No Poo!

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Vesca

No Poo!

Post by Vesca »

Made you look!

But really, No Poo is a thing. A hair thing. Get your mind out of the icky!

So here's the short and dirty run-down of what No Poo is. It's the choice to give up the use of commercially manufactured shampoo in your hair-care routine.

The most puritan method is water-only, by which you only rinse your hair without cleansing (which as far as I've been told and read up on, doesn't work). But, there are other options. The most common bare-bones method involves only cleansing your hair maybe once ever 5 days (give or take, depending on personal needs) with a baking soda/water mix (1/4 teaspoon baking soda to a glass mason jar of warm water) applied only to your scalp to clean your skin. A vinegar (or apple cider vinegar) diluted in water (1:5 ratio) for conditioning, and the occasional raw honey, coconut oil, egg white, or other treatment for conditioning and protein infusion.

Add a drop of essential oil for scent if you want.

I'm thinking of starting this challenge in the near future (there is a transitional period for the first month to 6 weeks or so that involves some unpleasant greasiness as your body adjusts to the new oil production).

If you're wondering "why" anyone would consider this, here are the most common reasons:
  • You save money! Baking soda and vinegar, in the amounts that are used, are so inexpensive compared to shampoo.

Commercially produced shampoos, conditioners (and all manner of cleansers and lotions that you put on your body daily) contain a host of hard-to-pronounce compounds that strip your body of natural oils and results in your body producing more oils to compensate- resulting in a vicious cycle of wash, get oily, wash, etc... Plus those chemicals can have long-term damaging effects to your skin and hair over time.

Many people find that going no-poo gives them stronger, healthier, more manageable hair.

It reduces waste, plastic bottles, that result from commercial products.

So has anyone ever attempted, done this, is still doing this? Share your thoughts, opinions, experiences, routines even.

I'm always looking for new ways to move away from an overproduced and "unnatural" lifestyle and move back into the basics of existence (herbalism, gardening, creating your own products as often as possible).
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No Poo!

Post by Xiao Rong »

I never committed quite as far as the baking-soda-and-vinegar-only routine, but I have weaned myself off of washing my hair daily to once every two or three days (I still use regular shampoo & conditioner). It does save a TON of money in shampoo and conditioner, since I'm using so much less product, and my hair is a whole lot healthier now! I grew it out super long and it was still amazingly strong and healthy, with no split ends or damage.

The transitional period is pretty uncomfortable, and it lasted a couple of months. So you won't see results right away. Like Vesca said, when you shampoo daily you're stripping your scalp of its natural and protective oils, so your scalp gets used to putting out a ton of oil. Once you've weaned yourself off, your scalp will still be extra oily for a while, but once it learns that it doesn't have to anymore, then your scalp doesn't get very greasy at all. (Well, okay, after 3 days you can start to see it a bit, but you can just put it up in a ponytail or add a dab of dry shampoo).

Also, hair smelling bad isn't really a problem; I'm told my hair still smells quite nice even after a few days!

So that's my experience, although I'll fully admit that I never went quite so hardcore with the no-poo lifestyle.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Thanks for sharing. :)

Not going entirely no poo seems to be pretty common. Someone else I've talked to said that she still does do a regular shampoo and conditioner wash about once a month to remove any baking soda residue, which is something I'd like to incorporate in my own (because sometimes it has a luxury feel to it).

I'm kind of thinking, based on the number of threads, blogs, forums, articles, etc... on this, that our natural oil doesn't actually have a scent? Maybe that's only sweat.
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

I make my own products most of the time! So way ahead on this one. The only products I do buy are from the health food type shops (like Joson products which are considered vegan and natural). For a body scrub I use a coffee scrub that I make with robust coffee seed, sweet almond oil, sea salt, brown sugar, orange oil and vitamin E. Sometimes I will use coconut oil instead of almond.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

That is really cool. Do you make your own makeup, lotion, or anything else?
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

I do make lip balm, eye shadow and lotion but I am not sure how to create makeup properly.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I looked into doing that kind of thing once, foundation, eyeliner, eyeshadow, lotions, soap. And so many of the recipes came out costing more just to get the raw ingredients, let alone the time to put into it, than it was to just buy what I already use.

One day I'd like to be able to get there though. But that is really cool, I love things like this!
cataluna49

Post by cataluna49 »

I have been no poo for like 8 months now and I am loving it. I use the baking soda/ACV method, and my hair looks better, feels better, and has grown like a weed. I wash my hair about every two weeks now.

I have very dry hair and scalp, so I use ACV on my scalp as well as the length of my hair, and I use a higher ratio of ACV to water, and a lower ratio of baking soda. I also use tea tree oil to help with my itchy scalp, NOTE: mix a few drops with your baking soda mixture, do NOT just dump on your head because it will make your hair stupid oily and the only way to get that out is with actual shampoo. Same with the coconut oil, if you use the baking soda/ACV method use super SPARINGLY.

But I love it and would totally recommend it for others. Super cheap, easy, and my hair has never been better.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Thanks for sharing Cataluna!

I'll have to keep those pointers in mind. I haven't used shampoo for 5 days now, it sounds like almost nothing but for me that's 5 days I otherwise would have shampooed (not sure that's a word) as normal.

I feel like I'm the last person to hear about this method, as most of my coworkers and other social groups have already heard of it and tried it at some point. :P
AdastraJunction
Banned Member

Due to stripping my hair to make it white (aka very platinum) I also use a homemade avocado/egg hair mask to instill protein back into my hair since the stripping process takes all the natural protein away. Works wonderfully! Everyone is a bit different so it takes awhile to dial in the "no poo" ratios and tricks. I also do the AVC/ Baking soda and tea tree but instead of coconut oil I use a bit of olive oil.
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

AdastraJunction wrote:Due to stripping my hair to make it white (aka very platinum) I also use a homemade avocado/egg hair mask to instill protein back into my hair since the stripping process takes all the natural protein away. Works wonderfully! Everyone is a bit different so it takes awhile to dial in the "no poo" ratios and tricks. I also do the AVC/ Baking soda and tea tree but instead of coconut oil I use a bit of olive oil.
AJ, can you share your avocado/egg mask? I also stripped my hair to white (I had lavender hair for awhile) and I am always looking for ways of pampering it.

And on topic: to all you folks that have tried it, do you find that ACV leaves a residual smell? My only experience with it was as part of a homemade facial and I had to stop using it because the smell was too potent for me.

I haven't gone no poo, but I have "trained" my hair to only need a wash twice a week (ok, so bleaching the hell out of helped with that, but it still looks healthy :P)
AdastraJunction
Banned Member

1 Egg (I use organic cage free) - for protein and moisture
1 avocado - nutrients and to smooth
45 ml (or 3 Tbs) of Olive oil - shine and strength
15 ml (or 1Tbs) of organic Honey - natural humectant (for split ends)

Blend all ingredients until fairly smooth. Start at the ends and massage into your hair then right into your scalp. Let sit for 15 minutes and rinse and wash with vegan or No Poo mixture. (if not using No Poo then try Wen products). I use this method once or twice a month.
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

AdastraJunction wrote:1 Egg (I use organic cage free) - for protein and moisture
1 avocado - nutrients and to smooth
45 ml (or 3 Tbs) of Olive oil - shine and strength
15 ml (or 1Tbs) of organic Honey - natural humectant (for split ends)

Blend all ingredients until fairly smooth. Start at the ends and massage into your hair then right into your scalp. Let sit for 15 minutes and rinse and wash with vegan or No Poo mixture. (if not using No Poo then try Wen products). I use this method once or twice a month.
Thank you! I'm excited to try it :D
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Syelraedhel wrote: And on topic: to all you folks that have tried it, do you find that ACV leaves a residual smell? My only experience with it was as part of a homemade facial and I had to stop using it because the smell was too potent for me.
I had my husband test this actually the other night, no smell. Vinegar neutralizes odors if you rinse it out really well (I also use white vinegar in the rinse cycle when I wash my hedgie's blankets since he gets a reaction to laundry detergent - the vinegar neutralizes the scent and any lingering allergens from the detergent and it smells like... nothing).

Thank you for sharing your recipe AJ! *copies and pastes* I had heard about the egg white protein infusion method, not about the avocado oil.
Muirìn

Post by Muirìn »

I love the avocado/egg mask, will have to try it out! Sometime I make myself one with eggs, olive oil and avocado/jojoba oil and a bit of sesame oil, a few drops of rose or ylang ylang EO. Add a tiny dab of flour if it's too liquid.
I haven't gone "No Poo", but I use Lush products, which are very close. (Unfortunately, had to give it up cause I had to change my scent... Yeah, said like that it's kinda weird).
But I wash my hair every week or even every two weeks (or basically when you can see they're getting oily) and I've never washed my face that much.
I don't use much make up, apart from red lipstick (except when I perform. Then I have at least 3 layers of make up and I hate it!)
So I think No Poo is a good path to follow if you can, but I'm happy with my "Half Poo" one ^^

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”