What can I concoct with Rose Hips?

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Blu-Luna

What can I concoct with Rose Hips?

Post by Blu-Luna »

Hi everyone! I was wondering what I can concoct using wild rose hips. I planted a wild rose in my front yard and it is going wild! I'm going to have a ton of rose hips, but don't know if I can eat them or make a tea, concoct a potion, anything useful? Thanks for any tips or recipes!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: What can I concoct?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Mother Earth Living has these recipes:

Recipes
• Rose Hip Vinaigrette 
• Rose Hip Tea 
• Rose Hip and Apple Compote 
• Fluffy Cashew Cream 
• Mock Mince Pie 
• Rose Hip Jam 
• Rose Hip, Raisin, and Apple Muffins 

It'd be really fantastic if someone who likes to cook would try out the Recipies and post a topic.

I found this ROSE HIP JAM on my favorite Simply Recipies Website:

Do not use aluminum or cast iron to cook the rosehips; use stainless steel or non-reactive cookware.

INGREDIENTS
2 quarts rose hips
6 cups water
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 package SureJell pectin
1/4 teaspoon butter
3 1/2 cups sugar

Special equipment:

6 8-ounce canning jars and fresh lids
Jelly bag strainer stand (or cheesecloth over fine mesh sieve)

METHOD
1 Rinse and trim: Rinse the rose hips thoroughly.

2 Boil the rose hips: Place rose hips in a large pot. Add 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour (or longer), until rose hips are soft and mashable.

3 Mash hips and strain: Use a potato masher to mash up the rose hips into a rough purée. Transfer the rose hip mixture into the jelly bag/strainer/cheesecloth. Let strain into the bowl for at least an hour. Squeeze the jelly bag or cheesecloth to get more remaining juice out.

4 Prepare canning jars: You'll need 5 to 6 half-pint canning jars and lids. Sterilize the jars by either running them through the dishwasher, right before canning, or placing them on a rack in a large pot of water that you bring to a boil for 10 min.

5 Measure the juice: You will need 3 cups of juice for this recipe, so if you have less than 3 cups, add more water to the mixture (you can also add some boiling water to the jelly bag if you still have it set up, allowing more liquid to drain out).

6 Make the jelly: Place 3 cups of the rose hip juice in a large, wide pot. Add the lemon juice and pectin. Bring to a boil, dissolving all of the pectin. Add the sugar. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the butter. Bring to a hard boil (one that you can not reduce by stirring).

The mixture will bubble up considerably. Boil for exactly one minute. Then remove from heat and pour off into prepared canning jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace from the rim.

7 Can the jelly: If any jelly falls on the rim as your pour it into the jars, wipe the rim with a damp paper towel. Place sterilized lids on jars and rings to secure.

To ensure a good seal, and to guard against mold, you can process the jars in a water bath for 10 minutes (bacteria is already killed by the sugar). To process, place the jars on a rack in a large, tall stock pot. Cover with an inch of water and bring to a rolling boil for 10 minutes.
Then turn off the heat, remove the jars from the water, and let cool. As the jars cool you should hear a popping sound as the lids seal. The lids should seal; if not, store in the refrigerator.
Blu-Luna

Post by Blu-Luna »

Oh wow, thanks so much for the info!!! If I can get enough rose hips gathered up, I'd make that jelly and let y'all know how it turns out!!!
EveningWithAstaroth

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

Perhaps could also use rose hips as a dessert garnish, like perhaps cherry vanilla ice cream, or plain vanilla, with rose hips cut in halves and used as a topping?

First thing other than rose hip tea that came to my mind after reading this topic..... I suppose now we know where my mind is at here then? Sweets, haha.

As for rose hip tea, it is a personal favorite of mine, and while I do not have any rose hip plants growing close to me here, I did have a couple close bushes at a previous residence, where I tried and became an avid fan of the rose hip tea. One of my favorites, the other being Kava tea.

I love rose hip tea, as it has a fruity, light, pleasant flavor, at least to me.

Other than that my last thought was rose hip muffins and I see Spirit Talker has listed that as an option as well, and of course all the other great ideas she has listed.

Other than that not much else left to say, other than I am a tad bit jealous. :P
Tylluan

Post by Tylluan »

Rosehip syrup is a must. I plan to make it this year, its brilliant for fighting off coughs and colds.

Rosehip Syrup Recipe – Ingredients
•1kg rosehip: You can use either the small Dog rose (Rosa canina) or the larger Japanese rose (Rosa rugosa), both have excellent flavour.
•3 litres of water
•500g dark brown soft sugar

Rosehip Syrup Recipe – Instructions
1.Bring to the boil 2 litres of water.
2.Chop rosehips in food processor until mashed up, then add to boiling water.
3.Bring water back to the boil, then remove from heat and allow to steep for 20 minutes.
4.Pour rosehips and liquid into a scalded jelly bag (you can make one from Muslin soak it in boiling water first) and allow the juice to drip through. Gently squeeze the jelly bag to extract as much liquid as possible. Be careful not to rip the bag.
5.Add rosehip pulp back to a saucepan containing 1 litre of water and bring back to the boil. Then remove from heat and allow the contents to steep for another 20 minutes before straining through the jelly bag as in Step 3.
6.Add sugar to the strained rosehip liquid and dissolve, allow to simmer for five minutes, then pour into hot, sterilised bottles.

Makes: Approximately 2 litres
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Rose hip syrup is yummy,
though I have only made it with dried hips.

The recipe is similar to Tylluans but I start with about a
cup of hips and a cup of sugar add water to fill pan and simmer ( you may have to add water several times) until the water is reduced to a syrupy texture, this takes all day. Strain the hips, bottle and refrigerate if keeping for an extended period.
I imagine one could add horehound if they were intending to make a cough syrup.

One of my favorite things to make with rose hips is a kind of rosary type string of beads. Wild roses work best for this. Pick them before they are too smooshy then string them with a needle on a heavy thread. You could add small glass beads in-between, or symbolic beads. Use the strand as a meditation tool, or prayer beads that can be left as offerings, or used in a daily devotional.
I also made a similar strand with pomegranate pods.

The tea is excellent and very high in Vitamin C :fairy:

Enjoy the extended magic of the Rose :surprisedwitch: smiley_dance
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Hazel Moon

Re: What can I concoct with Rose Hips?

Post by Hazel Moon »

This is a recipe for rose hip soup taken from Jude's Herbal Home Remedies by Jude C. Todd.

Cover two cups of rose hips with two cups of water and simmer for two hours until rose hips are tender.

In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 cup of sugar with two tablespoons of cornstarch. Add this to the rose hip soup to thicken it. Boil briskly for three minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 cup of white wine before serving. If served cold, top with whipped cream and lemon slices.
We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
Love knows no limits, not even death.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”