Consecration Oil

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
freyja13

Consecration Oil

Post by freyja13 »

I have come upon a recipe for 'Consecration Oil' in many books; however, they never offer an explanation of what the oil is specifically used for. Is the oil to be used on the ritual tool instead of passing it through the elements? Or, is it a final touch to the Consecration after the elemental part, when one names the object or holds it close to your heart and dedicates it to a deity, a specific purpose etc...

These are all just guesses as to what I think it could be used for. Maybe, it means literally the oil is consecrated and you add it to other oil to consecrate them as well? Thus, it could be used to draw runes, or protective symbols on items, walls etc...

Any insight would be great as the recipe I have come upon is interesting, but many of the ingredients can be expensive and hard to come by in your local health food store.

Have a blessed day,
Freyja13.
:flyingwitch:
Shireside

Re: Consencration Oil

Post by Shireside »

Hey, good question--for a long time I had wondered over the point of consecration as well, to finally later accept that it is just as it sounds. To consecrate something is to make it sacred or holy...in the craft, it is to dedicate an item/tool to a new purpose, to give it an intentional connection to the Unseen you intend on working with.

Consecration is optional, but its used by new agers, magicians, trad witches, and otherwise all to make otherwise mundane tools better aligned with the Craft you intend on working them with,that they will be better suited for your workings and bring results to fruition more reliably. It is also used to dedicate something to a deity, like when preparing a statue for an altar.

I'd watch out when it comes to complicated and expensive recipes. Historically, a properly functioning consecration oil is as simple as virgin olive oil. Many folks use diluted florida water, which can be bought for $4 at a Walgreens.

It's your intention and focus on actively setting the item apart for it's purpose that matters more that the composition of the oil. I just use a good olive oil for this.
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I agree with Shireside. Plus anointing the body can be done with just a tiny dab on the forehead, both hands & feet. Don't use any essential oils if pregnant. EOs are strongly concentratrated and can be rapidly absorbed, & make you sick or pass out if they aren't diluted with a carrier oil. Any time you want to ask Deity's blessing on something, you can anoint it with a dab. Petition papers on which prayers are written are one example. Oils help to hold a psychic charge.
freyja13

Post by freyja13 »

SpiritTalker wrote:I agree with Shireside. Plus anointing the body can be done with just a tiny dab on the forehead, both hands & feet. Don't use any essential oils if pregnant. EOs are strongly concentratrated and can be rapidly absorbed, & make you sick or pass out if they aren't diluted with a carrier oil. Any time you want to ask Deity's blessing on something, you can anoint it with a dab. Petition papers on which prayers are written are one example. Oils help to hold a psychic charge.
So what can it be used for? Do I add it to other oils to consecrate them? Do I anoint myself with it to consecrate me within the circle? (That last question doesn't really make sense to me.)
What is the use for consecration oil specifically?
To consecrate objects without the usual consecration ritual?
:D
Shireside

Post by Shireside »

Shireside wrote:Consecration is optional, but its used by new agers, magicians, trad witches, and elsewise all to make otherwise mundane tools better aligned with the Craft you intend on working them with,that they will be better suited for your workings and bring results to fruition more reliably.
Can't explain the above any more clearly. Generally, you only consecrate an object one time; from then on it is 'made holy' to the deity or it is elevated above other similar tools for the working of magic, depending on your purposes.

The circle ritual method (where you bless with elements, etc) is one way of object consecration, derived from ceremonial magic. The oil method is another way of doing the same, and it can stand alone or be included as a part of a larger ceremony, depending on your personal taste in regards to simple acts vs complex ritual.

Example: I'm doing a spell to boost my charisma in an interview. I decide that I want to do a candle spell, and consecrating the candle prior to use in ritual with oil is how I do my thing. I could do the deed with simple olive oil, or I might blend a drop of rosemary, cinnamon,or other fire-type in with it to better align the consecration to the purpose of the spell. For added measure, maybe to get myself also better aligned (to help focus on the magic at hand, get in the right mode/headspace for magic), I might anoint myself as well, dabbing a little on my brow prior to visualization. I'd do this especially if I was using no tools in my working.

Hope that helps!
The map is not the territory, the facet is not the jewel.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Generally consecration oil is used as-is, stand alone, to set a seal on an object. The herbs it's made with assist in the intent to consecrate an item for sacred use. Don't over think the process :) Using the oil wouldn't replace the intent of consecration, but would assist the act. I'd assume it smells pleasant to attract the god-spirit, if you were to think of it primitively.

The way i understand the use of oils, is that they hold the psychic energy of the crafter's intention to a non-living object. The energy we produce when we charge an item is a life force, and is attracted to living substances (like olive oil or honey). Like attracts like.

You wouldn't consecrate other oils as each oil serves to aid just the purpose it was made for. You can use the oil alone or with a ritual, or do both, but any way you still need the intent.

Consecrating means we are putting a seal on a thing that sets the thing aside for holy use, and no longer for mundane use. We hence forth recognize the thing as being fit to be in the presence of deity.

We would consecrate ourselves to invoke deity, to in fact invite Deity to over lay us with Their presence. This is in fact what occurs during invocation such as Drawing Down the Moon, when the priestess channels the Goddess.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”