Black Salt

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Lillady

Black Salt

Post by Lillady »

Black Salt for rituals has long been used in European folk & African Diaspora traditions and is also known as Witch’s Salt, Sal Negro, & Drive Away Salt. Not to be confused with black lava salt or kala namak salts used in fine cuisine. Ritual black salt is not for consumption!

There are a variety of ways to craft Black Salt by using black iron pot scrapings, ground charcoal, fire pit ash, black pepper, & dyes.

Using black salt to absorb and contain negativity is not black magick. There is a misconception that working with this substance is evil. Other maligned ritual components include dark moons, counterclockwise (deosil) movements, & inverted pentagrams. This is not so! Wardings, undoings, uncrossings, binding work, journeying to the afterlife, honoring the crone, and many more important workings successfully use these practices. Black Salt is primarily Protective. Remember, only the intention of the user makes any magick malignant. Nullifying or returning negative energy to its source is not black magic unless you purposefully state intent to harm.

How to Make Black Salt:
Burn banishing herbs on a charcoal disc inside your cauldron. Allow the charcoal and herbs to burn down completely. ◦Scrape the inside of your cauldron with a sharp spoon or knife. ◦Crush the scrapings in a mortar and pestle then add plain white salt or natural sea salt. Use about twice the amount of salt as scrapings. ◦Crush and mix the salt and scrapings together while concentrating on banishing energies. ◦Put the newly created black salt into a little jar and label it.

Various Uses for Black Salt:

-keep in a dish under your or in a little bag under your pillow to negate bad dreams & ward unwanted watchers or spirits.

-cast a line across your doorways & windows to keep out evil, avoid unwanted company, and reflect slander or jealousy back to the source.

-add a bit to floor washes to cleanse your home, front walkway, & ritual area of negativity.

-add to bath water when you are feeling especially depressed, angry, & negative

-keep a bit on your person against your skin, in your desk, or taped under your chair at work or school to deflect gossips, bullies, rude coworkers, and bad bosses attention. Keep in a bowl, a tiny cloth pouch, or sprinkle a bit.

-Add to War Water, Hot Foot Powder, Graveyard Dirt, & Rattlesnake Salt for extra potency.

-Sprinkle in an enemy’s yard, office, or footsteps so that they will want to leave or move.

-Use to symbolize the waning moon, eclipses, & new moons. These are times for endings, binding work, trance & journeying to Under Realms, & uncrossing or removing curses.

-fire energy, chthonic or darker earthly Elementals & Deities, especially Crone or Triple Goddesses, War Gods, & darker forest beings.

-Mitigate the negative effects of Mercury Retrograde.

-For Spirit Callings & Ancestor works and Samhain rituals.

-Sprinkle liberally on items or possessions that you feel have bad memories or attachments to them.

Black Salt can be used in conjunction with White Salt, Sage, or Holy Water to both absorb evil & then purify yourself and space. Burn a black candle to take in negativity then a white candle to bring in pure white light.

Remember:

Black Salt absorbs negative energy so it can only be used once. Change it out or sweep it up weekly or when the air feels oppressive & mucky. When discarding black salt, consider where the negativity will go:

1)Ground it in the earth by burying it in a hidden distant place from your living and working space. Bury it at a crossroads of paths or streets. Some bury it in cemeteries or even an enemy’s yard.

2)Cast in the wind in a distant place blowing away from your home-work. Some will blow this from their hand into the four directions or at a crossroads.

3)Throw into a fire along with paper where you have written all your worries and whatever else you want to be rid off. Do not use these ashes to make any other ritual items.

4)Cast into living water meaning running active water. This will disperse the energies and cleanse them. Rivers, creeks, lakes, and oceans. Even a ditch or your toilet will do and may be very effective in ‘flushing’ unneeded or negative things out of your life!
lilmizsunshine727

Re: Black Salt

Post by lilmizsunshine727 »

Ooooo I need to save this! Thanks Hun!
Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none. -William Shakespeare
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

What a great post! This is really useful. Thank you for posting it.
PhoenixFlight

Post by PhoenixFlight »

I believe I posted this up before, but it gone sent away in all the post maintenance a little while ago...

I personally have been able to use black salt in a ground up form as well, and one rather potent creation I have use for a while as a banishing/cleansing mixture, is ground up black salt dissolved in moon water/holy water. Great little mixture to put in a small glass vial as a necklace to carry with you (be sure it's sealed up well of course!), and, I have had varying levels of success "painting" it onto wooden creations I have made, and allowing them to absorb it into them (if you use this method, be sure to properly dry it out afterwards, and seal it with some sort of finish so that it doesn't start to break down or rot on you! )
~that is an interesting notion, in it's own way~
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Lillady wrote: -add to bath water when you are feeling especially depressed, angry, & negative
I may have to do this soon. I've been working with a bath salt of lavender and white sage mixed to help me cleanse and work with my depression. Maybe black salt will help even more than the other mixture (which is gone now).
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Bump 2020
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

HOw timely, I'm just about to make some black salt and stumble upon this... Awesome.
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Lillady wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:17 pm Not to be confused with black lava salt or kala namak salts used in fine cuisine. Ritual black salt is not for consumption!
Good to know. I have some of this black Hawaiian salt and red as well. It is expensive so it would make more sense to make your own ritual salt anyway, gives it all the more energy when made by the practitioner.
Perhaps however, if one is trying to release negativity from ones self, the gourmet cuisine type might be an option.
I was just thinking, there may be some who cannot burn anything in order to get their charcoal. Your local pharmacy or health food store should have activated charcoal that one can take (usually in the cases of food poisonings) You could charge a capsule, then add to your salt.
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Hazel Moon

Post by Hazel Moon »

This is an interesting topic, and very useful, too. I've read about making black salt before, but I haven't seen something that provides this much detail and different uses for it.

I'm definitely going to take notes on this.
We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
Love knows no limits, not even death.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ya, ya know, I had a thought and didn't really finish it apparently :roll:
The gourmet type of black salt could be used to purify ones self internally.
Sprinkled on your avocado on toast with a little incantation like,
salt of my toast!
salt of rebirth!
absorb negativity,
into this black Earth!
Then eat your toast mindfully imagining the salt attaching to any negativity, absorbing it and dissolving it. This could be used not only for spiritual cleansing but as catalyst to releasing toxins and other illness form ones body.
bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Hazel Moon

Post by Hazel Moon »

That's brilliant, Firebird!
You've got a lot of good ideas.
We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
Love knows no limits, not even death.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”