Making Magick Ink

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Making Magick Ink

Post by Seraphin »

Hiya guys!

Is there anyone know here how to make ink out of teabags? I just thought how cool it would be to craft some for writing symbols and magical seals on my paper charms and talismans. Maybe I have been looking in the wrong places :lol:. Any help would be appreciated! Many thanks!
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Making Magick Ink

Post by Xiao Rong »

Ooh! I was just looking up ink recipes the other day, and I found this one:
Brown Ink Ingredients

4 teaspoons loose tea or 4-5 teabags
1 teaspoon gum arabic
1/2 cup boiling water

Prepare the Brown Ink

Pour the boiling water over the tea. Allow the tea to steep for about 15 minutes.
Squeeze as much tea (tannin) as possible from the tea or teabags.
Stir in the gum arabic.
Strain the ink and allow it to cool before bottling it.

You can use herbal teas to obtain inks in other colors. Expect the color of the ink to change over time or after prolonged exposure to heat or sunlight.
You'd have to use a dip pen or a brush; not sure how well they'd work for a fountain pen ...

I've personally been thinking about making some ink recipes myself. We have pokeberries around here which are poisonous but apparently make for a beautiful red-violet ink, and I hear you can also make a lovely red ink out of beets.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

WOW! Thanks a million Xiao Rong! That was fast :)

I'll definitely try that now! smiley_dance

I'm glad 'coz I already have the ingredients on hand!

Many thanks again!
Seraphin

Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

No worries! Let us know how it turns out!
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

Hiya Xiao Rong!

My talisman ended up the size of a scarf because my writing skills are worthless on anything hanky-sized.

In the Brown Ink Recipe you suggested, I added some lemon peel, star anise and rose petals into the brew. Those sort of happy, positive, full of "awesomeness" herbs. :fairy:

It ended up smelling so sweet I could imagine blingy stars and groovy sparkles dancing around and coming out of the pot. :fairy: Using it as ink is okay. Though sometimes, the ink feathers out on the paper. But using a nib pen is just... bad. I didn't realize it need some extraordinary knack to write with. :lol: Until I learn some calligraphy, I'm never probably going to use a nib pen again. :mrgreen:
Seraphin

Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Oh my goodness, the charms look awesome! I like the lemon peel, star anise, and rose petals addition - that's super creative!

If you don't like the way the ink feathers out on the paper, next time consider picking up some watercolor paper (I use this multimedia paper from a sketchbook that is supposed to be able to deal with watercolor and acrylic paint. Not the best medium, but not bad either). As for the nib pen, it does take a bit of getting used to ... The reason why I suggested one was just because it's so flexible in terms of the kind of ink you can use. But I guess a brush would do just as well.
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

MANY thanks! :oops:

It took me about few hours of work to finish the talisman :lol: since I found out that the color of the tea take a while to get into the paper so I let it stay overnight.

I would definitely try all your suggestions! Water color paper and brush! Yes, yes!!! smiley_dance

Anyway, I'm staring at my nib pen right now and I'm thinking of studying calligraphy so that I can send Hogwarts Acceptance letters to my friends written on parchment sealed with wax and sent through an owl. :lol:
Seraphin

Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Anyway, I'm staring at my nib pen right now and I'm thinking of studying calligraphy so that I can send Hogwarts Acceptance letters to my friends written on parchment sealed with wax and sent through an owl. :lol:
BAHAHA! That's awesome! And yes, calligraphy is a blast. What kind of nib is it? Is it pointy or is it flat at the tip?
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

Pointy, pointy! :D
Seraphin

Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Gotcha! If I recall the movie correctly, that's the right kind of tip for that particular script (though not for the script on the outside of the envelope).
EmberMau

Post by EmberMau »

This is a schweet idea! It actually has given me some inspiration. I am intrigued by your decision to use tea. I love gum arabic for its chemical process in lithography. It's a fascinating substance and I happen to have some and will try out using some teas I just bought. I really like the talisman and if you are looking for more precision with letter-making I have a couple suggestions. One is, there is something called Masking and used in watercolor paintings for artistic embellishment. You can seal areas off on a paper so that the liquid is prevented from moving passed the line you choose to make.
And another idea, paper quality. I am obsessed with paper. Depending on the type of paper you choose to use watercolor cold or hot pressed, Hosho paper, flower paper, or drawing board, the more porous the paper the more absorbent. For finer lines use a drawing board. You won't need Masking fluid on a drawing board but you can use rubber cement, it peels like putty but keep it near ventilation cause it stinks! Masking fluid works better on more porous type papers and if you do have Hosho paper do NOT let it sit in liquid for too long... it will dissolve... literally. It works better with dry ink or liquids that dry quickly.

So yeah... I love your tea idea. I have painted with tea and used the leaves before but I have to try this. Thanks for sharing!
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

And thank you for sharing too EmberMau! Bless you!
Seraphin

Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi, I love making magical writing stuff. I have used Yarrow stalks to stick pen quills into, then using various feathers also making a paint brush out of you own hair is very cool and personal.
There was a woman here, Ravencry, who actually was my bridge to this place, she worked at a store I shopped at, she was a moderator at the time and was usually typing up something when I came by. I finally asked who you talking to, and she told me of EUTM, gave me the link and here I am...but I digress. Ravencry posted some really good work, and I encourage everyone to read her BOS and her posts. Here is her post on Magical Inks...
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 22568.html

Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Seraphin

Post by Seraphin »

Oh FF! I just saw your reply! That's just SO creative! How does she come up with these things?

Anyhow, thank you for sharing it with me! smiley_dance
Seraphin

NP

Post by NP »

Great recipe! I actually added blackberries to the mix, as well as some orange oil. That way you get this rich purply colour, plus a light scent. Though if you add blackberries, don't forget to strain the ink before you use it.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”