Recipes for Beauty

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Peregrine

Recipes for Beauty

Post by Peregrine »

I found this online article by a grocery store chain. Thought I'd share it here.

Publix GreenWise Market Magazine - September 2007

Recipe for Beauty
Work some makeover magic using ingredients found in the grocery aisle.

A well-stocked kitchen offers everything you need to concoct some of the most rejuvenating beauty treatments imaginable. You just have to get creative! And if by chance you're out of a key ingredient, such as olive oil, just ask a neighbor if you can borrow a cup.

"When you make beauty products at home, look for fresh ingredients such as rich oils, fresh fruits, and whole-milk dairy products," says Janice Cox, author of three best-selling books on the subject of natural beauty, including Natural Beauty at Home (Owl Books, 2002).

Today's modern beauty products descend from ancient and folk remedies, which often originated in the kitchen. "They started out of necessity and have continued because they work," Cox says.

Cox keeps these five versatile - and edible - items in stock for at-home beauty treatments:

Eggs - wonderful for making hair conditioning packs and facial masks
Oatmeal - for an all-over scrub
Lemons - to treat rough spots, such as heels and elbows
Sour cream - as a deep-cleansing and moisturizing facial mask
Baking soda - great for a soothing muscle soak
Making your own beauty products at home is easy, fun, and affordable, Cox says. "It's also relaxing to do something creative and pampering for yourself."

Foaming Vanilla Honey Bath

1 cup sweet almond oil (light olive or sesame oil may be substituted)
½ cup honey
½ cup unscented liquid soap
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Measure oil into a medium bowl; carefully stir in remaining ingredients until mixture is blended. Pour into a clean plastic bottle with a tight-fitting stopper or lid. Shake gently before using. Swirl desired amount into the bathtub under running water and step into a warm, silky escape. Keeps several days at room temperature.

Yield: Enough for 4 baths.

Courtesy of the National Honey Board

Morning Buzz Body Scrub

¼ cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon grape seed oil (olive or canola oil may be substituted)
1 egg white
¼ cup freshly ground coffee
2 tablespoons wheat germ
In mixing bowl combine buttermilk, honey, oil, and egg white; mix thoroughly. Slowly add coffee and wheat germ, being careful to avoid clumping. Scrub should be smooth and creamy but with a slight grit. Allow to stand. Apply all over in shower or bath, using a washcloth or body sponge to aid exfoliation. Rinse completely. Towel dry and apply moisturizer. Chill remaining scrub, if necessary.

Yield: 1 or 2 treatments

Courtesy of the National Honey Board

Perfect Hair Conditioner

3 teaspoons olive oil
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Mix all ingredients together and stir thoroughly. Massage into hair and cover with plastic wrap or a shower cap. Leave the conditioner on hair for 15 minutes, and then shampoo as usual. Rinse well. Use weekly to keep hair soft, radiant, and full of moisture.

Yield: 1 treatment

Courtesy of Janice Cox

Sugar Scrub

2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Mix together all ingredients. Massage into clean hands and leave on for 5 to 10 minutes. Finish off with a rich hand cream or a dab of olive oil.

Yield: 1 treatment

Courtesy of Janice Cox
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
asthesunlovesthemoon

Re: Recipes for Beauty

Post by asthesunlovesthemoon »

Love it! Absolutely amazing. I'm going to try all of them!
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I love Publix. I miss living down south for them alone.

Some others I do:

Take half of a lemon and add honey to it. Run lemon on face. Or you can juice the lemon and add honey. Then rub juice on face. Let sit for 10 mins or so and then take off with a wet towel.

I also do oily cleansing - using mostly almond oil but you can use any oil you like (coconut, olive). Take a dab and rub all over face. Then get a washcloth or steaming wet with steaming hot water. Let the towel sit on face to steam, then take off all oil and add moisturize (at night I use just argan oil)

My skin has never looked as good as it has since using these. Most people guess me to be about 10-15 years younger than I am.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Honey is fantastic for every type of skin. I use it combined with aspirin. I grind 2 - 3 aspirins and mix them with honey. Put on your face for about 10 - 15 minutes and then wash with warm water while scrubbing gently. My skin has never looked better. Just remember not to go out straight away after that masc, as your skin will be sensitive to the sun for about 1 - 2 hours.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”