What are some things you do on Ostara?

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
mangosandy82

What are some things you do on Ostara?

Post by mangosandy82 »

I am thinking up ways that I could celebrate the first day of spring/ostara. What are some things you guys do? I've never done this before but here are my ideas.

Light a non scented candle
Burn incense
Listen to wiccan music
Go on a nature walk

What do you think of my ideas? I don't know how to do rituals yet and I don't have any for Ostara. But I am looking forward to that day! I keep thinking about it...
Obsidian

Re: What are some things you do on Ostara?

Post by Obsidian »

I've only just started down this path as of this year so it's all new to me too :)

How about some seasonal cooking? I'm not a great cook but I'm still looking forward to using whatever's in season and seeing what I can whip up. I'm also going to think about balance in my life as it is one of the equinoxes. I'm going to think about the parts of my life that I've been neglecting ans see what I can do to balance things out. Kind of like a New Year's resolution... but in March. :evilwitch:
PaganSerpent

Post by PaganSerpent »

I plan on dying some eggs, going to a local park or just walk around my neighborhood. I want to do some baking (or try to).
mangosandy82

Post by mangosandy82 »

Those all sound good. I'm not the one who cooks so I'll have to ask my fiance. What are some things that Wiccans eat on Ostara???

I used to dye eggs growing up. It was so much fun. :)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I like to balance eggs on their end, dye eggs, hide eggs, make cascaron's, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascar%C3%B3n put all my stone eggs on the altar, going for a walk is great! ::coolglasses:: ...take notice of all the tender leaves and plants, I like to go barefoot if possible, then you can really connect with the waking energy of the earth. (Do be careful, one year I almost stepped on a baby rattlesnake) We might do a ritual at dawn (that alone is really powerful, especially if you are not used to getting up before the sun), possibly walk a balance beam...swing the pendulum. After the ritual we like to have breakfast so we'll eat deviled eggs and Satan's bacon (that's thick sliced bacon rolled in brown sugar and broiled), fresh squeezed orange-juice. Maybe french-toast.
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

I think I'll go to Firebirds this year! Satans bacon? Sounds scrummy!
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
nicoledianthus

Post by nicoledianthus »

So far for every sabbat Ive been decorating my altar, doing a ritual and making a feast for my FI and I. He also does all the cooking but on those days I try to cook something special, last time I made " renaissance fair turkey legs"..yum!
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

I have an in place dance I use every year as part of my Ostara ritual. I begin to visualize myself as a seed and dance the dance of plant growth.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

nicoledianthus wrote:I made " renaissance fair turkey legs"..yum!
WHAT! ren faire turkey legs...I'll be right over
-Dark-Moon- wrote:Sounds scrummy!
I'll try to save you some, not promising anything though halfsm

Cum'on Loona, lets dance! to all the joy and rhythm of the green growing things smileydance
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

firebirdflys wrote:
nicoledianthus wrote:I made " renaissance fair turkey legs"..yum!
WHAT! ren faire turkey legs...I'll be right over
Pick me up on the way? lol

I worked at a Ren Faire for a time and love Turkey Legs. I also have gone to Midevile times (I have a gobelt from there on my ancestral altar as their water container) and its fun to eat everything as they would have back then.

Sry off topic...
firebirdflys wrote:Cum'on Loona, lets dance! to all the joy and rhythm of the green growing things smileydance
The first two years I did the dance I felt silly. It was unlike anything I had done for any other ritual. Yet it seemed appropriate for this one ritual.

Here is a description of the dance:

Turn on any music you desired to use for this exercise. It should be instrumental in nature. Irish or Celtic instrumental music will work well for this. Clear the area and make sure you wont be disturbed.

Stand in the center of the area. Take note of how you feel right now. Listen to the music and let the music’s beat take an effect on your energy stance. Slowly start to move to the music.

Think of an idea you want to “grow”. This should be a new plan, a project, or something you have been working towards you want a boost on getting completed.

Bring your body to the ground. Basically be a seed. Make your body into your idea as you dance. Begin to as you feel a plant would slowly grow towards the sun move your body in this fashion. Repeat this motion over and over again.

Eventually you will get into a rhythm.

As you dance if you feel the desire to move in a circle or outside of your standing position do so. Continue to see your desire go from being a seed to a seedling, to a bud to a full mature plant for harvest. As you dance you will build speed and energy. Focus and direct this energy.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I LIKE it!!! and I love the fact that portable music is so much easier now.
thanks for sharing ::coolglasses::
BB, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I like to eat green and yellow jelly beans. I don't think I'll ever outgrow jelly beans.

Frosty
Daughter of Sekhmet
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

Now I want a jelly bean
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

ME too! Thanks for reminding me Snow....gotta get the Spring basket together. love the jellies oh and malted milk balls...danger :annoyed:
FF
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Garnetsun

Post by Garnetsun »

For Ostara, I think i'll go with cooking, decorating my room with flowers, straight from the garden. I know that my parents are preparing the soil for our future plants and vegetables; so I'm thinking about plating seeds or flowers as an offering and also as a reminder for myself not to doubt too much my path.
And Depending on the weather, i'll go to the beach, or under my porch just to be outside and enjoying nature.

But really, all your ideas are great ! I might add some things aha
"People only see what they are prepared to see."
Ever changing, ever learning, ever growing.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”