Can olive oil be used for candle magic?

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
GreenArcher

Can olive oil be used for candle magic?

Post by GreenArcher »

Can you put a light coat of olive oil on a candle and what are the correspondences for olive oil? Is it the same as just the olive?

(Trying to make a candle version of a lil spell)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can olive oil be used for candle magic?

Post by Firebird »

Olive oil can be used a base oil for anything and it is a great all around oil. You could infuse some herbs in it and make it really special. You start with just a little oil, 1/4 cup or less, say. Then find an herb that works to meet your ends, ...lets say you want a better memory....Rosemary is well known for it's memory strengthening properties. Then warm your oil on the stove with some rosemary, (don't boil) let cool some, strain and bottle. Use to dress your candle, or anoint yourself or others...what ever you would use oil for.
Olives and the oil have a long history in spiritual and religious practices some trees are as much as 2,000 years old. You could attribute the magical qualities of olive to your work, which are healing, protection, and peace ...among others, then add the qualities of the herb you would like to infuse. I feel it's always a bit more magical when you have made your ritual items yourself. Oil is fun and easy. Keep it chilled and try to use within a month.
Bright Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

Those are great suggestions Firefirdflys! I usually use olive oil for anointing candles, tools and sometimes the door & windowsills of my home.
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
GreenArcher

Post by GreenArcher »

Thank you, I was worried the olive oil on candles was a fire hazard. Well it might be if your not careful.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Olive oil has been used as fuel in oil lamps for millennium, but if you are dressing a candle I don't think it is going to combust in a ball of fire, is is not really that volatile of an oil. Consecrate your oil before you use it...make it holy, put it in it's own little container (like ...don't just poor it out of the Bertolli bottle :P ) charge it up...then use it for all of your oil needs.
DPhoenix wrote:for anointing candles, tools and sometimes the door & windowsills of my home.
Yeah DP it is most wonderful for that!
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

I had not even thought to use olive oil for this, but what a fantastic idea! I think I may start doing this, I have just the bottle for it. :)
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

GreenArcher wrote:Can you put a light coat of olive oil on a candle and what are the correspondences for olive oil? Is it the same as just the olive?

(Trying to make a candle version of a lil spell)
Many handmade oil infusions have olive oil as a base. It is actually a good carrier base and oil. Its effective and worth using as a base to experiment with. Ideally you would use oils infused with herbs or essential oils based on the need and intent behind the spell. However simple olive oil can be used. Just apply a small portion with intent and you have an anointing oil.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Olympic Game victors were once crowned with olive leaves & thus the tree is associated with success & victory. Olive oil was used as fuel for the Olympic Flame as well as in sacred lamps in temples & is thus approved by Deity. Olive oil was also used to anoint priests and kings & thus transfers & holds a psychic charge (blessing). It's also used as fuel for household lamps, a base for ointments and cosmetics & for cooking. The olive is used to encourage virility in men & fertility in women & thus is associated with vitality of procreative forces. It brings positive properties of success, blessing & vitality to any spell. A light application is enough. Olive oil is safe to handle undiluted where as full-strength essential oils must be diluted & avoided when pregnant because they are easily absorbed.
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

My craft is so DIY and makeshift, I use what ever I have around the house and olive oil is essential. I always keep a bottle here so it never runs out. Works like a charm. ;)
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

I use olive oil for everything! Im actually preparing some olive oil to charge under tonight's full moon and I'm making soap out of it. It is a great and inexpensive vessle.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Nerys

Post by Nerys »

Extra virgin olive oil and some cinnamon powder from a fresh bought jar add to a small sterilized clean mini jam jar and you have a good all uses candle dressing oil. Shake well before use as the cinnamon powder settles on bottom.
Here in EU sometimes very small trial bottle olive oils were sold sometimes years ago, those are useful if you have no olive oil in use in your kitchen.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”