Natural Cleaning Recipes

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Alura Noel

Natural Cleaning Recipes

Post by Alura Noel »

I have tried a few of these recipes and have really liked them. If you try them post a review of what you liked and didn't like about it or the tweaks you made to make it better for other people to benefit from it.

I found most of these recipes online, I didn't create any of these unless stated otherwise.

If your into making beauty products I have a big list of recipes in my BOS. Just look at the index and go to which page your interested in. Here's the link:

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 24255.html
[EDIT=an experiment= Alura Noel BoS]
viewtopic.php?f=98&t=24255
:fairy:

A Few Herbs and Their Beneficial Properties

Bay: antibacterial
Bergamot: antibiotic
Camphor: antibacterial
Cardamom: antibacterial
Chamomile: antibiotic, antibacterial
Cinnamon: antiviral
Citronella: antibacterial
Clove: antibiotic, antiviral
Cypress: antibacterial
Eucalyptus: antibiotic, antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial
Ginger: antibacterial
Hyssop: antifungal, antibacterial
Juniper: antifungal, antibacterial
Lavender: antibiotic, antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial
Lemon: antibiotic, antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial
Lemongrass: antibacterial

Kitchen Surfaces

All-Purpose Herbal Infused Vinegar

Part One:

1 - 1/2 cup Distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup Dried, Disinfecting herbs of your choosing(rosemary, peppermint, thyme, lemon balm, pine needles, lavender, orange or grapefruit or lemon peels)
Sterilized jar

measure out herbs into jar

Cover with white vinegar. Put lid on and shake it.

Store it for two weeks, shaking it every day or every couple of days.

Part Two:

Infused vinegar from step 1
1 cup distilled white vinegar
30-50 drops, Essential oils of your choosing ( Lemon, orange, pink grapefruit, rosemary, tea tree, eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender) Try 15 each of lemon, rosemary and tea tree :)
Fine-mesh sieve or coffee filter

Strain all the herbs out of the vinegar

Pour infused vinegar into a spray bottle along with the cup of regular white vinegar.

Add the essential oil

It will keep for months. use it wherever, counter, sink, bathtub etc.

Lemon Blast Cleaner
Great for fridges and stove tops

۩ 1 tsp liquid castile soap
۩ 1/8 cup white vinegar
۩ ¼ cup lemon juice
۩ 2 cups water
۩ 6 drops citrus seed extract
۩ 4 drops lemon, lime, orange, or eucalyptus essential oil
۩ 1 tsp borax

Combine ingredients in Plastic spray bottle. Shake well before each use.

Where can I get borax?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20-Mule-Team- ... z/20850525

Herbal Degreaser

ӂ 2 cups water
ӂ ¼ cup oil-based soap (Murphy’s is Good)
ӂ 10 drops rosemary, lavender, or citrus essential oil

Combine ingredients in Plastic spray bottle. Shake well before each use.

Microwave Cleaner

ȭ ¼ baking soda
ȭ 1 tsp vinegar
ȭ 5-6 drops thyme, lemongrass, or lemon essential oil

Combine all ingredients to make a paste. Apply to the walls and floor of the microwave with a soft cloth or sponge. Rinse well and leave the microwave door open to air-dry for about 25 minutes.

Dishwashing Liquids

Fruity Dishwashing Blend

ᵠ Liquid castile soap
ᵠ 15 drops lemon or lemongrass essential oil
ᵠ 6 drops lavender essential oil
ᵠ 5 drops bergamot essential oil

Fill 22 oz plastic squirt bottle with castile soap (diluted according to directions if using concentrate). Add the essential oils. Shake before each use.

Citrus Dishwashing Blend

Liquid castile soap
20 drops lime essential oil
10 drops sweet orange essential oil
5 drops citrus seed extract

Fill 22 oz plastic squirt bottle with castile soap (diluted according to directions if using concentrate). Add the essential oils. Shake before each use.

Herbal Dishwashing Blend

ᶲ Liquid castile soap
ᶲ 10 drops lavender essential oil
ᶲ 8 drops rosemary essential oil
ᶲ 4 drops eucalyptus essential oil

Dishwashing Blues Blend

؏ Liquid castile soap
؏ 10 drops lemon essential oil
؏ 6 drops essential oil
؏ 4 drops lavender essential oil
؏ 2 drops orange essential oil

For tough jobs:
For very greasy dishes: ¼ cup vinegar or lemon juice to the dishwater

Automatic Dishwater Detergents

Lavender Lift Automatic Dishwasher Powder

؏ 2 cups washing soda
؏ 2 cups borax
؏ 20 drops lavender essential oil

Combine all the ingredients. Store in a plastic container. Use 2 table spoons per load of dishes.

Where can I get washing soda?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Arm-Hammer-Su ... z/19407690

Super Easy Automatic Dishwasher powder

ȭ 2 cups washing soda
ȭ 1 cup borax
ȭ 1 cup baking soda

Combine all ingredients and store in a plastic container. To use, add about 2 tablespoons to the soap compartment or your dishwasher. If you find your glasses are getting a residue buildup, then reduce the amount to 1 ½ tablespoons.

Citrus Sparkle Automatic Dishwasher Powder

☼ 2 cups washing soda
☼ 2 cups borax
☼ 6 tbsp citrus acid powder
☼ 25 drops grapefruit essential oil

Combine all ingredients in a plastic container or tub. Use 2 tbsp per load of dishes.

Where can I get Citrus Acid powder?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... cid+powder

Herbal Scrubber
Use only whole dried plant material for this recipe

ᶲ ½ cup baking soda
ᶲ ½ cup dried sage leaves, coarsely ground
ᶲ ¼ cup rosemary leaves, ground

Combine all ingredients in an airtight container and shake well to blend. Sprinkle a small amount of the powder into the sink and scrub with a damp sponge. Rinse well.

Country Spice Scrubber

☼ 1 cup baking soda
☼ 3 tsp ground cinnamon
☼ 3 drops cedar or sweet orange essential oil

Combine all ingredients in an airtight container and shake well to blend. Sprinkle a small amount of the powder into the sink and scrub with a damp sponge. Rinse well.

Sink Scrubber for Stains
For stubborn stains, allow this formula to rest on the stain for several minutes.

ݘ ¼ cup borax
ݘ ¼ cup baking soda
ݘ rosemary, eucalyptus, or tea tree essential oil, 8 drops
ݘ ¾ cup vinegar for rinsing

Combine the borax, baking soda, and essential oil in an airtight container and shake well to blend. Sprinkle a small amount of the powder into the sink and scrub with a damp sponge. Rinse sink with vinegar, then with hot water.

Porcelain Sink Saver

ݘ 1 part sage, rosemary, lemon balm, thyme, or mint, fresh or dried
ݘ 1 part water

Brew a strong infusion by steeping the herb in hot water for 2 to 3 hours. Strain, reserving the liquid. Close the sink drain, pour in the liquid, and allow it to work for several hours or overnight. Note: if the stain persists, place 4 to 6 drops of yoru favorite essential oil directly on the stain for a few minutes and then scrub the spot with baking soda sprinkled on a damp sponge.

Rust Remover

ȭ ¼ cup baking soda
ȭ 5 drops essential oil of choice
ȭ Juice of half a lemon

Sprinkle baking soda directly on the rust stain. Add essential oil and sprinkle with lemon juice. Allow the mixture to sit on the stain undisturbed for several hours or overnight. Wipe away baking soda and rinse thoroughly.

Oven Cleaners

Clean accessories:
Chrome rings
Grills for gas stoves
Knobs

While cleaning your oven, these items can soak in a solution of 1 cup baking soda, ½ cup vinegar, and 4 to 6 drops essential oil of your choice. Use a fine steel wool pad or old toothbrush to remove grime from small spaces.

Serious Oven-Cleaning Formula
If you have a lot of baked on grease or food splatters, you may want to use fine steel wool to scrub those areas. Use a bit more salt if necessary.

ᵠ ½ cup salt
ᵠ ¼ cup washing soda or borax
ᵠ 16 ox baking soda
ᵠ Scant ¼ cup water
ᵠ ¾ cup white vinegar
ᵠ 10 drops thyme essential oil
ᵠ 10 drops lemon or lemongrass essential oil

1. Combine salt, washing soda, and baking soda in a plastic container or glass bowl. Add just enough water to make a paste.
2. Remove oven racks and preheat the oven to 250F for 15 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave the door open.
3. Carefully spread the paste on oven walls with a sponge or cloth and allow to set for 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Combine the vinegar and essential oils in a spray bottle and shake well. Spray the oven walls and wipe clean. Rinse well.

Mold and Mildew Busters

Herbal Disinfectant

ӂ 2 cups hot water
ӂ 5 sprigs fresh thyme or 10 drops thyme essential oil
ӂ ¼ cup borax

If using the fresh herb, bring the water to a boil and pour over the thyme sprigs in a bowl. Allow to steep for 30 minutes and then strain off the liquid into a plastic bottle. Add borax and shake well. If using essential oil, combine all ingredients in a plastic spray bottle and shake well. Spray on surfaces and wipe clean with a damp cloth or sponge.

Pine disinfectant

؏ 2 cups water
؏ 2 tsp borax
؏ 8 drops pine essential oil
؏ 4 drops cedar essential oil

Combine all ingredients in a plastic spray bottle. Shake before each use. Spray on surfaces and wipe clean with a damp cloth or sponge..

Mold and Milder Prevention Formula

☼ 2 cups water
☼ 8*10 drops citrus seed extract
☼ 2 tsp tea tree essential oil
☼ 4 drops juniper essential oil

Combine all ingredients in a plastic spray bottle. Spray area and surfaces well but do not rinse. Note: If you already have a buildup of mold or mildew, allow the spray to rest on the surface areas for a few hours. Wipe with a soft cloth, then respray the areas and let dry without rinsing.

Refrigerator & Freezer Rescue

For odor problems in your freezer:
1. Remove all contents into a cooler with ice
2. Leave door open for five minutes
3. Wipe interior of freezer with a soft cloth dampened with a solution of ½ cup water, 3 tbsp baking soda, and 6 drops eucalyptus or peppermint essential oil
4. Rinse well to remove any baking soda residue, and dry the walls, shelves, and floor of freezer thoroughly with a tea towel before replacing food.

For Fridge odors:
Use the solution recommended above to wipe down the walls, shelves and doors but increase the amount of essential oil to 10 drops.

Maintaining Freshness: (Fridge)

Coffee: Bowl of ½ cup ground coffee on shelf. Last for several weeks. You can add 5 to 7 drops of essential oil or even ground herbs like vanilla bean, mace or ginger.
Herb: Use a few stems of a blooming plant. Tie with string and hang from one of the racks. Fresh herbs should last for 2 to 3 weeks.
Unscented: Opened box of baking soda will absorb odors.

Kitchen Floors

Get rid of scruff marks:
Apply 2 to 4 drops essential oil, undiluted, and wipe clean with a cloth. Rinse with a dash of vinegar.

Pine-Fresh Floor Cleaner

☼ 1 gallon hot water
☼ 2 tbsp liquid castile soap
☼ 10 drops pine essential oil
☼ 5 drops cypress essential oil

Combine all ingredients in a bucket and mop! No rinsing necessary.

Citrus Floor Cleaner

؏ 1 gallon hot water
؏ 2 tbsp liquid castile soap
؏ 15 drops sweet orange essential oil
؏ 8 drops lemon essential oil, or ¼ cup lemon juice

Tough Dirt and Grease Formula

ᵠ 1 gallon hot water
ᵠ 2 tbsp liquid castile soap
ᵠ ¼ cup washing soda
ᵠ 1 cup vinegar
ᵠ 20 drops eucalyptus, peppermint or tea tree essential oil

Furniture Polish

3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice – or about the juice from one lemon

If using fresh lemons – remove the seeds and squeeze into the olive oil
Combine both ingredients in a small dish.
Use a clean rag to disperse the polish evenly around your wood.

Homemade Glass Cleaner

ݘ 1/4 c. rubbing alcohol
ݘ 1/4 c. white vinegar
ݘ 1 Tbsp cornstarch
ݘ 2 c. warm water

Combine everything in a spray bottle, and shake well. Shake well before using, too, as the cornstarch might settle at the bottom (and subsequently plug the spray mechanism if it’s not mixed in well).

Bathroom Cleaning

All-Natural Homemade Scouring Powder

This easy recipe for homemade scouring powder cleans everything from stuck on floor messes to tile goo. It is inexpensive to make and cleans better than store brands without the vague smell of chemical warfare..

Ingredients

ᶲ 2 parts baking soda
ᶲ 1 part salt
ᶲ 1 part borax powder
To make:

1. Pour ingredients into jar or bowl.
2. Mix or stir until well mixed.
3. If you want to make a shaker, put in a pint or quart mason jar and poke some holes in the top (carefully) with a sharp serrated knife.
To Use:

1. Lightly wet surface with water or undiluted white vinegar (for really bad messes)
2. Sprinkle powder on and let sit 5 minutes
3. Scrub with sturdy brush until clean
4. Rinse with water or vinegar (for really bad messes)

Counters, Tile, Shower, Tub

If you have it, you can use microfiber for all of these. I’ve even found it to be effective on soap scum in the shower.

If not, there are other natural options that work great too:

A 50/50 Vinegar/water solution will clean tile, counters, cabinet fronts and soap scum in the shower
A baking soda and water paste will clean stuck on gunk in the shower and tub (use vinegar instead of water for really tough stains).
For grout, I sprinkle baking soda on the floor and spray with undiluted hydrogen peroxide and scrub with a gentle toothbrush
For stained tubs and really, really tough messes, this homemade scouring powder works great, though it isn’t needed for regular cleaning
For wall tile, painted door frames, spots on the doors, outside of toilet, etc, my homemade all purpose cleaner will clean and disinfect

Toilets

About once a week, I sprinkle some baking soda around the inside of the toilet to coat, then dump a cup of undiluted white vinegar into the water. I use a reusable toilet brush to scrub and the chemical reaction of the baking soda and vinegar removes stains and any lingering smell. This also works externally (I use on the bottom of the toilet and the floor) to remove that “boy” smell from bathrooms.

I finish up toilet cleaning with a spray and wipe down with undiluted hydrogen peroxide.

The attachments are lists of Essential oils and there bacterial buster information.

:flyingwitch:
Attachments
BB2.PNG
BB1.PNG
Last edited by Firebird on Wed May 06, 2020 12:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: fixed broken link
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Natural Cleaning Recipes

Post by Firebird »

These are amazing Alura! thank you so much for posting, :flyingwitch:
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Nice. I inserted a link to this thread in my magical housecleaning thread, so that people will see and hopefully use the recipes you've included here. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by Firebird on Wed May 06, 2020 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixing broken link
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

Firebird, glad you like the post! Hope you have fun trying out some of the recipes :D

Kassandra, I read your thread on magical housecleaning and I really enjoyed it. The first picture had me laughing so much.

:flyingwitch:
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

'
http://www.crunchybetty.com/ - Found these recipes here. She has some great things that I have also posted on here.

So, lately I have been on a huge kick about trying to find ways to reuse things or re-purpose them. I thought this was a great one for people who don't have have a compost. Using leftover grapefruit (or other citrus) peels!

A "nontoxic Comet" grapefruit scouring powder.

Grapefruit Scouring Scrub Recipe

• 3 Tbsp dried, powdered grapefruit peels
• 3 Tbsp borax
• 5 Tbsp baking soda

Grapefruit- Let the peels sit out 3 to four days so they dry. Don't put them in the oven to dry them. Use a coffee grinder to grind them til they are powdered.

Combine everything in a shaker (like an old Parmesan container or use some sort of tin/glass with a lid, poke holes in the lid with a drill or something) and shake well to combine it all.

Use liberally wherever scouring is required. Be sure to rinse the scrub off well with a clean, wet sponge.

How to Use Your Grapefruit Scouring Scrub

You can use it on counters and bathtubs, stainless steel and sinks. I used mine on just about everything, and it works like a charm.

Here’s how I’ve been doing it: Just sprinkle a little bit of the scrub on the surface you want to clean, and then take a wet sponge and scrub over it. Rinse the sponge well and go over it again. If there’s still scrub left on the surface, wipe it off one more time.

It’s very important to get all of the scrub off, though, because borax is a beeyotch to get off once it dries completely.

If you’re cleaning a hard-to-sprinkle-surface (like a toilet), just sprinkle some of the scrub onto a wet sponge and go to town.

Easy-Peasy Homemade Wood Polish Recipe

Here’s what you need:

• 2 Tbsp finely grated beeswax or beeswax beads
• 6-8 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (6 if you want a firmer polish, 8 if you want your polish to be a little squishier)
• A small glass container
• A pot with about 2 inches of water in it
• A spoon

First, you want to heat up your water to steaming (not boiling). Once the water is pretty warm, put your beeswax in the glass container and then set the glass container gently into the warm-hot water, making sure the water does NOT sink into the beeswax or overflow in any way, shape or form.

By the way, doing it this way really helps avoid any beeswax mess and cuts down on cleaning time immensely (to almost zero minutes). Otherwise, you could always just use a real double boiler to melt everything, and then you’ll have to clean your double boiler after you pour it in your container.

Next, melt the beeswax completely.

Once the beeswax is melted, pour in the 6-8 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil and stir very, very well. You can remove the container from the hot water before you add the olive oil, but you might have to reheat it anyway, because the room-temperature olive oil might make the beeswax set up immediately, leaving you with big clumps floating in your oil.

You’re done. Leave it alone.

Oh, unless you want to add 10-15 drops of a lemon, tea tree, or woody – like pine or cedarwood – essential oil. Do that now and stir well.

And then leave it alone.

How to Use Your Wood Polish

First, whatever wood things you want to clean, make sure they’re lightly dusted and free of any major gunk and stains. You don’t want to trap any of that in there.

Next, you just dip your fingers or a very clean rag into the polish and scoop out a little bit.

Massage it into the wood, being careful not to miss any spots. Though you WILL be able to tell if you miss a spot – the difference is that pronounced.

You can either wipe it off immediately, if you’re in a giant rush, or – even better – after you’ve coated the wood with your wood polish, leave it alone for 20 minutes to an hour and then come back and wipe it all down again with a clean, dry rag.

Clean Your LCD and Plasma Screens With This 2-Ingredient Homemade Cleaner

Yes, it is seriously only two ingredients, but there’s a little more you should keep in mind …

We’ll do the recipe first, and then I’ll share the Very Important Screen Knowledge at the end. This won’t take long. Because … two ingredients.

Here’s what you need:
• Isopropyl alcohol
• Distilled water

In equal quantities. And you don’t even really have to measure. Just half and half. Easy as pie.
But if you WANT to measure, let’s say, oh … 1/4 c. distilled water and 1/4 c. isopropyl alcohol (at least 70%). Isopropyl alcohol is also known as rubbing alcohol.
That is it.

They need to be in a spray bottle, though. And here’s a cool thing I learned. I had a bottle of rubbing alcohol that was 1/4 full, so I filled it halfway with distilled water and then reached under my sink for one of the many wayward spray bottle tops I keep around (because they also fit perfectly on an empty bottle of Bragg’s apple cider vinegar) …
And it fit! Perfectly!

Money-Saving Truth: I just checked the price for a well-known brand of screen cleaner (and remember, most of them are just about the same thing that our homemade cleaner is) and the price for 16 oz of a name brand screen cleaner is $13.73. Would you like to know how much 16 oz of my homemade screen cleaner cost me? $1.47. That is a savings of $12.76.

So the first tip is:

• Don’t use paper towels to wipe your screens (or any delicate glass like glasses lenses, etc.). Paper towels are scratchy, and they’ll leave behind little nicks in your screen if you’re not very careful. Only use very soft old cloths (like a soft, worn T-shirt or cotton flannel) or microfiber cloths.

For as much as I enjoy reusing old things instead of buying new things, though, I have to admit that the microfiber cloth did a much better job at cleaning our LCD TV screen without a hint of streaks. It’s a very soft microfiber that’s made specifically for delicate surfaces. (And I found it in the cleaning aisle of our local grocery store.)

• Whatever cloth you DO use, though,do not use any fabric softener in the wash or dryer with it. Fabric softener will leave behind oils and other gunk that’ll leave your screens streaky and worse off than they were before.

• Never spray directly on a screen or other electronic device. Why? Because you’ll end up with water dripping into places where it DOES NOT BELONG. Like your hard drive. Or the corners of your TV screen. Always spray on the cloth first and then wipe. No drips. No fried electronics.

• Only use distilled water for screen cleaning recipes – never use tap or “regular” bottled water. Tap and bottled water contains all sorts of minerals and other chemicals that will leave behind deposits and junk on your screen. Even filtered water doesn’t remove all the heavy metals and minerals you want to avoid. Distilled water is pure and lacking anything that will eventually lead to build-up or a mucky screen.

One last thing: You can use this spray combination for all kinds of things:
• Plasma and LCD screens (of course).
• Eye glasses
• Windows/mirrors
• iPad and tablet screens
• Smart phone screens (and bodies)

Homemade Carpet or Spot Cleaner

Supplies:
White vinegar
Baking Soda (not baking powder– there is a difference!)
Lemon essential oil (optional– I use doTERRA essential oils exclusively in my home)
Old towels or rags
Directions:
1. If using the lemon essential oil, mix it with the baking soda, then sprinkle the mixture on the spot. Allow it to sit on the stain for a little while– anywhere from an hour to overnight. Lemon is a wonderful all-around cleaner, and it helps to deodorize the carpet as well. If you aren’t using the lemon, then sprinkle plain baking soda over the stain.
2. Mix a 1:1 ratio of vinegar and water in a spray bottle (remember to repurpose!) Generously spray this mixture on the baking soda and allow it to fizz.
3. Lay a towel or rag over the wet spot and press on it to absorb the moisture. I’ve heard it’s not recommended to “scrub” carpet, since it can damage the fibers. However, you can bet I’ve definitely done some scrubbing at my house in moments of desperation… *ahem* Proceed at your own risk.
4. Depending on the severity and age of the stain, you may have to repeat this process more than once.
It make take several applications, but I have had great luck at removing the toughest of stains. And, it’s all natural so you don’t have to worry about any toxic chemicals in your house. And, it sure beats driving the 80 mile round trip to town to pick up spot cleaner…

I thought this recipe is really good for those who want a cleaner that smells better than just vinegar... And another great recipe for using leftover citrus peels.

DIY All-Purpose Citrus Cleaner

You will need:
1 or 2 quart sized mason jars
A spray bottle (a repurposed one is just fine!)
White vinegar (around 1-2 quarts)
Orange, grapefruit, lemon, or lime peels (any combination of these will work, too)
3 -4 drops of lemon, grapefruit, or orange essential oil (optional)
Fill your quart jars about half full of citrus peels. Feel free to pack them in there if you need to. I used a combo of orange and grapefruit peels for this batch.
Fill the jars the rest of the way up with white vinegar. Cover tightly with a lid, give it a good shake, and then write the date on the top so you don’t forget!

Allow the peels and vinegar to steep for 2-3 weeks. (The longer it sits, the more potent it will get!)
After time has elapsed, remove the peels from the mixture and strain through a fine strainer to remove any bits of citrus that might be floating in your vinegar. Dilute 1:1 with water (one part citrus vinegar to one part water) and place in a spray bottle.
You may add 3-4 drops of your choice of essential oil if you wish at this point. It’s not absolutely necessary, but I like the extra citrusy-boost that the oils give the mixture, plus they also boost it’s cleaning power!
Use as you would your plain vinegar cleaner: on sinks, countertops, bathtubs, toilets, floors, etc!

DIY Laundry Spot Remover

Supplies:
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup liquid castile soap (I like Dr. Bronners)
1/4 cup liquid vegetable glycerin
5-10 drops of lemon essential oil
Glass spray bottle OR plastic squeeze-type bottle

Instructions:
Mix all ingredients together.
If using the essential oil, store the mixture in a glass container since lemon oil can disintegrate plastics. If you omit the essential oil, it can then be stored in a repurposed plastic bottle with a lid that allows you to squirt it out.

To use, shake well and apply liberally to spots and stains. Lightly rub the mixture into the fabric with your fingertips.
As with most spot removers, this one works best if you treat the spot immediately and allow it to soak before tossing it into the washing machine. Sometimes I’ll even allow the item to soak overnight before washing it.
I haven’t had as good results if the stain has already been washed first– but you can still give it a try.
I haven’t had any issues with this mixture discoloring clothing, but if you are concerned about that, I would definitely test it in an inconspicuous area

Crayon Remover

Lemon Essential Oil

For smaller jobs put a few drops of essential oil onto the crayon marks and rub gently and it should come off. I know this works on semi- gloss/ gloss paint but not 100 percent sure when it comes to flat paint.

If you're concerned about it taking off paint or whatnot, try it on a spot of the wall or furniture and see what it does.

'
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

'

Air Freshening with EOs

Light Bulb Ring Diffuser

This is probably the easiest way to use essential oils to freshen your home.

It's best to have a lamp that's easy to get to. Simply purchase a light bulb ring diffuser and you add a few drops of your essential oil to the diffuser then place the ring on the light bulb. As the light bulb heats up the ring it will evaporate the oil in it and make the room fragrant.

Personally, this works really good if you have a small apartment. But if your house is big, you may want to have a ring diffuser in each room.

Also, these aren't good for oddly shaped light bulbs AND you have to be careful to not get the oil onto the light bulb because it can cause the bulb to break.

Room Spritzers

This one is a bit more expensive to do because you have to buy a spray bottle to put the mixture into. Simply spray it throughout your house for a nice scent. This method is good if you want that instant scent whereas the light bulb diffuser will take a little while to heat up and spread through your home.

It is important to use GLASS spray bottles because over time the essential oil will breakdown the plastic bottle. If using essential oil anything you make it's best to store it in glass. Now, since this is being sprayed in the room some may not be bothered to put it into glass since it isn't going on your skin. It's up to you...

1. Minty Citrus Twist
Combine 4 drops Peppermint essential oil + 4 drops Wild Orange essential oil + 1 Tablespoon real vanilla extract in 8 oz of water.

2. Sweet Lavender
Combine 8 drops Lavender essential oil + 1 Tablespoon real vanilla extract in 8 oz of water.

3. Summer Citrus
Combine 3 drops Wild Orange essential oil + 3 drops Lemon essential oil + 3 drops Lime essential oil + 3 drops Grapefruit essential oil in 8 oz of water.

4. Cozy Holiday
Combine 3 drops Wild Orange essential oil + 3 drops Cassia essential oil + 3 drops Clove essential oil + 1 Tablespoon real vanilla extract in 8 oz of water.

5. Stop and Smell the Flowers
Combine 3 drops Lavender essential oil + 3 drops Geranium essential oil + 2 drops Clary Sage essential oil + 2 drops Grapefruit essential oil in 8 oz of water.

Diffusers

This option is more expensive because a diffuser is purchased. But what I like about it is that the heat doesn't damage their beneficial properties.

I always use cold-air diffusers, since anything that heats the oils can damage some of their beneficial properties.

The following blends are meant to be used in a cold-air diffuser. The type of diffusers I use require a small amount of water to which the oils are added. I generally use 4-6 drops of oil per “batch.” If you don’t have one of the components, you can still try the recipe without it.

Personally, I like this diffuser. It's one of the cheaper ones out there and isn't hard to clean.

EO= Essential Oil

1. The Wake Up Blend

This is a much-loved combo, and for good reason! It’s perfect to increase alertness, or when you need a quick pick-me-up.
2 drops Wild Orange EO + 2 drops Peppermint EO

2. Fresh and Clean

This blend is wonderful for creating a welcoming atmosphere in your home. It smells so bright and fresh:
2 drops Lavender EO + 2 drops Lemon EO + 2 drops Rosemary EO

3. Odor Eliminator

Great if you have animals... It freshens up the air in no time:
2 drops Lemon EO + 1 drop Melaleuca EO + 1 drop Lime EO + 1 drop White Fir EO + 1 drop of Cilantro EO

4. Allergy Buster

This combo is great for dealing with seasonal allergies:
2 drops Lavender EO + 2 drops Lemon EO + 2 drops Peppermint EO

5. Citrus Explosion

I love diffusing citrus blends when we have company coming over. It makes my house smell happy and clean.
1 drop Lemon EO + 1 drop Lime EO + 1 drop Wild Orange EO + 1 drop Grapefruit EO + 1 drop Bergamot EO

6. Take a Deep Breath Blend

I adore this blend for the evenings when I’m trying to slow my brain down, and I also like to diffuse it in the bedroom as I fall asleep:
1 drop Bergamot EO + 1 drop Lavender EO + 1 drop Patchouli EO + 1 drop Ylang Ylang EO

7. Respiratory Blend

This blend is very helpful when battling colds and flus that migrate to the lungs and other respiratory problems:
1 drop Lemon EO + 1 drop Lime EO + 1 drop Peppermint EO + 1 drop Rosemary EO + 1 drop Eucalyptus EO

8. Flower Garden Blend

Want your home to smell like a flower garden in full bloom? Try this one:
1 drop Clary Sage EO + 1 drop Geranium EO + 1 drop Lavender EO + 1 drop Roman Chamomile EO

9. The Man-Cave Blend

I think this combo smells very masculine and woodsy… Although I enjoy it too. ;)
2 drops White Fir EO + 2 drops Cypress EO + 2 drops Wintergreen EO

10. Bug Repellent Blend

This combo isn’t one that I’d necessarily wear as perfume, but it contains a collection of oils that most creepy-crawlies dislike:
1 drop Lemongrass EO + 1 drop Melaleuca EO + 1 drop Thyme EO + 1 drop Eucalyptus EO + 1 drop Rosemary EO

Here's some more recipes using a diffuser: http://www.aromaweb.com/recipes/aromath ... ecipes.asp

More diffusing options: http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/diffu.asp

'
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

Just an update: http://happymoneysaver.com/homemade-dis ... detergent/

I Tried this dishwasher soap and man, it didn't work out well. It left a white film all over the dishes and even worse with the food containers.

If anyone has hard water, you;ll get this bad film. So, I'd think twice about making these automatic dishwasher recipes. Or if you do try them, make a tiny batch first to see how it works.

I'm pretty sure you can also call the water department (if you life in the states) and find out how hard the water is in your area. Or if you use well water, get the water salts etc to soften the water so this residue doesn't happen or not as bad.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

So many great recipes. I am going to have to try a few. Thanks for posting.
Xx

Post by Xx »

This is great. I've been trying to find natural cleaners to stop using harsh chemicals. I wish there was a way to save this in a favorite folder on the site. Thanks for posting it!

Edit*
I found the bookmark this topic icon!
Silus7
Location: ~8~nel dominio della padrona acquatica della luna~8~

Post by Silus7 »

Melaleuca is AMAZING! You can use it in everything to clean your home with as well as to wash your clothes! My mother used melaleuca in everything growing up so its my solution to everything.

~*PadronaDellaLuna**~
*MysticUrbanGypsy*

~*Silus7*~

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”