Wand-making

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Ravencry

Re: Wand-making

Post by Ravencry »

I'm not really the type to use traditional woods, so I think mistletoe wood would be awesome!
I love the colour of the eucalyptus wood. Once, I found a branch that was really dark burgundy colour. That wand got stolen, though D:
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

If u hadnt made an apricot i think i would have a fig wand.
There are some trees near my house. I think i will agree with Raven.
WhiteOne

Post by WhiteOne »

I have just picked some mistletoe. The pieces that I picked are not big enough to use for a long wand--however, I have seen some large "branches" of it. It is a parasite, and the base can grow quite thick and woody. I do not know how long it gets (not as long as a tree branch)--although I never thought of using a shrub like sage for a wand and it can be obviously successful. I think it is usually very green, but when it dies it becomes woody.
What would you make a mistletoe wand for--any special qualities? I would like to see a mistletoe wand. It is a pleasant idea.
We have a lot of mistletoe around here--it even grows on Junipers (or some close relative of mistletoe).
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

Even if the mistletoe is thin you can put 3 of the branches together, maybe weeve them.
A book i have says mistletoe is related to love (hence the kissing under it ), and protection.
WhiteOne

Post by WhiteOne »

That sounds really beautiful, Witch13. And mistletoe has such a distinctive growth pattern. I am glad you are not so resigned to conventional woods, Ravencry! These ideas, by you both, seem really great to me.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I also like to use mistletoe to keep relationships together (since it grows on trees, but doesn't kill the tree, they work together, making each other stronger) I like mistletoe for this :D
Veronica_Rose

Post by Veronica_Rose »

Hey, does anyone know if there are any magickal properties in a Buckeye tree? Cuz I have a Buckeye tree in my yard, and I was thinking of making a wand from of of it's branches....
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."

Brightest Blessings xx Veronica Rose
Asch

Post by Asch »

Dunnoe but this is a link to a decent list of woods and their magical properties, don't know much about buckeye myself so I'm not sure what general categories it would fit.
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

Buckeye is a tree in the family of chestnuts.
So if you want more information check out chestnut wood properties.
As far as i know chestnuts are symbols of love, like most nuts are! Also i find it well connected with winter and the new year! warmth and comfyness!
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

luck, divination, money, wealth, prosperity

What I do, when it comes to using woods that I aren't 'traditional' is I follow the uses of the herb in general.
Ember Nightwolf

Post by Ember Nightwolf »

Thank you so much for this post, it's really helpful! I just have a question, though. Do you know what kind of properties conker/horse chestnut trees have? I have one in my garden which I planted myself when I was really young, and a wand from that tree will probably be more magically empowered for me other than any other tree I'm likely to come across! Once again, thank you for this post : ) Blessed Be, ENW.
There are three sides to a coin.
Moon Gazer

Post by Moon Gazer »

Beautiful wands! I intend to make one this year so thank you for this information.

Just a question please, if you are taking a live branch from a tree, is there any particular time of year that you should (or shouldn't) take one? And how would you take it without damaging the tree please?
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

You should take a living branch after you talk to the tree and explain the reason you want it. then its traditional to leave something in return such as water, flour, or something else you find fit(salt damages the plants). As for when you should take it, the answer is when the tree is not producing fruit! i took mine shortly after the tree stopped making apricots. Although if you really want that particular wood and the tree is fruiting then ask and see what happens!
Aaah, depending on the thickness of the branch you can use either gardener's scissors or a handsaw!
It would be violent to break the branch, at least more violent than the saw. I used a saw and i cut the piece i wanted in less than 5 minutes, then i put some water on the "wound" cause i thought Hey, i would want something cool where i am hurt.
i hope this helps!
What kind of wood are you thinking of? Also before you cut a branch look around there might be some fallen wood.
Moon Gazer

Post by Moon Gazer »

Witch13 wrote:You should take a living branch after you talk to the tree and explain the reason you want it. then its traditional to leave something in return such as water, flour, or something else you find fit(salt damages the plants). As for when you should take it, the answer is when the tree is not producing fruit! i took mine shortly after the tree stopped making apricots. Although if you really want that particular wood and the tree is fruiting then ask and see what happens!
Aaah, depending on the thickness of the branch you can use either gardener's scissors or a handsaw!
It would be violent to break the branch, at least more violent than the saw. I used a saw and i cut the piece i wanted in less than 5 minutes, then i put some water on the "wound" cause i thought Hey, i would want something cool where i am hurt.
i hope this helps!
What kind of wood are you thinking of? Also before you cut a branch look around there might be some fallen wood.
Thanks for this very helpful. I havent yet decided on a particular wood, once the weather warms up we do lots of walks with the kids so just thought I see if I felt a particular connection to any particular tree.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

The properties for horse chestnut:
Money, Healing

The time of year doesn't matter, I just don't cut any in Spring, because they are re-growing. try in Autumn or Summer, those seasons always work best for me.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”