to stock a witches kitchen

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
[AmberRose13]

to stock a witches kitchen

Post by [AmberRose13] »

I would love to hear everyones opinion on this. What are the main "ingredients" to have stocked when you often do spell work?
This is assuming that you aren't all like me and go " oooh I wanna do this spell...lets go shopping!" lol.

AmberRose
"Sometimes the measure of friendship isn't your ability to not harm but your capacity to forgive the things done to you and ask forgiveness for your own mistakes."
- R.K. Milholland
amunptah777

Post by amunptah777 »

hmmm...I think it really depends on the school of thought you're coming from.

Some people have to have a supply of variously coloured candles,

Others do the potion/kitchen/spice rack thing

Personally, I've gotta have plenty of ink and paper @ hand. :)
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

You asked this question just for me! :D :D :D

Ok, I keep a fairly well stocked cabinet. But, I'll pare it down for beginners.

Incense Supplies:

Resins:
Frankincense, Myrrh, Dragon's blood

Herbs:

Rosemary, Cedar and/or Sandalwood, Jasmine, Lavender, Chamomile, Tarragon, Cinnamon, Clove, Vervain, Allspice, Turmeric, Garlic.

Candles:
black/purple, red white, yellow. and blue.

Ribbons or Cords:

white, red, and black gold and purple.

I also keep base oils on hand, such as olive, coconut and jojoba oils.
You can use grape seed or castor oil. Mineral oil is a thing of last resort.

Hardware.

I also keep a creamer, a goblet, a crystal bowl for floating candles, candle holders, fire proof plates, several ceramic tiles, incense burners for sticks and a charcoal burner. A cauldron. A scribing tool. A long necked lighter. A candle snuffer. Squares of fabric in minimally white, black, and red for altar cloths.

Athame. Wand. Dip pens, parchment, and India ink.
Kolohe
Banned Member

Post by Kolohe »

I do have a new favorite thing and no shopping required. Lightning water- collect rain water during a thunderstorm and use it during any ritual where you want quick changes. I've used Gerolsteiner spring water (naturally carbonated spring water from Germany) in working with runes or anything with a Nordic/Germanic influence. I'll also add I think you need rock or kosher salt and sea salt- both for cleansing and for elemental influences of earth and water. I'd add dill or mint to herbs for air influence or maybe that is what tarragon is for, I like the mint also for mental clarity and alertness(note to self- get more mint) I like mineral oil, since by itself no scent it makes a good carrier oil to steep herbs or add concentrated essential oils to.

Kolohe
I am not afraid of the dark...I am the Boogeyman.
[AmberRose13]

Post by [AmberRose13] »

wow, thanks so much. for some reason I never really thought of using allspice... I'll have to try it.
"Sometimes the measure of friendship isn't your ability to not harm but your capacity to forgive the things done to you and ask forgiveness for your own mistakes."
- R.K. Milholland
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

I have lots of dried supplies.I pick in the growing seasons and dry : herbs/plants/weeds/ leaves.I have various barks and kitchen herbs too.I always have citronella,lavendar,clove,tea tree and eucalyptus essential oils,[bought for pennies in the chemists, medical standard purity] I use them medicinally and as cleaning/disinfecting aromas.I have various incenses in a large box,I stock up when they're cheap.I have all manner of stones/rocks/crystals too.Most of my supplies are found around me,so are free.I shop around for bargains also.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Allspice is a great spice for female vibes. Healing, contacting female deities, it embodies the active aspects of both Water and Earth. It makes a nice incense ingredient. IF you combine it with Yohimbe, Myrrh and Jasmine you have an accurate picture of the complete active female vibe. People use it for Mother vibe. Yes, I KNOW that's four, not three, but Allspice doesn't have the sexual component that one would expect from a mother scent.
Blazewind

Post by Blazewind »

I find myself keeping on hand a great supply of collored candles, and many kinds of insence. I buy both of those items when ever I find them on sale. I will likely never run out because I always ended up restocking when I'm not even close to needing anything. Just because I was in out in town and found some more on on sale, and decide that more could never hurt anything. I also have a good nunmber of crystals around.
Blazewind

The only truely stupid question is the one that no one had the nerve to ask.
[AmberRose13]

Post by [AmberRose13] »

Does anyone know of a website or book that tells you about the different herbs and what they can stand for? I've seen many about the different colors of the candles, but have never seen a decent herb book.
Usually I just use candles and paper for my spells. Also, for some reason, whenever I cast a circle, instead of using different colord candles to represent the elements, I found that for me, using all white just makes my spells stronger. But then again, I feel a very powerful conection to things white, especially snow. If I do a spell during a snowstorm, it seems to be more successful.
Has anyone else found something like that?

- AmberRose
- R.K. Milholland
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

There are several around the board already, AmberRose.I'll check.

http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/amethys ... herbs.html

this is good for starting out.It has lots of categories [kitchen witchery too]and is useful for correspondances.I'll see what else is around here and on my list.Back soon.

I use all manner of things that fit for me, but are not 'standard' correspondances.You are doing well, to be adapting to what works best for you.That is important.Rules and guides are there to help, but in the end it is yourself who is the best judge.I use what works.
[AmberRose13]

Post by [AmberRose13] »

thank you for the link Eretik. I will go check it out.

- Amberrose
- R.K. Milholland
Makbawehuh
Banned Member

Post by Makbawehuh »

I keep my supplies of herbs for specific magical purposes few... but that doesn't mean much, because my spice cabinet is stuffed. If I need something, there's a strong likelihood I have it. *loves to cook*

A few candles.. Black and white, and short, natural beeswax ones.

Dip pen, different colors of ink, and paper. Red, white, and black cords...

And I have a series of small knives, chisels, and picks that I use for woodworking. I like to make my own things as often as possible.

Small wooden plaques and odds and ends, of course.

Salt, and food coloring, scented oils, and muslin teabags.

I don't have much space, so everything I have has got to fit in a little altar box; There's other tools, of course, that could be listed here... Athame, wand, etc... But this is a list of the smaller stuff.

I also like to keep paints, when I have the room.
~St. Makupuff the Awesome~

"The human race will begin solving it's problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously." – Malaclypse the Younger

The Hell Law says that Hell is reserved exclusively for them that believe in it.
Further, the lowest Rung in Hell is reserved for them that believe in it on the supposition that they'll go there if they don't.

-Holy Book of Truth; The Gospel According to Fred, 3:1 (Principia Discordia)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: to stock a witches kitchen

Post by SpiritTalker »

The items i use most often are tea lights in bulk (really!) & a small assortment of votive & vigil candles & stick incense. I prefer scents like cinnamon, coffee bean, lime. Plus blackberry wine for rituals.

Other items: strainer, mortar & pestle, electric stick blender, measuring spoons, cast iron pot & lid, recycled jars, cooking herbs, a few essential oils like balsam, frankincense & myrrh

Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs is a go-to resource & there's a correspondence list in the Wicca & Witchcraft 101 section.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”