DIY Coffee Altar Box

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Flamewood

DIY Coffee Altar Box

Post by Flamewood »

So, awhile back I realized I needed a more practical solution for when I do rituals outdoors, as I was having difficulty getting my things back and forth from the forest where I do them (public transport here is awful!) and I saw this http://bit.ly/1RKCocB Fae travel kit by the lovely A.J. and knew I could make something like that for a miniature version of my altar make things easier.
There was only one problem: the box. Now, I am extraordinarily picky about some things, as people who know me irl would attest, and I couldn't find any boxes that I both liked and could afford. Then it occurred to me: DIY! So I went to the local craft store and bought a lovely little wood box, the kind meant for kids to paint.
This is the unstained inside of the box, to show the wood's colour, as I forgot to take a picture before I did all this.
Now, if you're wondering where the coffee fits in with all this, we're getting there.
I didn't want to use one of those really intense stains from the store, and decided to make my own. My first impulse was to use tea, but I've used tea to colour things before and that wasn't quite the colour I wanted. As I was flipping through my notes on herbs for spellwork while prepping for a ritual, I stumbled across a mention of coffee and it being associated with the element of fire. That immediately felt right. I've always had a strong bond with the element of fire, and I felt the slightly more reddish hue of coffee would be exactly what I wanted.
So, I used about a cup of coffee, mixed just under a tablespoon of the instant coffee from the back of the cupboard in with it, and set about at it. This is definitely a project that takes patience, but the results are worth it. Use a paintbrush to apply the coffee to the wood, and allow to dry (about ten, fifteen minutes). Use the corner of a damp cloth to clean any metal bits (hinges, for example) or you'll end up having to scrub them for ages like I did when I was done. Repeat until the wood is a colour you like. This was my finished result:
Make sure to use the damp cloth mentioned above to gently pat the box. This will remove any excess coffee.
Now, we just need to seal the stain. Again, I didn't want to use something store-bought, so I did some googling and came up with this: http://bit.ly/1KNE9VA
I used it and it worked beautifully. And there we have it, a perfect little portable altar box! Also, I posted in this section because I assumed this counted as a craft, forgive me if I should've posted elsewhere.
I will shortly be posting the final, finished version of this as a potable altar in the altar section with the approximate cost if anyone's curious.
Thanks for reading!
Vesca

Re: DIY Coffee Altar Box

Post by Vesca »

I've never thought about using coffee as a stain before. Thanks for sharing this! I look forward to seeing the finished product. :)
bluejay_1919

Post by bluejay_1919 »

That is beautiful!
EloquentElephant

Post by EloquentElephant »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, I think I will use this coffee staining technique in my wand.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

The color is perfect. Nice job.
Flamewood

Post by Flamewood »

AJ, no problem! I've used a set up similar to what you used in yours, just aimed at the Norse pantheon instead of the Fae. And EE, that's cool! Glad to be of help!

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”