Witches Bottle for Protection

AnaisStar

Witches Bottle for Protection

Post by AnaisStar »

Witches Bottles are a magickal tool that have been found to date back all the way to the early 1500s. Widely used from the 1500-1700s, these tools were used mostly for protection. Witches Bottles were used to protect the witch, residents, and homes against any kind of negative energy attack such as spells and evil spirits. The bottles draw the energy into the bottle and keep it stuck there, instead of letting the energy strike its intended target.

Other items added were known as "nasties" such as broken glass, rusty nails, razor blades, etc that the energy would become stuck on, thus being contained in the bottle.

The longer the bottle remained hidden, the longer the bottle could continue to draw the negative energy and spirits into it and keep it contained. Witches went through great lengths to hide the bottles on their properties. Some were buried, or placed in hard to find places, others were even built into the structures of the houses such as in the walls or under the home's hearth.

Today Witches Bottles can be created for a number of different reasons, such as love or money drawing. You can place in the bottle anything that is symbolic to you that matches your intention for the bottle. Just as their are many paths in the Craft, so are there a multitude of ways you can create your bottle to meet your intention.

Here is the details of Witches Bottle for protection that I did today.

Items needed:

Black candle
Jar with lid or stopper
Sage or cleansing incense
Sea Salt
Deity representation if you decide to work with one
"Nasties" - such as pins, broken class, tacks, thorns, rusty or bent nails. Get creative!
Personal items - (you can substitute vinegar for this), hair, nail clippings
Protective Herbs - salt, bay leaves, black pepper, cloves, burdock root, lavender, St. John's Wort
Crystals or stones that can be used for protection if you wish

Cleanse and consecrate your jar using the salt and sage, including the lid and inside of the jar. Start to add in your items such as the herbs, "nasties", and personal items filling the jar about half way. Place the lid or stopper onto the bottle and give it a good shake to mix all the items. Then seal with wax from the black candle. I also sealed it with the wax from my Archangel Michael candle to add his protective energy.

As you add the items and seal the bottle, call upon any deity or spirit you work with to aid you in making the bottle to protect your home and all who dwell within. I called upon Archangel Michael as he is who I work with when I need protection. Put your energy, intent and focus into making the bottle to protect you and your home.

At this time you can meditate on your intention of your bottle. Feel free to chant any words you wish to, or speak with spirit as you feel called to. Its not necessary to say anything, but if you feel drawn to then you should. You can even come up with a line of a spell for each item you put in, calling upon it's spirit or energy and asking it for protection. Such as "I call upon the spirit of Lavender. Please protect me and my home and all who reside within. So mote it be"

After sealing and meditating on the bottles intention, you can add runes or sigils for protection. If you have your own property bury this at one of the farthest corners from your front door. If you live in a condo or apartment with no yard, you can bury this in a flowerpot and keep near your front door or on a porch. Another option is to keep this hidden within your house somewhere near the front door or hearth.

You can recharge this bottle or make a new one at least once a year. The best time to do this would be during a waning moon phase, at night if you can. Its not that important to wait until a waning moon, as long as your intention is strong and focused.
Hollerdoller

Re: Witches Bottle for Protection

Post by Hollerdoller »

I have a few questions about doing a witch's bottle.

the first is, can you make one for someone else? in my case, this would be my mother. it's not something I would do without her knowing, she's just not really able to cast spells. or rather, just isn't comfortable casting them herself, but is perfectly fine with me doing the casting for her, and she helps out when and if needed.

the second is about the personal items. I'm assuming that they need to be from the inhabitants of the dwelling? or do they need to be of the caster's?

third (lol and there's another one coming) with most of my banishing/protection spells, i tend to work with the sun, quite a bit. specifically the first rays of the sun in the morning. would I be able to incorperate that into the bottle, or does it have to be at night?

and last (but not least) there are two specific people's negitive energy that i'm looking to protect my mom from, and it is possible for me to get personal items from these people, would that be something i should add to the bottle, or would it just allow the bad juju from those two people in better?

thank you so much for posting this :) have a blessed, and happy day
~Hollerdoller
Do no harm, but take no shit :evilwitch:
Siona

Post by Siona »

Hollerdoller wrote:I'm assuming that they need to be from the inhabitants of the dwelling? or do they need to be of the caster's?
there are two specific people's negitive energy that i'm looking to protect my mom from, and it is possible for me to get personal items from these people, would that be something i should add to the bottle, or would it just allow the bad juju from those two people in better?
The idea behind the personal item is that it is to come from the person's body who will be protected, because that item will act as a magnet of sorts of anything negative, drawing the curse or whatever else to the bottle, and not to the person - the other objects in the bottle catch and neutralize that negativity. So you should use something from whoever you're protecting, or everyone in the household to be protected, but not something from anyone else. Urine was actually one of the more common 'personal items' way back when, but spit, or as the OP said nail clippings or a bit of hair also work, or anything of that sort.
with most of my banishing/protection spells, i tend to work with the sun, quite a bit. specifically the first rays of the sun in the morning. would I be able to incorperate that into the bottle, or does it have to be at night?
We don't have many traditional accounts of how witch bottles were made (and traditionally they were not generally made by 'witches' of the time, but by people trying to protect against them...), but the few I have seen do not mention time of day/moon phase at all. If that was ever included, it was probably part of the local custom, not something totally necessary to making the bottle, so yes, you could use your own custom here if you like. The breaking dawn has long been symbolic of chasing away dangers and bad things, so it's certainly appropriate in this case.
Hollerdoller

Post by Hollerdoller »

Thanks Siona :) I really appreciate the help
Do no harm, but take no shit :evilwitch:
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

For mine, I used items from both my DH and myself (nail, hair, spit) as we both reside here and need the protection. Originally I was going to do one for my mother but knew I needed to do my own first.

Return to “Protection Spells”