Preferred Way to Burn Incense?

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
FaithFinder

Preferred Way to Burn Incense?

Post by FaithFinder »

Just a curiosity question for you folks :) what is your preferred way to burn incense, and what are the pros and cons? I'm thinking about changing from stick incense to something else, and I'm just wondering what you guys think is best. (Obviously it depends on the person, but still.) I know there's cones, stick, loose/charcoal, etc.
keria

Re: Preferred Way to Burn Incense?

Post by keria »

I use cones because they fit in my bowl and easier cleanup than sticks. Loose would probably work too for that but I haven't seen any in my area.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I never use sticks. I prefer loose herbs on charcoal to cones even.
keria

Post by keria »

Do you just use charcoal for grills or is there a special kind?
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I'm actually moving away from incense for a few different reasons altogether. The first and foremost being my husband's sensitivity to the smoke and smells and it aggravating his asthma. But there are other reasons.

Now I use essential oils with a diffuser and, soon, I'll be switching entirely to essential oil sprays.

That being said, because the kind of incense I like only ever came in stick form, that's the form I get that particular type in. The rest have been cones because they're pretty fuss-free and I didn't have to purchase extra things (charcoal) to use it.
bluejay_1919

Post by bluejay_1919 »

I use incense every day, in stick form. It's made from charcoal so the smell is cleaner. The mess is not fun to clean up but honestly, I need a better stick holder. The one I have is too short. I burn 1-2 sticks a day and I carry it through the rooms. Each stick burns about 35 minutes.

I also use an oil diffuser, it's just a little one with a tea light under it but I love mixing different essential oils in it & coming up with different scents. It will smell up an entire room. I also have a few glass spray bottles that I use the essential oils and distilled water for room sprays. I get many compliments on that.

I have used cones before, less mess indeed. I usually don't burn incense when we have company..some people don't like the smoke.

Also, a simmering pot of Lemon, rosemary & vanilla is really nice smelling. I do this when we have company coming over and we're in the dining room visiting. Our dining room & kitchen is connected so it's smells delish for us.
1 lemon, sliced; sprigs of fresh rosemary; 1 tsp vanilla; 2 cups of water. Simmer on your stove and it will fill you room up with a clean, yummy scent.
keria

Post by keria »

Great I deal with the stovetop thing! My mom used to have orange peel, cinnamon sticks, and cloves in a pot of water on the wood stove. Now I do it during Yule.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

If cleanup for stick incense is problem, try a coffin burner. They make the smoke look pretty and are practically mess free!
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
bluejay_1919

Post by bluejay_1919 »

keria wrote:Great I deal with the stovetop thing! My mom used to have orange peel, cinnamon sticks, and cloves in a pot of water on the wood stove. Now I do it during Yule.
Lovely scent indeed ! I use something similar in my tea light oil warmer. Distilled water & a few drops each of Cinnamon bark oil, orange oil, & clove oil. This is also one of my room sprays. :)
FaithFinder

Post by FaithFinder »

Is it ever hard for you guys to find scents for options outside of sticks? I use sticks, but the mess is getting to me so I'm thinking about switching to something else. But in my area, all you can really find (besides online) are sticks. There are very few places that sell cones or oils, and I've only seen one shop with a few options for loose incense.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

keria wrote:Do you just use charcoal for grills or is there a special kind?
Special kind. They are for incense and hookah pipes. Image
bluejay_1919

Post by bluejay_1919 »

There are some really great Etsy shops that sell cones and loose incense, different herbs & whatnot.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I'm going to put a note regarding purchasing incense from the interwebs.

The brand will make a difference as to the purity, scent, and quality of the incense. If you've never purchased of a certain brand before and are unsure if you'll like it, don't buy in bulk. Get just enough so you can test it out.

I've purchased cone incense and stick incense in the past that was horrid and smoked badly (in a black, choking way) that I simply had to toss out because I couldn't use it.

When you find a brand and type you like, keep a note of what it is and who makes it. You won't regret it later. :)
keria

Post by keria »

Thank you Holdasown, I don't have much in the way of supply shops where I am or a metaphysical shop. I get my stuff at hobby stores. I have never seen those charcoal discs.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”