Breaking the Ties that Bind

If you'd like to share a spell or ritual or start your own online Book of Shadows, feel free to do so here.
jcrowfoot

Breaking the Ties that Bind

Post by jcrowfoot »

Here's a nifty *unbinding spell* that can be used to break a binding spell, or get rid of ambivalence towards the idea of breaking up with someone.
The specifics of this spell involve someone wanting to break up with a boyfriend, but that's an example. It can be easily altered to your purpose, and is pretty simple. There are some potential fire hazard, since the fire is used at one point of the spell to cut the ribbon/yarn/cord. If you cannot use candles, then cut that yourself instead.

EDIT: if you want to do the flip portion but can't or won't use candles, take a light stick and color the top half of it with a black sharpie marker. Let it dry by sticking the uncolored portion in a taper candle holder. When you are supposed to light the candles in the spell, crack the light stick to get it started. You can even use two of them to represent your deities in this spell, in addition to the one that's half black and half glowing.

Then, when the time comes to set up for the spell, you can take the the glow stick and make sure it's sticking black side up from the holder when you start the spell. That way, it will be glow side up when you are done.

Cutting the ties that bind: Getting rid of the compulsions to maintain relationship or ambivalence towards breaking up a relationship.

things you need:

Object representing yourself. A scarf that you like, or even a picture. A teeshirt or other shirt that fits would be ideal.

If you use the picture rather than the clothing, then have an obsidian or tiger eye stone to carry with you instead of wearing the teeshirt.

A hair or three from the boyfriend. (optional)

A dish of water, preferably in a ceramic or metal dish.

black ribbon, cord or string. black wool yarn works, or even that cord that you get cheap necklaces on. Heck, I've been known to use those black waxed shoelaces for men's shoes. Use a couple tied together if you go the shoelace route... I use about three yards for this spell of ribbon or yarn, but I've been known to use more. (The "whole nine yards" comes to mind)

A black candle and a red candle. This is a reversal sort of thing, if you can get a red AND black and a white AND black candle, this would be cool... but don't knock yourself out. It's just nice to have. It doesn't effect the effectiveness of the spell, but in this one you really should use tapers.
Take the black candle and trim off some of the wax a head of time so you can see the wick on the bottom. Give your self a good 1/8 inch (1 cm) of wick.

A pair of Scissors. You may want to buy a nice pair for this, I like those silver-tone thread scissors that they have at sewing stores... you can get some of those reasonably cheap and they look nice. But if you just have some that you really like, use those.

OR, if your athame has a nice sharp blade, use that instead.

A pot or a bowl. If you have a dutch oven, a crock pot, or a stew pot, any of these works. Just as long as it's got space and no long handles, it will work just fine. Something with a lid will work better, but you can use a black cloth in place of that instead.

If you don't have one with a lid, then just have a bell or other noise maker available when the time comes.

This does not have to be a cauldron, but if you have one, by all means use it.

Just take a black ribbon or cord, then tie your hairs around one end in a knot. Say, "This is your influence." and breathe on it three times. Then, take this and and wrap it around the object(s) representing you. You want to do this in a special way, first wrap it tight as you feel yourself woven. Then, as you go, loosen the wrap until you get a nice loop that stands well away from the object. Then wrap it tighter again. There's a reason for this that will be evident later on in the spell.

Then, cast your circle, light your candles.

Hold up your knotted bundle. "This is me." you say. "My brothers and sisters from the four directions, lord and lady, help me! I'm tied up and I can't move or breathe for what I have here!" set the bundle down.

Pick up your athame or scissors. "Lord and Lady, help me find my will. Help me break the bonds I find myself in. I shall not be alone when this is done, but this company is worse than being alone." Hold up the knife and say with conviction. Consider the bundle. "Lord and Lady, strengthen my will! I am an independent person and I deserve happiness and peace."
I reverse this negative trend in my life." Pick up the black candle, flip it over, and put it back in it's socket upside down. Scrape some of the wax out of the way, and light the other end of the taper.
"I control my Will and destiny. So Mote it Be."

Pick up the "you" bundle again. "Lady and Lord, help me find the strength. Cut whatever external boundary stays my hand in this matter."
Take the bundle, pull that loose loop from the body of the bundle, and pull it taught between your two hands. Then, place the loop over the flame and watch it sizzle, burn and break. Make sure you get both ends pulled out of the flame as soon as it gives way, and dip them in water if you are worried about the flames. Shoelaces are more likely to catch fire, but I've done this safely with thin ribbon silk ribbon, and that satin neck cord.
Once this is done, say; "The work has started. Now I find my strength of Will." Use your athame or the scissors to cut the thread repeatedly.
Then, start unraveling those strands, chanting, "I have my Will! I have my Will" over and over again. End it with a rousing, "So mote it be."
All those bits you are flinging off should go straight into that pot.
When you are done, place the lid/fabric on the cauldron/pot/thingie and make sure it rings down when you set it. (or ring a bell instead) Once you do that, say, "And stay OFF!" like you mean it.

Now, bathe your object (teeshirt/stone) in the incense smoke, whispering to it lovingly.
"I bring myself back from the brink, live free. live free. live free, I'm me!" Nine times repeated works well.
Now, put the shirt on, or the stone somewhere on your person. Wear it when you need extra courage.

Thank the Goddess and the God, and open the circle.
"Thank you Lord and Lady for your generative spark of light to bring me hope and strength for this coming trial. Thank you Brothers and Sisters of the directions for your assistance. I shall see this through.
So mote it be.
Go if you must, stay if you will. Hail and farewell!"
Open the circle as usual.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Breaking the Ties that Bind

Post by SpiritTalker »

Bumping to save

Return to “Post a Spell or Ritual”