Any candlemakers out there?

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Becks

Any candlemakers out there?

Post by Becks »

Hi folks, I'm hoping you can help. I would like to get back into mold pillar candle making, and I have seen it done many times by my ex. The moods were silicone and metal. I have seen both soy wax and beeswax used. Now usually there is a well left in the centre was the wax cools and contracts. Sometimes the well was too deep or caused problems. He used to have to pierce the centre with a chopstick to make sure the second pour filled the wells. I'm wondering specifically if the wax was too made too hot while adding herbs and resins? Maybe it was poured too hot? What do you think? Is there a way to minimize the well so the second pour isn't such a big production. I'd love your candle making thoughts and experiences.

Thanks a lot!
YanaKhan

Re: Any candlemakers out there?

Post by YanaKhan »

Hey, Becks,
I think you might like This thread :)
Becks

Post by Becks »

That's excellent! Thanks for that. It sounds like you are the resident candle goddess! I especially liked your information about preparing the wick. Do you ever have an issue with an unusual deep well in pillar candles, or do you think I should be able to avoid that if I don't let the wax get too hot and cool it slowly and evenly?
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Haha, candle goddess, I like that :) But sadly no, I am not, I just like candles and one day decided I could make my own instead of spending a fortune on scented candles :)
As for the well in pillar candles, I've had this problem several times and just filled the gap with more wax. I don't really know how to avoid that, because I haven't tried it, but I don't see why wouldn't it work :) Please tell me if it does.
Becks

Post by Becks »

Okay-that helps a ton! Thank you so much for that. I agree with you in that the vibes and health benefits of home made candles are huge. I find that doing work with tools (such as home made candles) adds an extra layer of power, intent, and great depth.
Clairsentient_Wolf

Post by Clairsentient_Wolf »

Becks wrote:Hi folks, I'm hoping you can help. I would like to get back into mold pillar candle making, and I have seen it done many times by my ex. The moods were silicone and metal. I have seen both soy wax and beeswax used. Now usually there is a well left in the centre was the wax cools and contracts. Sometimes the well was too deep or caused problems. He used to have to pierce the centre with a chopstick to make sure the second pour filled the wells. I'm wondering specifically if the wax was too made too hot while adding herbs and resins? Maybe it was poured too hot? What do you think? Is there a way to minimize the well so the second pour isn't such a big production. I'd love your candle making thoughts and experiences.

Thanks a lot!
I have never actually made a candle before, but I know where you can get supplies to do so. I worked at a craft store for 3 years and if you have a craft store such as Hobby Lobby, AC Moore or Michaels and such, they all have candle making supplies. You don't even have to buy like a huge boxed kit. All of it is sold separately as well. Honestly, I have helped my mom (preschool teacher) make candles for her kids too. We take crayons of different colors and melt them down into a container, glass or metal or whatever you prefer, after you place the wick down the center first. You can also reuse them so you don't have to remake them - all you have to do is turn the melted wax upside down into another container, dig out the wick that's in the bottom and re-burn. It is sooo sad that I know how to do this... :roll:
Strong men run into battle and destroy their foes;
Wise men wait for their foes to destroy themselves.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think it's a combo of things
The size of the mold could be one, bigger mold takes longer to cool, the heat of the wax to be another... and the speed of the poor. Sometimes I will pour in layers and let the let them cool a little bit in between, that helps a little, but I always seem to have one final pour in order to fill up that depression.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Clairsentient_Wolf

Post by Clairsentient_Wolf »

firebirdflys wrote:I think it's a combo of things
The size of the mold could be one, bigger mold takes longer to cool, the heat of the wax to be another... and the speed of the poor. Sometimes I will pour in layers and let the let them cool a little bit in between, that helps a little, but I always seem to have one final pour in order to fill up that depression.
Bb, Firebird
Many an intelligent word said, Firebird.
Strong men run into battle and destroy their foes;
Wise men wait for their foes to destroy themselves.
Becks

Post by Becks »

firebirdflys wrote:I think it's a combo of things
Bb, Firebird
Yes! Thanks so much guys. It's all appreciated. I do think it relates to temperature and how rapidly the wax cools. I'm gonna work it out with all the help! You rock people....as you you are awesome...not just lovers of crystals and stones! :lol:

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”