Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Kassandra

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Post by Kassandra »

I brought these to a gathering the other night, and boy were they a hit. People were gathered around them, eating them like popcorn. lol So, when you scoop the seed matter out of pumpkins you've carved, save it, and make a tasty snack out of it! (note: if you like the nutty taste of sunflower seeds, you'll like these, but if that kind of taste is not to your liking, you're not going to like these, either ...that's not to say you can't cook these for your family, or give them away as gifts, etc.). For the following recipe, I used the seeds from 3 pumpkins we had carved that night.

* Separate the sinewy orange strands of pumpkin pulp from the seeds. Put the seeds in a mixing bowl

* Pour some salt over the seeds --3 table spoons or so-- and cover them with water. Let this soak for about 20-30 minutes, then drain

* Melt a couple tablespoons of butter, and mix the butter in with the seeds. Try to cover all of them

* Next, sprinkle the seeds with garlic salt, or whatever your favorite flavored salt is (you could also mix dried herbs in with the seeds, like oregano or whatever your favorite is, but I would save that step for after the seeds come out of the oven, since the herbs are already dried and further roasting them would dry all the flavor out of them). I think I'm going to try chipotle powder for the next batch I make; that should be an interesting taste, hmmm...

* Spread the seeds out on a cookie sheet. Try to separate them as much as possible so they'll get evenly heated

* Bake in an oven --I don't know, 30 minutes at 350 or so-- until they are light brown ("toasted"), then viola, munch away!

For gift-giving: soak a jar you like in soapy water to get the label off (or buy a jar, or use one you have on hand, etc. --I just enjoy "re-purposing" jars for some reason, lol). Draw and color a cool label for the jar, and adhere the label to the jar. Put the toasted seeds in the jar, tie ribbon or raffia on the jar. And there you have a tasty and memorable little gift, made by your hands, that people will love! I gave some of these to my friend's mom the other day. :wink:

Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Post by Xiao Rong »

Oooh, thanks for sharing! I love recipes that are also potential gift ideas too! Question for you, Kassandra - is there any specific kind of pumpkin that's preferable to use in this recipe, or will any ol' pumpkin do? Thanks!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

Thanks for posting your recipe! I just got done making these and they are so tasty. I'm not sure if there will be any left over to share.... ;)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Glad they worked out for you Alura. Yeah, the best gifts are the ones you really like yourself, haha.

Xiao, I've only done this with your standard "jack-o-latern" pumpkin seeds. I really couldn't say what other pumpkin seeds would or wouldn't be preferable to use in this recipe, though that's an interesting question and now I may have to do some "culinary research," hehe.

Wow, look how healthy there are. Who knew? I just like eating them 'cause they're good. https://articles.mercola.com/sites/arti ... efits.aspx

I have a crook neck squash soup recipe I'll post when I get a chance, real easy and even people that didn't like squash really liked the soup when I made it. Stay tuned....

Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Oh, if you used standard jack-o-lantern pumpkins, then that's awesome! (those seem to be the most readily available, and I didn't know if you had to use special pie pumpkins or something). Thanks!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Altairtigris

Post by Altairtigris »

I want to try these. Pumpkin and pumpkin seeds always look and smell like they'd taste really good. But the first time I scooped out a pumpkin for my kids my arm swelled up to almost 3 times the size, so I daren't in case I'm allergic :(
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

No prob, Xiao.

Altairtigris, maybe tell the kids the Halloween fairy will put a pound under each of their pillows if they scoop out the pumpkins and separate the seeds --let them do the dirty work. :wink:

River SilverWolf

Post by River SilverWolf »

Oh that's a yearly tradition for me! I love carving the pumpkin and baking the seeds after!
ANother cool use I read was taking them and marking them with runes. You can do some fun divination with the seeds! The ones that face up with the runes you use and any that are face down you don't read.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”