistry at a good university as my major...and right now, I'm pretty stumped on what would cause the reaction that I saw tonight between the milk, and honey, and whiskey, and why it's never done it before. It's the exact same whiskey I've used for the last 2 years. I keep it in the freezer, and I only use it for ritual...(cause I don't drink whiskey), but my ancestors did. I know they did.

Maybe...there is something to the surface tension of the water suspended in milk fat that the honey saccharin started to bond with and the alcohol started breaking those bonds violently, so every time the bond thresh hold was breached, new milk would rush in, start bonding with the sugars, and also start being degraded by the alcohol...that would allow the alcohol to bind with the sugar and a water and leave behind "whey" but I didn't see any discoloration...but this was pastuerized 2% milk ,so there wouldn't really be any heavy fatty acids to break down and oxidize right away anyway, but without any fatty acids the sugar bonding should have taken too long for the alcohol to be jumping around like it was in the first place...It's 2% so there are still fatty acids....maybe that is what was happening but without the dense cream fat and no bacterial component there was no oxidation right away...who knows. I'm tired LOL.

Maybe my wife is right. Maybe they were waiting for that whiskey and were just really excited to get to it.
bluejay_1919

Re: Samhain, my run down.

Post by bluejay_1919 »

Sounds like a lovely day and evening! Our son just turned 3 so it's his first time to get into trick or treating, so I get how exciting it is to watch little ones walk around & enjoy themselves!

As for the offering, I'm not scientist or chemist but I am into all things supernatural & paranormal. I'll agree with your wife...your ancestors thank you for whisky! Haha, but on a serious note, it could be simply a way of showing you thank you for acknowledging them. With such a wonderful ritual and cleansing your home, they may visit you in your dreams tonight!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I put some goody bags together for my grandkids, and delivered them. That was the extent of what I had the energy for. Next year I'll try to avoid the nasty respiratory infection.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
bluejay_1919

Post by bluejay_1919 »

SnowCat wrote:I put some goody bags together for my grandkids, and delivered them. That was the extent of what I had the energy for. Next year I'll try to avoid the nasty respiratory infection.

Snow
Hope you get well soon, SnowCat! Take care of yourself-
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Aww. I hope you feel better Snow. * hugs*.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

I think you just have thirsty ancestors. They've missed whiskey. Hah. Mine are the same way!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Thanks for the get well wishes. That's a very interesting happening with the whiskey. I may need to try that next year. I know I have a number of thirsty ancestors. I probably would need to do a dish of whiskey and just dabs of all the other stuff.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Becks

Post by Becks »

And a can of tuna or dish of milk snow. ;) I suspect not all of your people are 2 legged.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

I hope you are feeling better Snow!

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”