Mospquitos & Kitchen Magick

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
AngHazel

Mospquitos & Kitchen Magick

Post by AngHazel »

Blessings all,

I'm not sure if this post is in the right place. I've been toying with the idea of placing it here or in Q&A.

Every summer I seem to be eaten alive by mosquitos. I understand I will be bit by mosquitos when I'm in my backyard, but now they are also dwelling inside my house. I'll be honest, I have swatted a few mosquitos in my day but I really don't want to buy a bug zapper and kill them.

I did some research and planted basil in my front garden along with some rosemary. In the backyard, I'll burn a citranella candle. These seem to (sometimes) work to keep them at bay. MY real issue is with the mosquitos inside. Last night I awoke and counted 14 bites along my arms, hands and neck.

Do you have any suggestions as to what scents I should burn in my kitchen or oils I can make and perhaps spray around the house to keep these creatures from attacking my baby nieces, me and my husband. BTW "OFF" spray really doesn't work. I'm starting to think NY mosquitos are immune to it LOL.

Thanks and Blessed Be.
Raconteuse

Re: Mospquitos & Kitchen Magick

Post by Raconteuse »

a spray mixture of these essential oils (in equal parts in what ever mix you like) will do the trick and make everything smell lovely! One scent alone will not have the full effect.

Lavender, Marjoram, Cedar, Clove, Eucalyptus, Lemon Eucalyptus, Pepermint, and Tea Tree
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

why not burn a citronella candle inside too?
AngHazel

Post by AngHazel »

Excellent suggestion Sy, but I prefer not to have candles burning through the night while I sleep :)
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

cant blame ya there about that well theres always good ol deep woods off spray
Tasariel

Post by Tasariel »

You can always buy a citronella plant, and maybe put it by the window. They're VERY fragrant, about as strong or stronger than candles. They're also called mosquito plants sometimes, that's what my grocery store was selling them as.
Fen Farm Witch

Post by Fen Farm Witch »

Cinnamon oil is actually better than most chemical repellents. Mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide (your breath) and so lighting a candle actually may be the wrong thing to do as candles give off carbon dioxide. Planting lemon balm or lemon verbanum around the house can be good, but then some bugs are attracted to citrus smells. Tansy and daisy fleabane are the best wild sources of insect repellent but fleabane can be as bad for us as it is for the bugs. Best used as a "bug bomb" in the room and then let it clear out before you sleep in it. Vitamin B and garlic, sweated through the skin, slows down bugs but may not stop them. For best results though cinnamon oil work better than even DEET (it just doesn't last as long).
Cyphir

Post by Cyphir »

Another option would be to buy a mosquito net that you can hang/drape over your bed. I would honestly try the other options first, but if the problem persists the net should do the trick.
laruna

Post by laruna »

I'm not sure how long it lasts, but i have heard that crushing the basil and rubbing it directly in the skin is at least a quick solution to the mosquito.... but like i said, i cannot be sure how long it lasts or of its effectiveness..
Amethyst_Stargazer

Post by Amethyst_Stargazer »

Another thing that works is a dryer sheet (like Bounce, Snuggle, etc). For some reason, they hate the smell of those. I usually will rub one on my arms and clothing and then put one in my pocket (with part of it sticking out) if I'm going to be outside for awhile. Works! Sounds nuts, but it does!
orestes903

Post by orestes903 »

I have also heard if you mix any of the above essential oils with some apple cider vinegar (1/2 cup?) that it'll amplify the effect. I'm not sure though hanging cloves of garlic on window sills have always worked for me. Also I would try to prevent as many mosquitoes as possible from spawning in your yard. They have to have standing water for their larvae. Sometimes just stoping water from pooling up can do wonders!

Orestes
Tornadofire-Sylva

Post by Tornadofire-Sylva »

Yes, also, a Basil herb pillow/ satchel in your bed might do the trick at night.
“If you’re going through hell, keep going.” -Winston Churchill
AspenGlow

Post by AspenGlow »

These are some great suggestions. I especially love the oil blend and citronella plant!! :D
Truthseeker

Post by Truthseeker »

Coleman (same as makes other camping stuff) puts out a very good all natural pump spray bug repellant. We use it all the time and it works really well, under $5 a bottle. they don't bite me so much but they eat my husband alive, too, so we have to use something if we are outside. I don't know where you live but we get it at Walmart. It is called 'Coleman botanicals'. It is made from lemon eucalyptus oil, is DEET free and lasts 6 hours. Good luck !

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”