Sun Tea

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
springsgrace

Sun Tea

Post by springsgrace »

Hello everyone!
Since it's Beltane today, I thought I'd share a super easy and effective recipe that gives iced tea that has been charged with the sun's energies. This way of brewing tea was really popular in the 50's, but has recently become less popular because it takes some waiting and a lot of cleaning beforehand. Perfect for sabbats, feasts, or if you need a solar energy boost. You could quite easily incorporate this in to a spell or ritual. So, without further adieu, here's sun tea-

1) Get a glass jar that can hold four cups of water. It needs to be glass because the way this is brewed means chemicals from plastic containers can leach in to the tea. You will need to clean this very thoroughly with the hottest water you can in order to get rid of any bacteria that are sitting in there. Feel free to consecrate or bless the jar if you want.

2) Get five tea bags. It is better to use black tea since the caffeine can inhibit bacterial growth. You can also use the equivalent of five tea bags in loose tea if that's what you have.

3) Get four cups of water. Make sure this is bottled or you boil it beforehand. The reason I am reiterating boiling and cleaning things is because the brewing process is perfect for bacteria growth and there have been some cases of illness from sun tea. However, if you clean and sanitise your materials, you'll be fine.

4) Add water in to the glass jar and add the tea, seal and find a sunny spot in your garden. You can cleanse the spot of negative energies if you wish. Leave the tea to brew for a good few hours- I left mine from 7AM to 4PM, but earlier is probably better and equally as effective. Keep an eye on it- look for good colour, aroma and taste for an indication of readiness. It's all to your personal tastes.

5) Open the jar and observe for any possible patches of bacterial growth- if you cleaned it thoroughly there shouldn't be any at all. Pour in to tall glasses, add sugar, herbs or lemon if you want and add ice, and serve!

Serves 3-4

Blessed be! :flyingwitch:
| cerelia | oceania | eclectic wiccan |
Shub Niggurath

Re: Sun Tea

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Ohh, that's interesting! I've never heard of the sun tea before - it's brilliant. Definitely going to try the herbal tea alternative during the Summer (in 7-8 months ._.)
Thanks for sharing the recipe and happy Beltane to you, Springsgrace!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

My mother used to make sun tea. I never liked it, because it always tasted "off" to me. That was probably due to inadequate sanitary precautions.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I actually really love this for going into the winter months! Would be a great way to give myself an energetic boost when we aren't feeling the sun and his warmth. It is already freezing where I live. Thank you for sharing :)
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”