What does this all mean? (The things used for spells)

If you'd like to share a spell or ritual or start your own online Book of Shadows, feel free to do so here.
andrewanteater

What does this all mean? (The things used for spells)

Post by andrewanteater »

Well, as mentioned in my other thread, I'm a total newb to all this. I didn't know where to begin, when a question came to my mind... what gives the things you use magical properties? Is it only a certain religious/philosophical association?
It's hard to explain exactly what I mean... for example, why do you guys use pentagrams? What if they mean nothing to me? But I still wish to perform magic of my own. What if magic wands, altars, candles... all have no signifigance to me whatsoever? But if I still manage to cast spells, is it still magic? I know the main component of a spell is the energy behind it. But do I need to believe in Gods for this to work? Or can I be a total athiest and still cast spells with success? So many questions on my mind right now... perhaps I don't follow the traditional wiccan/pagan path of many people on here. Thanks in advance for answering any questions I have. =)

~Andrew
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
JBRaven
Banned Member

Re: What does this all mean? (The things used for spells)

Post by JBRaven »

I cannot speak for us all, but to me tools are just that; tools. I put energy into my tools so thus they work for me. If you do not put energy into tools then you don't need them. Magic is the conformity of reality to your will so if you do not need a pentagram good. IF you do, that too is good. These things only hold power that you lend them. Some people find it easier to direct their will through a wand. Some use their finger while others use nothing. It is your preference.
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

"These tools aren't necessary to the practice of Wicca. They do, however, enrich rituals and symbolize complex energies. The tools have no power save for that which we lend them. Some say that we should use magical tools until we no longer need them. Perhaps it's better to use them as long as you feel comfortable in doing so."
Scott Cunningham - Guide for the solitary practitioner

"I've listed the tools here because they're an integral part of Wicca, and all Wiccan tradition should utilize most if not all of them. Why? Because the tools are among the outer aspects of Wicca by which we define our religion. If you created a tradition that never utilized any of these tools, it probably wouldn't be Wiccan. Hence, the tools should be used unless you decide to forge out on your own."
Scott Cunningham - Living Wicca

"Some traditions make a great fetish of tools. This can be daunting for new witches, who sometimes think they cannot begin to cast spells untill they have acquired everything on the list. (...) Start making or acquiring tools as you need them. I have found that, whenever I had need of a tool, I suddenly acquired it by one means or another."
Eileen Holland - The Wicca Handbook

Just to grab a few books from my closet. What I'm trying to say is that opinions are varried but your own feelings matter most. If you feel that nothing attracts you to the tools then simply don't use them, the spell or ritual wont work any better if you are using tools you have no feelings for. Just go with what feels right and let go of the idea that there is one correct way of going about this.

Bless
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
Greek_Male_Witch

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

If you believe in magic, it works, if you have doubts, it won't! thats a guarantee! now about the cost, no it doesn't cost a fortune, but if you wish to manifest your goal, I think you wouldn't mind paying some candles right? Pentagram, hmm I used to be afraid of that symbol when I was christian, now I know how mistaken I was, it symbilizes the four elements, and the spirit, I wouldn't leave it outside of my magic works if I were you, but if you feel that you don't like it, then its ok, its your magic, not mine.
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Replying to an old post -

The ideal would be to have a strong enough mental focus to not need the props of tools and symbolic reminders. I‘ve used tools to help me focus thoughts. Holding something to point with makes the thought-eye-hand connection when directing energy to cast a more effective circle. Channeling beneficial energy is a real thing. I use a pentacle as a symbol of nature so I’m put on my contacts & in the right frame of mind. After some years I find I don’t need them so much now but gee, I do love me some candles just for making pretty and to act out the devotion I feel in my heart. I light a candle every day as an offering.

I believe that the human brain is wired to manifest one’s reality, including intentions. As I understand one purpose behind magic is to make us aware of manifesting consciously. Magic procedure is just the structure we use, a process, a routine to manifest the Will.

Magical properties relate to the Elements. The Elements are forms of matter air=vapor, fire=plasma, water=liquids, earth=solids, aether=astral realm. The Elements manifest intentions. Energy follows thought. Thought takes form in the aether and then manifests following the path of least resistance. We say that manifesting according to Will is magic.

Herbalism is significant for its healing potential. Plants are life-forms. They communicate their uses to our senses from their interior spirits. Our intuition is activated to “read” or to interpret the plant-spirits. A gifted gardener or herbalist can sense the pros & cons of plants.
NeverMoonAWerewolf

Post by NeverMoonAWerewolf »

Magic is your will and focus and whatever you believe in. So you could cast with a cross as well with a pentagram, and if allof it means nothing for you and you can still do it, that's great.

I can do without symbols and foci but it is more fun, and often more power, with them. I can't really describe it.

Return to “Post a Spell or Ritual”