Will heating E.O.s ruin their effectiveness?

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Falcon_Heart27

Will heating E.O.s ruin their effectiveness?

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

Hi all!

I've got some ideas for a great "potion" (a facial cleanser/toner), and I was wondering if heating my ingredients, including essential oils, will ruin the way they work. Right now I'm toying around with the idea of a witch-hazel and moonwater base with oils of melaleuca, lavender, lemon, and maybe others, I'm not sure. I want to heat and stir the ingredients together, but I don't want to alter their effects.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this!

~Falcon
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Will heating E.O.s ruin their effectiveness?

Post by Firebird »

I would heat any ingredients that need melting or simmering first, then as it cools to maybe 105 degrees then add the oils. A certain amout will evaporate if they are too hot for very long. Especially some herbs. Rosemary has an evaporation rate of 18, meaning it evaporates very quickly and patchouli is 100, and like, never evaporates.
By the way...good to see you again! :fairy:
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Falcon_Heart27

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

firebirdflys wrote:I would heat any ingredients that need melting or simmering first, then as it cools to maybe 105 degrees then add the oils. A certain amout will evaporate if they are too hot for very long. Especially some herbs. Rosemary has an evaporation rate of 18, meaning it evaporates very quickly and patchouli is 100, and like, never evaporates.
By the way...good to see you again! :fairy:
Bb, Firebird
Okay, thank you! And yes, it's good to be back! I've been very busy lately and haven't been as magically active as I would like to be, but you all (forum members) are always in my thoughts.

~Falcon
Mystie.Graves

Post by Mystie.Graves »

Essential are typically made with heat. Through a form of distillery or slow cooking.

Plus when using some diffusers they also heat to disperse the oil into the air.

Heat should not hurt the oil, it may diffuse some of it, but if anything that can be pleasant. =)

Plus as you're working with it you'll get a good idea of how well the combination smells together.

=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
Falcon_Heart27

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

Mystie.Graves wrote:Essential are typically made with heat. Through a form of distillery or slow cooking.

Plus when using some diffusers they also heat to disperse the oil into the air.

Heat should not hurt the oil, it may diffuse some of it, but if anything that can be pleasant. =)

Plus as you're working with it you'll get a good idea of how well the combination smells together.

=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
Oh, those are some really good points! Thank you!

~Falcon

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”