Brighid's Cross Question

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
raynelae

Brighid's Cross Question

Post by raynelae »

I'm making my first Brighid's cross this year for Imbolc :) but after I make it, I don't know what to do with it. Should I hang it on my room's door or what? Thanks for reading this!
Blessings...and happy Imbolc!
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brighid's Cross Question

Post by Firebird »

I like to put mine on the front door of the house, but the door of your room is just fine. I really have them everywhere. Especially on the Altar. Typically you are to burn last years crosses and make new ones on the Holiday. I usually make them out of cattail (typha latifolia). Some kind of reed is usually used. But bendable twigs, heavy grasses, wheat are also used. When I use cattail, however, I use some glue too, because as it dries..it becomes looser, and they are so beautiful, I don't always burn them. Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

And that brings us to the Catholic tradition of formung a cross from the palms distributed on Palm Sunday, and then burning the dried palms the following year. Which of course is where the ashes for Ash Wednesday come from.

Frosty
Daughter of Sekhmet
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

ahhh, see....?! I wonder which came first the Brighdes' cross or palm Sunday??? It's not quite a year for the Ash Wed, I wonder what the significance is of the time span. We have the "new life springs from the ashes" yet it will be about 6 or so more weeks till Spring (or Easter) arrives.
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

I'm making mine out of red and white pipe cleaners. I'll probably hang it on my room's door. Sure won't want to burn it...they're very pretty. Thanks for the replies both of you :)
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

And I'm not sure which came first Palm Sunday or Brighid's crosses but I'm guessing the latter because Paganism (and the Goddess Brighid for that matter) has been around longer than Christianity. Just my guess..

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”