No Poo!

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Hellebore

Re: No Poo!

Post by Hellebore »

I am a little late for this discussion but I thought I would add my input!

I have been going "no poo" with the baking soda and ACV method for almost four years and I have had great results with it. I decided to start because I found my scalp and hair would get overly greasy and I could not go more than 24 hours after a shampoo without my hair being very stringy and I had heard that the baking soda and ACV method helped with that. The adjustment period is inconvenient (that's the best word I can think of to describe it) so expect to have a lot of pony tail days during that time lol. During my adjustment period my hair would flip flop between very greasy and very dry as well as a lot of dead skin cells flaking off, the adjustment period for me lasted about 4 weeks.

The results I saw and continue to enjoy are that my hair is much less oily without being dry and I don't need to wash my hair as often as before, I can usually go 2-3 days between washes and on those days I either just rinse it with water. I also noticed an increase in hair growth after about 5 months or so which I was not expecting but was an amazing perk because my hair thinned out a lot after I had my child, my hair is now a lot thicker than it was before I went "no poo". I also noticed a change in texture, my hair had been very pin straight which I did not like and after I started baking soda and ACV my hair had more of a wave and more body. I have heard that some people notice a slight change in color as well but I did not see any change in my hair. Also if you dye your hair the color will usually last longer/ look fresher when using baking soda and ACV as opposed to conventional shampoo. Bonus: my shower drains better / clogs less without sticky conditioner going down the drains all the time.

Some tips:

-I use squeeze bottles for the mixtures (like those red ketchup bottles at restaurants) I read a lot of how to's which used spray bottles but I had trouble with the baking soda mixture clogging the spray, I bought clear squeeze bottles which I love because once you figure out your ratios you can mark levels for each ingredient on the side using sharpie markers so its easier to refill your bottles.

-To get the ingredient ratios right you have to tinker usually I started with one tablespoon to once cup of water and that was too much for my hair and scalp so I decreased the amount of baking soda by a small amount each was until I was happy with the look and texture of my hair when dry and then I stuck with that ratio.

-I used to use vanilla extract to scent my solutions but I didn't like the idea of the added alcohol in the extract so I bought vanilla pod powder which is what I use now. Sometimes (usually during the holidays :) ) I put cinnamon sticks in each bottle to scent the solutions and a lot of people use essential oils as well I don't mainly because when I started I did not own any and now I am happy with the solution I use (if it's not broken don't fix it)

Well hopefully that was not too long and even possibly helpful to someone :lol:
If anyone has any questions from me please feel free to ask :)
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

Tuesday will be my 5 week mark for no poo, and while my hair is still transitioning I am starting to see it come back around from the yuk stages.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Well today is my 7 week mark for no poo, and I think I passed through the worst of the transitional period about a week ago. ^^ Now it's just a bit dry, but I hear that's normal for the end of the transitional phase.
Sylar_pf

Post by Sylar_pf »

Hey Vesca!
Can you describe the transition period?
I'm not into the ACV method yet, but I have washed my hair several times with baking soda when it would get too greasy.
Also do you think I could still use regenerator (without the shampoo) because really love it, I don't know if I could give up the silkyness :D

Not directly on topic: does anyone wash their teeth with coconut oil? I started that few weeks ago, I add some baking soda and sage oil for whiteness and would sure recommend it to anyone. It cures cavity!
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I'm not sure what a regenerator is so I can't really comment on that...

For the transition period, the first week was ok. The second was tolerable, Weeks 3-6 were pretty oily an I wore a lot of ponytails. But at week 6 and 7, it's almost back to the way it was when I used shampoo/conditioner. It's just less dry now than it was in the past, and in another week or two I'll be able to start some other moisturizing/body/volume treatments as needed. I hear that if you wash your hair with baking soda too frequently, the transition period lasts for much longer. I washed once a week (on Wednesdays) and it seems to be doing the trick.

All I know is I'm able to wear my hair down without spending 40 minutes straightening it to make it behave before going out. ^^

I've heard about the coconut oil for washing teeth before, but I haven't quite graduated to that yet.
Sylar_pf

Post by Sylar_pf »

Regenerator is a conditioner but I was stupid so I forgot the english word for it :D

Will try that method then!
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Ahh gotcha. I've heard some people skip the shampoo and use only conditioner, but to be honest after your hair adjusts you shouldn't even need the conditioner anymore either (the apple cider vinegar is a really good moisturizer). I don't even miss my conditioner and I used to swear by it.
Sylar_pf

Post by Sylar_pf »

Okay thanks :)
Syroak

Post by Syroak »

I've never had the guts to go full no-poo, because I know I'd spend quite a while freaking out over my oily hair while it adjusts! I do only wash my hair every third day though, except on hot sweaty days... using organic/natural shampoo, because I'm allergic to most artificial stuff in shelf products. I love Lush, but they still have SLS in a lot of things, which gives me MAJOR hives. I like going all natural - the hair mask I use is straight coconut oil, which you can find tutorials for on YouTube. It really works, and it tastes great if you get any in your mouth ;)

Blessed be :)
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I've heard such great things about coconut oil from so many people. One day I'll have to start integrating that into my routines.

I definitely worried about my hair's presentability for the first few weeks, but luckily my work is pretty laid back about such things and I have a few broad headbands and corn starch at my disposal. :)

No poo isn't for everyone though, we all have different circumstances and bodies. I'd say even going to better quality shampoo and washing less frequently is in the same group.
MissBliss

Post by MissBliss »

I'm an active "no poo-er" for a couple of years. I started it because I suddenly became afraid for my skin and hair, saving money was a secondary thought at that moment. The transition was extremely hard for me, couldn't just stop using shampoo as always, just tried to wash it less with it, maybe 1-2 times a month until I managed to keep it "no poo" at all, even gave up conditioner use. Now I use only natural oils and homemade masks for my hair. Lately, I've discovered this article and decided to test some fresh recipes, like avocado with egg yolks. Sounds promising, but doubt it can't beat the honey-based one.
“Where words fail, music speaks.”

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”