Tea Safety?

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
missbelladonna

Tea Safety?

Post by missbelladonna »

Hi everyone! I just ordered some dry herbs on Ebay. These are the ones I picked:

chamomile flowers
dandelion leaf
jasmine
lavender
mandrake
myrrh
mugwort
rose buds
valerian root
eucalyptus

I intend to make tea with them as well as other things, but is there anything on this list that could be toxic or not a good idea to ingest? Also, what are some good sources for making sure whatever I blend is safe or if I can ingest them while I'm taking a certain medication.

I'd love to hear about how herbs help you guys spiritually as well :)
"Keep your heels, head, and standards high." -Coco Chanel
corvidus

Re: Tea Safety?

Post by corvidus »

The mandrake and valerian should be used with caution. They’re powerful.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

You can ask a pharmacist about herb/drug interactions. It doesn't have to be at a pharmacy that you use, if you want a little more privacy. Just let the pharmacist know that you need counseling. That's their job.
Daughter of Sekhmet
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Mugwort is not recommended for women who are pregnant or who wish to get pregnant, and mugwort is high in thujone so I wouldn't drink it for extended periods or to excess, it's hard on the liver. Valierian smells like dirty socks so tea is not for the weak of heart, and personally I wouldn't ingest mandrake at all. Always research the herbs you intend to ingest or put on your skin, some are phototoxic.
Chamomile is my favorite for sleep, however it may also be contra indicated in pregnancy.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
missbelladonna

Post by missbelladonna »

Thanks everyone! I think I'll keep mandrake, mugwort, and velerian out of my tea just to be safe lol. I'll certainly look up recipes for oils and such for them though!
"Keep your heels, head, and standards high." -Coco Chanel
CleverlyDisguised

Post by CleverlyDisguised »

Mandrake is ill advised, valerian used in tea or as a smoked substance (tossed in a fire or incense burner) promotes sleep and should be used in only small amounts. Mugwort I’m unfamiliar with so no comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”