Herbal help

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
SummertimeDime

Herbal help

Post by SummertimeDime »

Hi! So I just bought some herbs for spellwork, and it's my first time doing so! I'm wondering if I need to refrigerate my items (bay leaves, rosemary, peppermint leaves etc.) or if I should let them dry out?
Please fill me in with whatever knowledge you have to lend :)
Have a blessed day!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Herbal help

Post by SpiritTalker »

Tips:

Everything & everyone is connected at the spiritual level.
Plants are living beings with a spiritual presence. Get to know them by using your intuition.
The principles of Magical uses of herbs are entirely different than Medicinal uses, so don't mix your purposes.
The fewer herbs you start with, the better you will learn how each works with your energy. I've found the use of just three purposes 3-Ps covers most all needs because herbs multi-task: protection (over laps with cleansing & banishing), prosperity (attracts health and abundance) & power (adds spiritual strength).

Here's a source from realsimple.com on storing fresh herbs. Anything not used within a week should be dried for future use. Shelf life is usually a year for leaves, longer for root & bark.

A fresh bunch of basil can be treated like a bouquet of flowers: Just trim the ends, place in a glass with an inch or so of water, and place on the counter at room temperature. (The leaves will turn black if refrigerated). The basil will remain fresh for anywhere from a few days to a week. You can also try this with similar long-stemmed herbs like parsley and cilantro.

Chives, Thyme, and Rosemary

Other herbs, like chives, thyme, and rosemary, require a slightly different approach. Wrap them loosely in plastic wrap and place them in the warmest part of the refrigerator; one of the compartments in the door works perfectly. Do not wrap the herbs tightly or the trapped moisture may cause them to mold prematurely; many people like to add a crumpled paper towel to the bag as a safeguard. Do not rinse the herbs until just before using.

How to Dry Fresh Herbs

If you have more fresh herbs than you can use, dry them. Place the leaves on a plate (chopped if using basil or parsley; whole if using thyme or rosemary) and set aside in a cool, dry place for several days. Then store them in a resealable container in the refrigerator.

When to Pitch Fresh Herbs

Fresh herbs are no longer fit to use and should be discarded when the leaves turn dark or brittle, or the stems begin to show traces of mold.
SummertimeDime

Post by SummertimeDime »

Thank you very much, this was extremely helpful!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hey, you're welcome. :D

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”