New Moons

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Vesca

New Moons

Post by Vesca »

They aren't Sabbats or Esbats, but they are cyclical and they are something I celebrate.

The New Moon is generally associated with closing an old chapter and making way for a new, banishing rituals, breaking bad habits, ending a new project properly so you can start a new one unhindered and with all your energy regained.

Personally, I use it as a time do so some divination on my current life situations that need tending to and a time to decompress and let go of as many stressors that have accumulated throughout the month that I can. Sometimes I use props (incense, ritual baths), sometimes it's simply a matter of taking something to drink and sitting outside trying to reconnect with the lunar energies and "feel" my inner Self again. It really depends on how much time and energy I have available at the time.

So for the sake of discussion:

Do you recognize and celebrate the new moon? If so, how? What does it mean to you?
sebjon

Re: New Moons

Post by sebjon »

Because I'm quite new to the craft, I haven't had to much experience yet...
Anyways, what I have done is - meditation and rituals for honouring and thanking the God and Goddess and simultaneously trying to purify and clean myself (and working on getting rid of habits) by doing rituals by anointing myself and meditating.

Obviously because of the new moon as a sign of rebirth and new beginnings, so I try to do so myself!
dualhands

Post by dualhands »

I tend to look at projects I've been wanting to do, and decide witch one would be best to follow through at that time in my life.

I also like to make a new "goal" or object I would like to attain, and do a small spell or ritual for that!

That's two of the main things I do with new moons. :D
diligentibus te dilectio qua dilexisti me , sic fiat
Clairsentient_Wolf

Post by Clairsentient_Wolf »

That's interesting that you mention the New Moon - when the sky is "pitch black". It's interesting that you celebrate and admire those particular nights...

I tend to notice the Full Moon as being me at my strongest peak of the month. I am more in-tune, I can focus much better, I feel happier in general; I feel like nothing can stop me.

Oh how the moon phases affect us, huh? haha
Strong men run into battle and destroy their foes;
Wise men wait for their foes to destroy themselves.
Siona

Post by Siona »

The new moon (first crescent) was the most sacred day for much of Greece. I based my celebration off their ideas, but they're not exactly reconstructions...

On the night before the new moon is Hekate's supper. It's the last day of the lunar month, and a time to tie up all loose ends, as well as to physically clean the shrines/altars, purify them, and clean the house in general so it's ready for a new month. Anything cleaned off of a shrine is offered to Hekate, and a food offering is made to her and her dead as well, everything left at a crossroad.

On the night of the new moon I read traditional hymns and make special offerings to Hestia, Apollon, Selene, Fortuna, Zeus, the household spirits, and my ancestors. I also make a special dinner for my family to celebrate the new month. While I'm cooking I spend some time thinking about what's coming up in the month ahead, and what I'd like to accomplish over the next month.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

I celebrate every phase. I also was born on August 13th. Which not only is the day of Hecate. It is also a day that Perseids meteor showers re occur every year. I love pretty much every celestial event. .. I like to do spiritual sweeps when new moons allow and start the process for creative venues and things of that sort on full moons. .. And of course everything in between. To everything there is a season. .... And a moon. Hehe.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”