Talking about spells

If you'd like to share a spell or ritual or start your own online Book of Shadows, feel free to do so here.
Floyd Pinkerton

Talking about spells

Post by Floyd Pinkerton »

I apologize for making yet another thread in this subforum but I've been curious for over a year now. Is it acceptable to talk about a spell after you've cast it? Regardless of whether it's taken effect or not?
YanaKhan

Re: Talking about spells

Post by YanaKhan »

Well, it's really up to you. But the common belief is you shouldn't. Not because anyone will cry witch, but because sometimes people can be nasty. Someone may ruin your spell by thinking it won't work. Maybe even without intending to.
If you are in a coven, however, it's perfectly OK to discuss your spells. But I haven't ever been in one, so I don't really know how I'd feel discussing spells. For me it's for the best to keep quiet about your spells.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I don't talk about mine after I cast them because I like to have a "set it and forget it" approach to it. I feel like it I keep thinking abut it and bringing it up, I will ruin things for myself.
If I have a friend that close to me around, I might mention it before I cast it though, but only when the subject matter comes up.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

If we talk about unfinished, not yet manifest spells then we pull their energy back to us like a yo-yo & it weakens the spell & we sabotage our own efforts.

If we talk about spells after they're done (obviously we share, discuss & critique them) it's OK as long as we've disconnected with their attaching energy, decommissioned any reusable parts & disposed of spent materials. Then there's no yo-yo-ing to the now manifest outcome. Threads have been dissolved.
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

What a timely topic.

I was discussing a spell with a friend and she was really curious about it. I said I better not talk about any details just yet as I'm not done with it. I also tend to do and be done with it, but I have discussed them later on... Haven't noticed much bad outcomes like that.
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
barker

Post by barker »

To talk about a casted spell is to turn it into a confession, of the sort that secrecy knows. The magical secret is, of course, personal experience and actually when you tell others about your own all they can do is wonder. They can't help you with it, in fact you might be weakened in your efforts to help yourself. Example:

A: "I cast a spell to create an imaginary girlfriend!"
B: "What's her name?"
A: "Josie, she's mine."
B: "OK, but like, make sure you give her time to fall in love."
A: ("Grr, why is everyone always telling me how to believe!?")

A belief shared (the magical one is peace) is basically put to white light and told to be "kind" instead of fun-loving. Magicians would rather work with mystery, you know.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Whenever I have cast a spell for someone, usually protective, I have told them how it works, and how to keep renewing it.
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

SnowCat wrote:Whenever I have cast a spell for someone, usually protective, I have told them how it works, and how to keep renewing it.

Yea, that would be a good exception. It's not chatting it up, it's getting the recipient involved.
barker

Post by barker »

I am consider someone who casts spells for others righteous. Whenever it happens to me I am rapt. I would not want them telling me everything, though... just to know that they were trustworthy.
Greek_Male_Witch

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

this is just my opinion but talking about a spell might affect its energy, especially if you talk to someone who might judge it (in their mind) or they might not want it to succeed (because they are the people you try to avoid with this spell and you do not know it)...in general I would say by experience "To Keep Silent" is a very very good advice.
What Goes Around,Comes Around!

Return to “Post a Spell or Ritual”